Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 D4d Engine

Webbo

Hi folks,

I'm new to the site, can someone shed light on the following fault, my RAV 4 diesel is great to about 3000rpm after that there's a mysterious intermittent power loss, although the engine does not cut out. I've tried injector cleaner through the system but to no avail. My local Toyota dealer reckon it could be a faulty turbo? any ideas?

Yeah, Toyota dealers seem to reckon a lot of things!

They're a bunch of c**ts! Find someone to get it on OBD and check a few things. Preferebly a Motor vehicle engineer. Not one of these people who has got an NVQ2 and claims to know it all.

Rant over

Have they given you valid reasons as to why it could be the turbo. Hard evidence is a good start.

A friend of mine had similar problems in a different make of car. It turned out, and his dealer showed him, it had a crack in the manifold which was easy to see.

I'd take it some where else to be checked, if it is a turbo problem they should be able to tell you what it is and not just recon it's the turbo!

A friend of mine had similar problems in a different make of car. It turned out, and his dealer showed him, it had a crack in the manifold which was easy to see.

I'd take it some where else to be checked, if it is a turbo problem they should be able to tell you what it is and not just recon it's the turbo!

Had a few turbo failures

Also had a few pump failures due to a faulty SPV solenoid/valve which gradually gets worse performance wise. A new fuel filter helps for so long but doesnt rectify

• 2 months later...

Interesting - we had ours in for exactly this problem today. It only seems to happen as the weather cools down. I'll feedback any findings.

Interesting - we had ours in for exactly this problem today. It only seems to happen as the weather cools down. I'll feedback any findings.

Mine seems to have got a bit better recently, even though I've done nothing to it. I took it to my local toyota dealers to find the problem, no joy there, problem is as its intermittent it can happen at anytime, when you're overtaking cars on the motorway it can cause a bit of 'brown' pants job if it suddenly does it. I've been told it could be a faulty EGR valve?

There is a waste gate between exhaust manifold & the turbo. If this sticks open, you will experience poor turbo response. It is a common fault on the D4-D.

As an aside, I have numerous Toyota manuals at my disposal, ranging from Turbo charging to Electrics.

My son is at college at the moment training to be a Toyota Technician, so he brings home all the literature you will ever need.

May be worth pinning this for future reference.

:thumbsup:

Interesting - I mentioned to the service manager that it sounded like the wastegate may be sticking (I had this issue with a previous vehicle) and he told me that he'd never heard of that issue with a RAV4 before. I'll need to pursue this with him. Thanks for the feedback.

There is a waste gate between exhaust manifold & the turbo.  If this sticks open, you will experience poor turbo response.  It is a common fault on the D4-D.

As an aside, I have numerous Toyota manuals at my disposal, ranging from Turbo charging to Electrics.

My son is at college at the moment training to be a Toyota Technician, so he brings home all the literature you will ever need.

May be worth pinning this for future reference.

:thumbsup:

thanks for the info, the problem with mine is that it only happens between 3000 and 3800rpm, once over that its fine! Could this still be a sticky waste gate? Plus it doesn't happen all the time!!

You sure it's not just Turbo lag??

Are the D4D engines quite high revving then? I've never known a turbo diesel with turbo lag above 3000rpm. Most will be spinning up very nicely by this point.

• 1 month later...

You sure it's not just Turbo lag??

If it was turbo lag, I would expect it to be consistent. What actually happens with ours is that it gets up to the point where you would expect the turbo to "kick in" and nothing happens - revs stay flat or rise very slowly (even with your foot flat to the floor) then suddenly there is a whoosh and the car takes off. The thing is that it is intermittent and on our car, usually only happens through the winter. It is almost as if the wastegate is intermittently sticking open and hence not providing the boost with any gas to do it's stuff.

If it did this from new and whatever the weather, then I might have considered that it is "just the way the car works" but as it doesn't, I can't believe it is. The car is back into the dealership on Monday, so hopefully we'll eventually get to the bottom of this.

I have had to get invloved with the same problem on my wifes RAV4, loosing power just the same as mentioned around 3000 revs.

