Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Odometer

paseoh

Sorry, I posted a similar message in the Corolla forum but didn't get any answers.....

Looking to buy an '01 Corolla........at issue: the screws on the instrument panel(by odometer etc.) are rusted.

Does this indicate tampering, panel replaced, odometer rollback?

Or can this rusting occur on its own/by another means?

Please help me, I think my purchase may hinder on whether I can trust the odometer reading or not (42k). Mechanically the car seems great (checked by mecahnic) but I want to be sure how many clicks this car has seen.

VIN searches did not yield any red-flag results, but the searches provided no odometer readings.

Anyway.........rusty screws --> problem or not? Please any input

not sure about whether the mileage is correct or not, BUT I would be rather concerned that the internal fixings are rusty. Isn't the bad weather supposed to be outside the car.

My car is 15 years old and there are no rusty screws inside it.

i guess i'm hoping someone will have seen this issue before, and know the possible cause

or should i assume the worst with an instrument panel tamper.....if this is a possibility are there other things i can look for

Are there any signs of broken glass in the car?

Might have had a broken screen at sometime and the rain got in :thumbsup:

nope no signs of broken glass.......i know the car sat outside, without really being driven for all of last winter.......could that be an issue?

(I didn't really imagine it would, I've never really parked my car inside, and don't have this problem)

any ideas of what might cause that.............the condensation that is

my first thought(& most worrisome) was that the screws (originals) were replaced and they rusted (not rust-proof)

should i be concerned, would you?

You have cold winters with bright sunshine right? :yes:

Freezing cold + hot sun = condensation :thumbsup:

If the car was never run up and left outside I yhink it would have been a well damp enviroment in there ;)

i think i just want someone to reply: don't worry about , not that big a deal.......

but i'd rather know if it is or not

that is the weather around here........well you've relieved some of my doubts, i guess that is possible

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links