Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Damaged Grey Key

FrancoDG

<_<

Hello

I recently bought a Corolla T3, reg. Dec 2003. It was sold to me with a slightly bent grey key. The other two keys work well, but the grey does not enter in the lock (and I did not want to force it).

May I ask what is the function of the grey key? I have read somewhere that it is a slave key, which can be used - in case the others are lost - to be programmed by the immobiliser of the car.

In this case, could another be bought as a blank and the key be cut/copied at a key master?

Thans for your help

Franco

If you're bothered, see if the dealer will replace it for you.

Beware - grey key doesn't access everything - it's a valet or courtesy key; idea being that you can lock the boot and glove compartment when the car is being valet parked or is in garage for a service. So it won't open some things.

With the IS200, the Lexus dealer told me that the grey key was the master. The manual says it isn't.

I've have had those on last 3 Toyotas and on the Lex. Never once used them. When did you last have a car valet parked. And I can't say I leave anything in the car when it's serviced. Didn't get one with my MR2, and don't care.

[EDIT]Perhaps the previous owner tried to open the boot with it - hence damaged key and damaged lock?[/EDIT]

If you're bothered, see if the dealer will replace it for you.

Beware - grey key doesn't access everything - it's a valet or courtesy key;  idea being that you can lock the boot and glove compartment  when the car is being valet parked or is in garage for a service.  So it won't open some things.

With the IS200, the Lexus dealer told me that the grey key was the master.  The manual says it isn't.

I've have had those on last 3 Toyotas and on the Lex.  Never once used them.  When did you last have a car valet parked.  And I can't say I leave anything in the car when it's serviced.  Didn't get one with my MR2, and don't care.

[EDIT]Perhaps the previous owner tried to open the boot with it - hence damaged key and damaged lock?[/EDIT]

Hello

does it mean that, really, is not important to have it straight? And if I loose one of the other keys (the black ones with the transponder) - the other black is sufficient to ducplicate/get another one?

THanks

Franco

PS: I am pretty sure you are right, the lock must have been forced by some idiot using the grey key!

Hello

does it mean that, really, is not important to have it straight?  And if I loose one of the other keys (the black ones with the transponder) - the other black is sufficient to ducplicate/get another one?

THanks

Franco

PS:  I am pretty sure you are right, the lock must have been forced by some idiot using the grey key!

That's certainly been the case on our other Toyotas and the Lex. Just checking the IS200 manual. It says:-

Master Keys (Black) -- [Lots of blub but implies you need the black key to get a replacement]

Sub key (Grey) - The sub key will not open the trunk or glove box.

Grey key is of little use IMHO.

:) Hello

thanks for your advise - it makes sense with other info I found on the web. Now that I know the grey key is not essential... I may try to straighten it myself !

Best wishes

Franco

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links