Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help me out - how many miles will Celicas last?

FSUpaintball

I'm a poor college student, and I need a new car. There's a 1995 Celica GT for sale for $5,900. I can probably get the price lowered a bit. It's got almost 100,000 miles on it.

Here's my question: How far past 100k will the Celica last without a repair job? I need a car good for at least 4 more years. Corollas and Camrys can break the 250k mark as long as you keep their oil changed, etc, but I'm not sure about the Celica. Does it last just as long?

There's no reason why the Celica can't last that long provided its been regularly serviced and well looked after.

:D

hi there all. celica with 100000 on the clock is a mear baby, i Rally a celica (hard) and its got 140000 on the clock:o

• 4 months later...

Maybe I'm unlucky but my '92 Convertible has had to have new main bearings and valve stem seals at 84000 miles. Still at 11 years old nothing has actually broken or fallen off, so thats always good!

It's one of those silly arguments unfortunately as any car given the right care and attention can go on and on.

A 100k Celica is not uncommon and should have no problems as the 3S-GE and 3S-GTE engines are both rock solid, I guess the questions to be asked are more how well has the carbeen looked after, what service intervals has it had and how often has the oil been changed rather than how long will it last...

Look at the old Volvo thats done over 2 Million (yes you read that correctly) on the same enginre as the owner looked after it.

Yes i agree rhaines. At the end of the day if you look after your car it will reward you with a long reliable service. Yes you have got to service it regularly. And perhaps go easy on the right foot. :(

Jerry!!

I have a 1991 (H) Celica GT that has done 165,000 and is still running smooth as ever. Always starts first time even in freezing conditions. Only probs I have had is new clutch (after 110,000 miles), new alternator, new Battery and the usual assortment of tyres and breakes pads/discs. You wouldn't guess this car is twelve years old the way it performs.

Great cars.

Hey thats really great gordypix. After 165,000 miles and still running smooth. You must really look after this car of yours. Say what color is your car?

Have fun driving your car and welcome to the club mate :D

jerry!!

Thanks for your words Jerry. The car is white. A glorious colour for this generation of Celica I firmly believe. I enjoy the drive of the Celica more than anything I have driven in the past and with a good CD playing I will drive in comfort for hours to reach a destination. Only problem at moment is the drivers seat has given up the ghost and broken its chain system so it will not lock in the up right position or allow movement of the seat back. I have been told that short of a super weld job it will not work anymore. BUT I have tried a weld and it will not hold. I need a replacement. Question: Would seats from a 1991 (H) Supra fit in. I think not so does the main dealer I use but this is only guesswork. Any ideas out there??

Hi gordypix is was just thinking. Where do you live. Because if you are near a local carnoisseur shop you can pick up some new recaro seat. Hopefully they will have a seat that you can fit in your car perhaps?

I dont know how much money you want to spend but thats a idea :D

jerry!!

Not an easy question to answer , because if you had two celica's side by side, one had done 100K in the city, the other 100K on motorways , the motorway celica would be a much better option.

How long will it last is a very vague comment. A toyota engine can last very long, for example my camry has done 250,000 miles and still starts first time.

The problem with your question is that you forget to take into account expense. Toyota parts are extremely expensive, and so is any work in general. A head gasket for example costs £500. You need to spend £1000 for the engine to gain another 10-20,000 miles.

I just had to register just to post in this thread. I have a 91 GT-S with 260,000 and running strong, with nothing but regular oil changes as maintinence, no serious work or problems whatsoever.

Dam you have got one hell of a motor there mate :D 260,000 miles and still running thats some record to beat mate :D

jerry!!

Didn't realise they made those, only knew about the GT and ST from donkey's ago....

Oops, I'll get my coat <_< <_< <_<

• 3 weeks later...

I think That a celica is a great choice for a reliable long running car! I put mine through a lot- with a lead foot and all and still the engine made it past the 225,000 mile mark and that is on a 1991 Celica GT, like was said earlier if you want it to last much beyond that even if you are good with changing the oil and regular service you will have to lay off the accelerator. I had to buy a new engine at about 230,000 miles due to bad driving habits.

Hi toyotafanman??? Thats some going there. It seems like these cars just keep going and going. Still after 225,000 miles and you had to buy a engine that good going. I just hope that my yaris will be able to knock up the miles as good as that and still keep running well.

Also welcome to the club mate :D

jerry!!

Hey Jerry - I calculated that at your estimated rate of 5 miles per day it would take you (approx.) 123.2876 years to run up that kinda mileage!]]

LOL

Steve.

Could always buy your own personal rolling road so you could permanently leave you car running and in gear :) nice and easy work for the engine (easier with cruise control) would be amusing to see if you could get a one year old car to 500k miles or more lololol....

My sick mind really does need sorting out !!!

• 2 months later...

Whats up..... I have got a 1990 ST Celica with 200180 miles all thats been done is a new paint job, belts, hoses and a half shaft. These are all minor things. I get compliments on the car everyday. It looks and rides like its new. Take a look and see. 1990 ST Celica :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links