Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can You Afford Your Car?

m4rk scotland

My car does between 34 & 40mpg, it costs me £250 a year insurance and is fortunately paid for.

The car I can afford. :thumbsup:

It's the bloody Toc meets that are crippling me!!!! :lol:

When I had my two:

Could I afford it... No.

Did I keep it and spend money on it... Yes

Do I regret now being in debt.... Yes

Will Iget another 2 when monies are better... Definately...

It's one of those things, I hung on to mine for as long as I could, monies forced sale, tried to find a cheaper older car, cost money as they kept dying. In the end took a loan out to get a sensible car (mx5 being cheap to run an reliable) and it is costing me a fraction of what the mr2 did...

Still cant wait for another 2 though...

Yes thanks!  :lol:

Love my car, love my beer, love my missus and my kids (not in that exact order obviously), and spend what ever I want on them all. 

I'm not what anyone could call well off, but with carefull thought, ANYONE can afford to run a decent car and have all the nicities that go with it.

:thumbsup: I have just treated myself to a brand new Mr2 in chili red. I own it outright ...no problems in affording to run it...bought extras with it as well and do you know its the best hard earned cash i have spent in a long time....This car makes me soooo happy i love it :P :D I get from little kids askin about it right through the older "gentlemen" type people,,its such a talkin point,,,just love this car,,,specially with nice weather we have had...roof down and all that ..honestly having such a good car makes driving a pleasure B) B) Oh did i tell you i love this car :D :D LOL

Only had mine a few months and already spent £1000 on it (alloys, Speedhut dials and clear side repeaters)

Got 2 months MOT, just got insurance for a full year at £300 increase to last car. Service and tax due within 2 months :(,

Will let you know in November if can still afford broadband to reply yes or no!!!

I can understand what you mean mate, I make sacrifices sometimes. Last month I bought some expensive alloys that I couldn't really afford but it went on the credit card. Over half the money I owe on the card is from car mods. I'm sure when I'm a bit older I'll calm down and spend more on other things but I think I'll always be into cars.

Nope, can't afford to run a Turbo I tried, (affording to run a car means getting all work done on it by professionals, genuine parts etc) wondered why as i don't feel poor, myself and girlfriend have professional jobs etc, but i have lived independantly since i was 18, i go out drinking, have long weekends away with my girlfriend, go on a nice holiday every year etc. It took me a while to work out how so many people could afford to run turbo, then the penny dropped, on here and other forums.... don't flame me for this,... there are far too many 23 - 28 year olds that still live with mum.... and thats just WRONG!

Im sorry i have to disagree - im 22 and still live with my parents - i cannot afford my own house at the moment - the prices are far too high - and even if i didnt have the cars i know i couldnt afford a house! :(

I dont really wanna be there when im 28 , so i will have to get skates on and find a better job! or a really cheap house! :unsure:

I'm 23 and I dont live with my parents... I havent done since I went to university... I rent... sure its effectively money down th e drain.. but I cant afford to buy a house right now... and dont need the hassel/anchor that it can be...

I love my '2 ... granted she aint a turbo.. but mebbe one day she will be... already spent a few pennies on her :P and looking into spending more. I love this car.

Yep.

I spend far too much on my motor, but am supposed to be saving for a house aswell, but as said they are too damned expensive.

I am 23, and live at home, but have spent the last two years larging it living in Magaluff, so thats my excuse for havingnow cash !

But i couldnt bring my self to sell her, too much tiem and effort gone into her, and still bits to fit !

Im sorry i have to disagree - im 22 and still live with my parents - i cannot afford my own house at the moment - the prices are far too high - and even if i didnt have the cars i know i couldnt afford a house!  :(

I dont really wanna be there when im 28 , so i will have to get skates on and find a better job! or a really cheap house!  :unsure:

Or find a bloke who has a shed load of money (and no tubby) :yes::lol:

right the question is can you comfortably afford your car or do you really love it so much that you make big sacrifices?

my mates laugh at me when they see asda smart price beans and other products in my flat but the truth of the matter is i make alot of sacrifices for my car. i refuse to spend more than £20 on a night out (once a week or less) il drink alot before i go out and just have top up drinks.

i havnt bought ANY new cloths this year.

i make up excuses to finish my phone calls

i work over 45 hours a week in a ****y supermarket, soon to change i hope,

what do you sacrifice if anything?

Yeah, affording things, mmm LOL. I've never been able to afford anything, but it didn't stop me learning to fly, going to America on holiday, buying a house, and now an MR2. Don't let money stop you. Have fun, live!

Yeah, affording things, mmm LOL. I've never been able to afford anything, but it didn't stop me learning to fly, going to America on holiday, buying a house, and now an MR2. Don't let money stop you. Have fun, live!

And then watch the bailiffs come over for a garage sale!!

I have only got 2/3 of the money I need to get a good tubby, but if one comes along before I've saved enough up, then I'll be straight onto Cahoot's website. £1,000 loan is £196.83 a month over 6 months, which means I pay back £1019 give or take a penny. Not bad really. I'm saving £300 a month tho.

Im sorry i have to disagree - im 22 and still live with my parents - i cannot afford my own house at the moment - the prices are far too high - and even if i didnt have the cars i know i couldnt afford a house!  :(

I dont really wanna be there when im 28 , so i will have to get skates on and find a better job! or a really cheap house!  :unsure:

i did things the opposite way round. at 18 i was out of my parents house.

now that im 28, i've moved back in with my parents.... although i have my own house. unusually though, the parents have disappeared to the other side of the world (within a week of me moving in) :unsure:

safe to say their house is now pimped out with my 3 cars on their driveway and im living it large at their expense..... sweet :lol:

£360 a year fully comp 7 years no claims, 1998 fiesta deisel for work £ 334 tpft , £ 400 a month mortage , wife and kids,plus 2 dogs .2 lots of roadtax. absolutely skint month to month. :lol:

Thats the way to do it! Wish my parents would move out and leave me the house! lol :P

let me move in for a couple of weeks and im sure your wish will come true too :lol:

I can afford my car more easily now that I am getting older (cheaper insurance) The problem I have is that I like lots of cars. At the moment I have a Paseo, a Honda HRV (to take the dogs out) and an old classic Mini. I need more parking space. On the up side I also have a fully expensed company car. On the down side it's a Renaul Clio 1.2 (Pants)

I carn't afford to run my car! :( Thats why i had to buy a SKODA FELICIA (please dont laugh! :lol: ) for a general run about. Saying that tho, i wouldn't sell the car tho - i love it! :thumbsup:

Cheers :thumbsup:

yea i find running my mr2 pretty hard, but its definitely worth having a decent car when your young. its good to balance spending when your goin out drinkin etc and a car that youve spent money on and have something to show for it, not just a beer belly.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links