Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Should I Swap A St202 For A St185?

sid-uk

hey guy's i've got the chance of a st185 on a h plate, uk car pushing 245bhp, nice looking car, he is interested in my st202 import gt, both cars are black and both look in good nick,will i regret going back a gen or will the boost give me all the thrill that i get from the looks of mine,someone who has done it already please help me make my mind up, mine is a 94 l reg import, auto, totally standard but with only 60000 on the clock, help

dont rush it.

yes, it is worth swapping the cars from a performance point of view, but unless you know the turbo set up then make sure someone who does looks at it, the engineered principals of the 3sgte are far far removed from the 3sge and it can be a mine field of problems unless you get a good one.

you have expected higher running costs and fuel consumption?

higher running costs are mainly applicable if it has been ran for extended periods outside of its range of thermal efficiency, or with poor oil, or with other poor service products, like cheap oil filters without the non return valve or cack coolant.

If the guy is on the net, why dont you get him to come on this forum so he can be asked the relavant questions, is he a GT4OC or Celica Club UK member, as I may well know of the car itself.

I'm always glad to help, and of course, mine is for sale.

are you looking for a long term prospect or are you looking for a introduction into a more powerful car. the GT4 is a great car to learn in, however at 243BHP with the drive train loss it will not be much quicker in real terms than your car until it gets on the twisties.

mine is currently rated at between 260-270 bhp at 1 bar of boost and is faster than a stock ST205 gen6 GT4.

should you wish me to discuss the modifications, I can do so by PM or Email, you can then compare it to the other car.

remember that UK 185 cars are rated at 205ps and JDM 225ps as JDM cars are mapped for 101ron, so in effect, if you use Millers octane booster and Shell optimax, without the drivetrain loss on your GT, in comparison, it sounds as though you need to spend some money on that four, thats before you assess what it needs to run smooth - every ST185 needs work doing because they run to higher tolerances and their age must be considered, whats the service history like?.

So just make sure the bloke either knows his stuff or is honest - I wouldnt want you to hit any 'unexpected' problems as it gets expensive unless you can use the tools yourself.

dont be put off if you unfamiliar with some of the technical terms ive used, I can expalin stuff in great length if required, ive got nowt else better to do as i'm recovering from a 'modification' to my kidney :lol: and am awaiting fourther keyhole surgery - so i'm bed bound and online often.

regards

Karl

I'd go for it personally, as import st202's dont fetch as much as st185's ;)

dont rush it.

yes, it is worth swapping the cars from a performance point of view, but unless you know the turbo set up then make sure someone who does looks at it, the engineered principals of the 3sgte are far far removed from the 3sge and it can be a mine field of problems unless you get a good one.

you have expected higher running costs and fuel consumption?

higher running costs are mainly applicable if it has been ran for extended periods outside of its range of thermal efficiency, or with poor oil, or with other poor service products, like cheap oil filters without the non return valve or cack coolant.

If the guy is on the net, why dont you get him to come on this forum so he can be asked the relavant questions, is he a GT4OC or Celica Club UK member, as I may well know of the car itself.

I'm always glad to help, and of course, mine is for sale.

are you looking for a long term prospect or are you looking for a introduction into a more powerful car. the GT4 is a great car to learn in, however at 243BHP with the drive train loss it will not be much quicker in real terms than your car until it gets on the twisties.

mine is currently rated at between 260-270 bhp at 1 bar of boost and is faster than a stock ST205 gen6 GT4.

should you wish me to discuss the modifications, I can do so by PM or Email, you can then compare it to the other car.

remember that UK 185 cars are rated at 205ps and JDM 225ps as JDM cars are mapped for 101ron, so in effect, if you use Millers octane booster and shell optimax, without the drivetrain loss on your GT, in comparison, it sounds as though you need to spend some money on that four, thats before you assess what it needs to run smooth - every ST185 needs work doing because they run to higher tolerances and their age must be considered, whats the service history like?.

So just make sure the bloke either knows his stuff or is honest - I wouldnt want you to hit any 'unexpected' problems as it gets expensive unless you can use the tools yourself.

dont be put off if you unfamiliar with some of the technical terms ive used, I can expalin stuff in great length if required, ive got nowt else better to do as i'm recovering from a 'modification' to my kidney :lol: and am awaiting fourther keyhole surgery - so i'm bed bound and online often.

regards

Karl

You could take all that into account, or you could just buy it :D

202's are getting cheap, GT4's are holding their value ..

i have both :D

but if someone asked if i wanted to swap an auto import 202 (whihc u can pick up in japan for £600) for a 185 id go for 185 just make sure u tell ur head to stay out of it and let ur herat do the talking

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links