Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Tinny Rattle

Cabbage

Bought my Japanese built Yaris SR nearly 3 years ago. Unfortunately I appear to have been sold the only crap Yaris to be manufactured in Japan. Among many faults I have had a new passenger door which didn't close properly, 2 new front shock absorbers (15,000miles), new drivers window runner (3 times), window regulators (twice) new tailgate boot struts (twice) and the passenger seat tray came away and needed replacing. The clutch fork and clutch release bearing needed replacing (18,000 miles), its just coming up to 30,000 miles and I have notice a clicking sound (like 2 marbles being hit together) coming from the front wheels when turning. Apparently this is the drive shaft, which is being replaced today. I should add that I am a careful driver (50 years old) and have never had an accident. I should also mention that the garage I bought this car from in Bristol are the most incompetant in the world as far as repairs and servicing are concerned.

Despite this I still like the car and want to get it right. However there is one fault which has been there for 2 years which has not been diagnosed or rectified by Mr T. Its a sort of tinny, reverberating rattle which is produced when going over slightly uneven or rough road. It appears to be coming from the exhaust area underneath the car. The garage has tightened the loose exhaust undertray bolts but the noise is still there. At one stage they even tried to say the noise was stones trapped in the exhaust/catalytic converter which they could not get at!

Has anybody any idea what this rattle could be. To me it would appear to be the exhaust damper rattling against the car but I have been under the car myself and cannot reproduce this rattle. Any ideas?

Try greasing the tailgate lock mechanism ... mines drove me mad and it took multiple MrT trips to get them to figure it out!

Iv got a rattle which sounds pretty similar to yours... iv greased everything, shaken everything, driven at all speeds on all surfaces and still not found it. Iv decided that it's coming from the front passenger wheel arch... iv also decided that it must be the suspension as the noise is only when going below 30mph on bouncy surfaces... not harsh or anything... small lumps and bumps and dips... speed bumps do it too.

It's a pain in the rear but iv got myself a solution... very loud music.... very loud exhaust manifold and speeds well in excess of 30mph! :lol::thumbsup:

No seriously... i'd love a solution!

It's a pain in the rear but iv got myself a solution... very loud music.... very loud exhaust manifold and speeds well in excess of 30mph!  :lol:  :thumbsup:

Suprised you ever noticed the rattle really if that's the solution :D :D :D

Pretty sure it's not the tailgate lock mecahanism as it is an "outside/underneath the car" noise but will give it a go. Seveer's rattle sounds very similar and yes it's only at low speeds. It's becomes very annoying in the Summer with the windows down. Thanks for the replies.

What condition are the exhaust mount rubbers in? These perish under heat.

Also... Have you had the exhaust replaced? Could be a loose baffle.

This might sound like a weird reply but are you sure the boot is closed properly?

My dad noticed a rattle when I drove him somewhere when I 1st got the car (I never heard it before that because I always had the music on too loud) & then after that whenever I turned the music down I was aware of it. 1 day I slammed the boot shut (so that when I pulled at the handle it didnt move) & the noise was gone.

This probably isnt the problem seems as you had the car for a year before you noticed it but you never know

Oh yeah, and welcome to the club

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links