Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Questions About A Few Parts

MIP

i was told fuel pressure is regulated by the ecu anyways , and these things are only good for turbo motors - ???????????

the st202 could do with shorter gear ratios imho

No, fuel pressure is all sorted out mechanically by the FPR. The ECU has no control over it, in fact the ECU doesn't even know measure the fuel pressure. So if you have a problem (weak fuel pump, blocked filter etc) the fueling can go lean. The manufacturers usually map slightly on the rich side for safety margin. Fuel quantity is under ECU control and that is a function of pressure and injector time. As fuel pressure is fixed by the regulator to a set pressure relative to manifold pressure, the ECU only adjusts timing.

On a car with a closed loop lambda sensing, increasing the fuel pressure will not make any difference whilst cruising - the ECU will compensate by shortening the injector duty. But when in open loop (hard accleration/full throttle), the extra fuel pressure will cause the mixture to be richer without the ECU realising. But quite what that is supposed to achieve (especially when the mixture is probably already overly rich) is beyond me.

I think the gen 5 has lower gearing than the gen 6? :unsure:

For performance mods, I'll do the suspention, then panel filter, de-cat, chip, exhaust, and possibly leave it at that for this car. Just replace the sparks and oil filter with the better ones as and when they need replacing. One reason is that I don't want to completly cripple it on the fuel economy front, I just want some extra responsivness and low down power, from what lord_ed has PM'd me about, thats exactly what the chip delivers. In combination with slightly improved air intake and exhaust, it should be exactly the little bit extra I want.

I wouldn't mind shorter gear ratio's, could use more of that power at lower speeds, but this was kind of an afterthought. I don't know if you can get hold of the 6 speed SSIII gearbox and put it in this car perhaps, more short gears could be good, but I imagine this would be very expensive?

Actually, one question I had about the air intake on this car, on this pic:

My engine

You can see the main airbox on the right, but what are the other two smaller boxes that come off do, do they have filters in as well? Celicume in another thread said they where for extra low down power in the facelift model. And gold coloured pipe right in the middle. I'm curious as these bits arn't there in earlier models.

For performance mods, I'll do the suspention, then panel filter, de-cat, chip, exhaust, and possibly leave it at that for this car. Just replace the sparks and oil filter with the better ones as and when they need replacing. One reason is that I don't want to completly cripple it on the fuel economy front, I just want some extra responsivness and low down power, from what lord_ed has PM'd me about, thats exactly what the chip delivers. In combination with slightly improved air intake and exhaust, it should be exactly the little bit extra I want.

I wouldn't mind shorter gear ratio's, could use more of that power at lower speeds, but this was kind of an afterthought. I don't know if you can get hold of the 6 speed SSIII gearbox and put it in this car perhaps, more short gears could be good, but I imagine this would be very expensive?

Actually, one question I had about the air intake on this car, on this pic:

My engine

You can see the main airbox on the right, but what are the other two smaller boxes that come off do, do they have filters in as well? Celicume in another thread said they where for extra low down power in the facelift model. And gold coloured pipe right in the middle. I'm curious as these bits arn't there in earlier models.

The gold pipe is exhaust gas recirculation plumbing, and possibly why the later gen 6's are down on power from the early ones? It's purely for emissions purposes. The induction system has resonator boxes which help to keep induction noise down. I think someone on here tried removing them, but found no performance difference.

I didn't know the SS3 had a 6 speed 'box, that'd be a bit tasty. It definitely has an LSD which should make a useful upgrade, especially for a track car.

The gold pipe is exhaust gas recirculation plumbing, and possibly why the later gen 6's are down on power from the early ones? It's purely for emissions purposes. The induction system has resonator boxes which help to keep induction noise down. I think someone on here tried removing them, but found no performance difference.

I didn't know the SS3 had a 6 speed 'box, that'd be a bit tasty. It definitely has an LSD which should make a useful upgrade, especially for a track car.

The one with the red top beams engine has the 6 speed I think (thats not all SSIII's is it? Little confused myself) edit: Actually, I don't know why I thought this, I can't find anything to suggest it, so I'm just talking crapola. edit2 Actually I might not be wrong, 5 speed auto or 6 speed manual. Though this might just be on the altezza black top beams.

If that re-circ thing reduces power, is there any way for me to be rid of it?

Oh and this may seem like a stupid question, but when I do this stuff, I guess toyota won't service it anymore (I was thinking of keeping up the main 'A' services with toyota as it has a full toyota SH, and supplying the parts to my local garage for the 'B' services)? If I de-cat'd the car and whatever else, would it fail emissions tests, like on the MOT?

you have to put the cat back on mot time , or know the tester . ;) ;)

actually, leaglly you dont need to have the cat in for an MOT so long as it passes the emissions test ;) this info was given to me from a VOSA official :)

Well, I know the guy at my local garage, I guess I'll test it without and see if it passes, if not I'll put it back on. Anyone got their celica through the MOT without the cat?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links