Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Opinions On This Car Please

Richie (Paseo)

After having my Mr2 turbo for 2 weeks ive decided to sell it, its a fantastic car, but the rwd scares me too much, coming from a 90bhp fwd slow as hell car and going to a 280bhp rwd monster, its a bit too bigger step for me to take just yet, maybe in a year or 2.

So what im trying to decide is, what car to get now, Im 22 with 2 years ncb, I want a turbo'd car either fwd or 4wd running at least 180bhp, but nothing too over the top as im still young and cant afford too much on the insurance.

And ive got around £4000 to spend.

At the mo im really looking into the fiat coupe, has anybody had any experiences with 1 of these? what are they like?

Or maybe a celica gt4 or calibra turbo, any other suggestion would be good, but no impreza's, getting abit too chav'ish.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Cheers Guys n Gals

Rich

Hmmm....I reakon you will REGRET selling it. Just take your time & get used to it, you will do I gaurantee you that. IF you must get a GT-4.....STICK to a 3SGTE :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Hmmm....I reakon you will REGRET selling it. Just take your time & get used to it, you will do I gaurantee you that. IF you must get a GT-4.....STICK to a 3SGTE :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

The GT-4 here only comes with the 3S-GTE :thumbsup:

GT4 would be a good option to be honest.. although im sure the insurance will be just as steep as the MR2.

The Fiat Coupe is very high on insurance.. and the electricals are !Removed! mate.. they aint very reliable however ive been told they are a fun car to drive and they are pretty quick as well.

Have you not thought about going for a N/A MR2.. then moving up to the tubby once your more confident?

I was going to suggest the same thing. Go for a N/A MR2. It'll feel much slower but theres still more than enough power to play with. Then you can step up to the turbo once you're used to it.

Alex

I would say give yourself more time to get use to the car as they do get a lot of getting use to.

The reason i say this is i had to sell my Rev2 tubby to make room and in my gagage and i was only using it once/ twice a month but i had that car tuned to almost its limit with nearly 300 bhp at the wheels but now when i go out in my and i see another tubby my heart sinks and i feel sick, Please dont get me wrong my Surf is a great car and love driving it but every time i see a tubby i feel a little depressed.

So id think about it carefully as after its gone you could regret it.

The GT-4 here only comes with the 3S-GTE  :thumbsup:

I should have typed properly....I MEANT "IF you must, get a GT-4. STICK to a 3SGTE."

:P

Oh and it should really be an ST205 :yes:

I would say give yourself more time to get use to the car as they do get a lot of getting use to.

The reason i say this is i had to sell my Rev2 tubby to make room and in my gagage and i was only using it once/ twice a month but i had that car tuned to almost its limit with nearly 300 bhp at the wheels but now when i go out in my and i see another tubby my heart sinks and i feel sick, Please dont get me wrong my Surf is a great car and love driving it but every time i see a tubby i feel a little depressed.

So id think about it carefully as after its gone you could regret it.

I agree 100% :D

Cheers

KiwiMR2

I had the Fiat. Not good. Nice car to drive, but bits kept falling off. Also thay had to take the whole engine out to change the cam belt. Lots of labour charges. Electrics are crap and the air con broke regularly.

you big jessie!! i came from a 75 bhp clio 1.4 rt!!!

admit the car "concerned me" at first but now im convinced the car is getting slow cos im used to it, only had mine just over a month

If your going to sell it and still want and fairly powerful car that has a turbo and is total different to a MR2 turbo but just as much fun but in a different way why not get a 3.0ltr turbo diesel Hilux Surf.(this is where everyone laughs :lol: )

They are fairly cheap to insure.

Rarely ever go wrong.

Great fun to drive.

They do about 25-30 mpg.

And they are fantastic off road.

But there RWD most of the time

yup.. Even skylines move outta ya way when driving... LMAO.. :lol:

:lol: That was funny :thumbsup: but the look on his face was even better :lol:

I agree with all the advice above, you need to get used to the car in all conditions before deciding.

It does sound like ANY turbo is going to be a bit too manly for you though... ;) ;) ;) :lol:

You’re making the right call to swap cars down a few BHP if you’ve moved to your current car in the way you have.

I see this all the time in the skydiving world where people buy parachutes which fly far too fast and radically for their skills and they end up flying themselves into the ground breaking bones or killing themselves. What they should do is take logical and small steps towards that fast, radical parachute starting with a slower one and build up their skills first. Instead they rush and wind up dead or crippled.

Taking a step back and buying something less powerful is the best way to make sure you don't kill yourself.

I would seriously suggest looking at a N/A Mk2. They run at 175bhp stock and with a little tweaking easily hit well over the 180 mark you mention so there's plenty of room to conservatively mod and increase power as you become more comfortable with it and want to push your skills. An N/A Mk2 would be a perfect stepping stone back the a turbo Mk2 as the handling and drive of the car would be all the same, it would simply be the different power band you’d have to get used to.

I have gone from a 1.3l Yaris (90ish bhp) to a N/A mk2 MR2 and I think its great... I agree I dont think I would have been comfortable looking after a tubby after such a low bhp machine as the Yair (in comparison) so my N/A being a mk2 has 158 bhp standard which I am getting nice and comfy with...

ultimately I want to do a turbo conversion on it.. but it wont be for a few years while I save :) so hopefully by then I'll be more than up for it..

N/A MR2 is a good way forward if you deffo wanna sell and downgrade the bhp :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the advice peeps, Might start looking for an NA, or even a glanza, they seem like rapid little cars.

Rich

i still dont understand this, if you can afford to run the car then why down grade?? i think youl regret it when u have a slower car and need the extra speed or ptsshh!!

i still dont understand this,  if you can afford to run the car then why down grade??  i think youl regret it when u have a slower car and need the extra speed or ptsshh!!

I dont think you read the thread properly bud.. it aint about the monies...

I agree fella.

Thats the best thing to do.

When you start to want more power sell on the N/A and get a tubby. something i'm in the process of doing, just too darn lazy... lol :D

-Z

Yeah I've had an N/A for just over a year and now crave a turbo as I've got so used to the power. Don't get me wrong it's been an enjoyable, fairly quick car and you can still lose it on the bends but I get fed up of having to rev the !Removed! off it all the time. Trouble is I'm finding it hard locating a turbo in the right condition for a price I can afford. The ones I've seen under £4k seem like dogs.

Might start looking for an NA, or even a glanza, they seem like rapid little cars.

Glanza V's are cool....they go well, and look sweet :)

I still reakon 4wd would make the transition to a more powerfull car easier.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Ive just got an N/A and i would recomend one just untill you have cut your teeth a little more. Im only 22 and ive been lucky that ive always had powerfull cars, ( i meen i was driving a Civic R!! it scared me so much i got rid) i learned to drive in the N/A (no power steering lol) so i was a little bit more confident with the power than most people when passing the test. (had 17 driving lessons and past 2nd time in a fiesta ;) )

I havent drive an MR2 turbo so cant comment on the handling or power but if your new to cars with balls then do it slowly, work your way up the BHP ladder, and make sure you know your car before slamming it round the roads!!

The MR2 will catch you out when least exspecting it. Its caught me out a few times.

Anyway chaps getting rid of both my cars at christmas, as im about to put my name down for the new civic 1.8, thats released in january.

bit of a down grade in power as its only about 130BHP, bit more in weight than the current civic aswell but i like the look of it, and will be stunning in full leather ;)

vince

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links