Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Oil

theShire

hi all,

I've got a 97 import Levin and as I have the NCT( irish equiv. of MOT) comming up soon I'm gonna do a quick service on her- oil/plugs/fluids etc.

Just wondering if anyone has advice on what oil grade to use in her. :help:

Since my last car was an Opel Astra which I was well used to servicing and it wasn't a high performance car I was using a High mileage Castrol GTX oil- 15W/40.

Mainly here I was wondering what oil grade to use but any comments on specific brands or anything usefull would be appreciated.

Also anyone know the part numbers for the plugs and oil filter?

As far as i know the plugs already on the car are TRD DENSO IK22 with TRD leads. Oil filter is TRD also but I won't be able to get a hold of TRD specific parts over this way- would take too long so I'm hoping to use a standard replacement Filter and should be able to get the plugs from my local Jap Auto parts place - I doubt very much that the'll be up for sourcing TRD parts for me.

Again- cheers for any help

Just my opinion but any semi synthetic should do the job, I prefer Shell Helix 10w40, does the job pretty well in the 3S-GTE as most others seem to just get swallowed up and it is running smoother though that might be all in my head :wacko: . Does your engine have the VVT? As this may dictate what grade you must use.

Just my opinion but any semi synthetic should do the job, I prefer Shell Helix 10w40, does the job pretty well in the 3S-GTE as most others seem to just get swallowed up and it is running smoother though that might be all in my head  :wacko: .  Does your engine have the VVT?  As this may dictate what grade you must use.

yeah- it's a VVT engine

from what i've been able to find on here most use a similar grade to you or a 5W/30 so that's what i'll be looking for- just not too sure what brand to be looking for- alot say that they don't like Castrol at all so i'll have to take a look at what my local motor factor has...

thanks

Im my AE86 which has the same 4AGE engine:

For Oil I used Motul 300V Chrono 10w-40 from http://www.opieoils.co.uk/lubricants.htm I ordered 2x 2L tins.

Just never ever use mineral oil as it wont rev and will be an ***** pain to start in the cold.

For plugs I order them from http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk They mainly do NGK which I prefer to Denso. They have standard ones and Iridium ones cheap.

You can get a genuine filter from Toyota only about £5 - £6 but from what I have read they filter better, than motor factor ones.

Or get a TRD one from http://www.fensport.co.uk/products.htm at £16.22 plus vat (£19.06)

Will

Yeah a 5w30 or 10w30 should be fine. 10w40 isnt going to do any harm either but prob pay to check with Toyota or one of the oil company help lines. I have had a mate run his Vtec (am I allowed to say that word on here :unsure: ) on 20w50 and ran like a bag of *******. But then again he wasnt the smartest of guys and it was a Honda so its going to run badly isnt it! :P

Well I asked about 10w40 and was told its good. My car does rev quicker and holds a higher oil preasure than before so can't be bad.

Also I change gear just as it goes of the rev counter so no problems running high RPM.

If your constanly running the engine at high revs for a good while like say on a track or a long road, you would prob want a slightly thicker oil so it dosn't thin out to much.

Will

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links