Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Supra Or Skyline

disrupta

Hi, ive got a budget of about £6000 and for that ive worked out i can afford to buy either a skyline gtst turbo or the n/a model supra 3.0.

Im sure with having a turbo the skyline would be quicker is this correct ? i do love the shape of the supra tho, but i think if i got the 3.0 i would always be dreaming of a twin turbo and i dont think i could find one for £6000 which ever car i go for it must be a manual.

Im asking the same question on the skyline board aswell, as to get a fair responce, i suppose what im really asking is, what would in terms of value for money and power be the best buy the n/a supra or the skyline ?

cheers

with only £6k to spend, i wouldnt go for either personally...

You could get a decent MR2 Turbo for that - and have a much better car than any skyline or supra that you could pick up for at that price..

Out of your 2 choices, the Skyline would be the better of them, for your requirements. More power at stock, and since it's turbo, more upgrade options. Tuning an N/A is a !Removed!, there's only so far you can go, and for the most part it's all porting, polishing and upgrading internals, etc. With the Skyline you can play with boost values slightly, etc, before you need to start replacing anything.

Another thought is that you could opt for something else a bit cheaper, perhaps a 300zx Twin turbo, a Mk3 Supra Twin turbo or an MR2 as Fidget suggested , and then use the remaining few grand to tune the crap out of it.

One more thought is that you could also pick up an Evo 5 for the 6 grand mark as well. 2ltr turbo, 276bhp or thereabouts, with 4 wheel drive.

Out of your 2 choices, the Skyline would be the better of them, for your requirements. More power at stock, and since it's turbo, more upgrade options. Tuning an N/A is a !Removed!, there's only so far you can go, and for the most part it's all porting, polishing and upgrading internals, etc. With the Skyline you can play with boost values slightly, etc, before you need to start replacing anything.

Another thought is that you could opt for something else a bit cheaper, perhaps a 300zx Twin turbo, a Mk3 Supra Twin turbo or an MR2 as Fidget suggested , and then use the remaining few grand to tune the crap out of it.

One more thought is that you could also pick up an Evo 5 for the 6 grand mark as well. 2ltr turbo, 276bhp or thereabouts, with 4 wheel drive.

i think keep with toyota mr2 or mk3 supra out of all of them more for your money as i think a decent skyline for only 6k or a newer style supra is gonna b hard to find with only 6k at least 1 that a little boy racer aint screwed that daddy bought for them lol :P but only my opinion im often wrong lol

i think keep with toyota mr2 or mk3 supra out of all of them  more for your money as i think a decent skyline for only 6k or a newer style supra is gonna b hard to find with only 6k at least 1 that a little boy racer aint screwed that daddy bought for them lol  :P  but only my opinion im often wrong lol

They seem to crop up on Autotrader for around that sort of money every now and then. Personally I wouldn't look at a Skyline or an Evo when you can get N/A Supras like this one. What a beautiful car!

Ok, if you want more speed I guess you might prefer something else :D

Paul.

I owned a skyline GTS and I loved it to bits but I would still be tempted to go for a supra.

Take a good look at a skyline in traffic and see how well it blends in. Now look at a supra in traffic and see how many other people are looking at it :)

Then take a good look inside. The supra is well laid out with everything designed around the driver. I think my excort had a better interior that a GTS skyline!

Skyline wins on power though. With just an aftermarket airfilter and exhaust my car sounded amazing and destroyed pretty much anything that wanted to race (usually silly little BMW 318 drivers) It also nearly killed me several times. Had a habbit of whipping out even in a straight line. Never driven a supra so cant vouch for them but look a lot more stable to me.

the choice is yours....

Bit of a daft question to ask on a a "supra" forum... :lol:

You could easily get a mk4 twin turbo for £6k if that is what floats your boat, I'm not sure what Fidgits is on about :ph34r:

If you want speed. Get a bike or a caterham..

if ur willing to pay to insurer a j spec, im sure u would be able to get a mkiv tt for that money.

stumbling block is always going to be insurance mate.

skyline turbo or supra n/a?

good question....only u can answer that one....hee hee

baz

I've always slated the n/a supra as i could never see the point of getting a mk4 without turbos. Just doesnt seem right.

But now i've gone from a uk tt to an import n/a and im very surprised.

The power is constantly there, the powerband it completely different from the turbo and in some ways has advantages over it.

The n/a feels just like a turbo supra with the 2nd turbo shut off. You get identical power just without that final kick. But the way the thing revs up in nuts. Rather than having to wind up the power like the turbo does; you just put your foot down and all hell breaks loose in the n/a as all the power is there instantly.

But now i'll get to the point, the n/a supra 5 speed is about 6secs 0-60....

....the skyline gts-t is also 6 secs 0-60 ;)

To be honest, i truly think my n/a supra manual is faster off the line than my 400bhp supra tt auto. This is going to be mostly down to the tt being over 1400kgs and my n/a (which i have put on a diet ;) ) weighing in at around 1000kgs.

What everyone is forgetting is that the supra has a whole 500cc more than the gts-t. And on top of that it is a LOT lighter. Sure the gts-t has 280bhp vs the 230 from the supra na but the supra has more torque ;)

Im not just saying this because i've owned 2 mk4 supras now but out of the two i would have the supra. ;)

I do like skylines though and may have one after my supra, but only because im starting up an import company and want to test all the cars on the market ;)

Well Leeky, you have sold the idea to me and I wasnt even looking for a supra :D

I think you are wise to go into the trading business :thumbsup:

Hi, ive got a budget of about £6000 and for that ive worked out i can afford to buy either a skyline gtst turbo or the n/a model supra 3.0.

Im sure with having a turbo the skyline would be quicker is this correct ? i do love the shape of the supra tho, but i think if i got the 3.0 i would always be dreaming of a twin turbo and i dont think i could find one for £6000 which ever car i go for it must be a manual.

Im asking the same question on the skyline board aswell, as to get a fair responce, i suppose what im really asking is, what would in terms of value for money and power be the best buy the n/a supra or the skyline ?

cheers

havent yet driven those cars, but looking for supra. actually im looking 4 MKIV to buy from germany to finland.. 3.0 litres with sinlge turbo it has 330hp and its a grandfather model. and have heard from very trusted supra guys that if you add 3" pipes and ECU and little more turbo pressure it should have almost 430hp. and if you have money, you can always get +600hps from it. :P

AND my opinion Supra is way cooleer looking than skyline, wich ist bad choice eighter, but you budget sounds very low, mine is now almost double it (20 000 euros) and im thinking if its enought, i want to get good one, its ***** to go straight and do engine again.

MB

Starting with the obvious, if your "only" interested in performance and tuning, make sure you get a car with a turbo (or two)!

An gts (or r) 32 will always be butt ugly (IMHO) and an N/A will never have the advantages of a turbo car, so you just have to decide where your priorities lay at the end of the day.

There are some stunning Supra N/As around, but if you want more performance you might find a TT for 6k but my suggestion would be to save a little more money and get a really nice Supra TT.

If your stuck on the budget of 6k and performance is the main goal, then get the gts32, but they are that price for a reason... the Supra is _much_ nicer inside and out, and that stays true regardless of if its an N/A or TT...

I would definatly go for the supra over a skyline on your budget, or maybe a rx7  :D

rx7????????????? lovely cars, but at 3k a pop to rebuild i think u'd better stay clear of these.

mate of mine is in the process of a rebuild at the mo, his engine only did 12k since the last rebuild!!!!

im with nell on this one, get a gt4 st205 or maybe a soarer 2.5 manual tt. should get a nice one for alot less than 6k.

baz

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links