I found that if I sat on the motorway with my foot flat to the floor just when it happens and leave it there without dropping gears etc etc (the car wont accelerate). Eventually after easing off and letting it happen twice, the engine warning light stays on. I was told that this is the only way they can diagnose problems is when this comes on.

So it came on, my wife took it to the dealer and they changed the air flow meter. Part number T22204-27010 and in total charged us 176.49 last week.

Made no difference at all, have been out again this weekend in it and the same problem keeps happening.

I will be visiting the dealer again hopefully Monday same as Ecosse. Maybe one of us will get to the bottom of this.

I have had to get invloved with the same problem on my wifes RAV4, loosing power just the same as mentioned around 3000 revs.

I found that if I sat on the motorway with my foot flat to the floor just when it happens and leave it there without dropping gears etc etc (the car wont accelerate). Eventually after easing off and letting it happen twice, the engine warning light stays on. I was told that this is the only way they can diagnose problems is when this comes on.

So it came on, my wife took it to the dealer and they changed the air flow meter. Part number T22204-27010 and in total charged us 176.49 last week.

Made no difference at all, have been out again this weekend in it and the same problem keeps happening.

I will be visiting the dealer again hopefully Monday same as Ecosse. Maybe one of us will get to the bottom of this.

ChiefCheese,

This sounds like similaritys to the problem going on in this other forum.... :(

Other Forum

Lose of power..Unable to accelarate etc

ChiefCheese,

This sounds like similaritys to the problem going on in this other forum.... :(

Other Forum

Lose of power..Unable to accelarate etc

Sounds scarily familiar. We've not had ours go into failsafe mode, but it is definitely behaving in a similar way to that described elsewhere in this posting. By the way, ours only seems to misbehave in the winter months, whether the car is hot or cold. Through the spring, summer and autumn, no problem. :blink:

Sounds scarily familiar. We've not had ours go into failsafe mode, but it is definitely behaving in a similar way to that described elsewhere in this posting. By the way, ours only seems to misbehave in the winter months, whether the car is hot or cold. Through the spring, summer and autumn, no problem. :blink:

Looking through all these posts most of them are with the D4D engine...

Wonder if anyother uses on the forum who have this engine, Yaris, Corrola, Avensis have had similar problems....

• 1 month later...

Looking through all these posts most of them are with the D4D engine...

Wonder if anyother uses on the forum who have this engine, Yaris, Corrola, Avensis have had similar problems....

Hi

I'm new to the Forum, do thanks in advance for welcoming me... I'm sure someone's gonna :D

Anyhow, I had the same problem on my VW Bora TDI. The acceleration would cut out when engine had warmed up on high speeds (like motorway). Acceleration would not return to normal unless it was rebooted... I rebooted it a few times by guiding it onto the hard shoulder and stopping. After that, wheneveer it cut out, I would wait for a clear, straight stretch of road, let the car run in 6th gear (yes, they have 6 gears), put my foot down on the clutch, switch the engine off and then on again. That would temporarily cure it, for a bout 5 minutes.

Boy was that frustrating or what! :ffs:

Anyhow, I got rid of the Bora and promised myself never to buy a turbo-charged diesel car again.

I think the Turbo is a bit too much for a diesel.

I've also noticed that the same problems have appeared in some Audis, Peugeots and even Toyotas. I wonder how the new Honda diesels are coping.

Bye for now. B)

Alow me to......

:drunk: Welcome you to TOC XT2 :drunk:

• 10 months later...

Mine seems to have got a bit better recently, even though I've done nothing to it. I took it to my local toyota dealers to find the problem, no joy there, problem is as its intermittent it can happen at anytime, when you're overtaking cars on the motorway it can cause a bit of 'brown' pants job if it suddenly does it. I've been told it could be a faulty EGR valve?

hi new to site hav prob with d4d looseing power did any one ever find out what was causing the fault

hi new to site hav prob with d4d looseing power did any one ever find out what was causing the fault

Can you elaborate some more on what symptons you get....

Loss of power on mine was due to the high pressure fuel pump (Mr T Diagnosed a dirty fuel filter :blink: first)

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Can you elaborate some more on what symptons you get....

Loss of power on mine was due to the high pressure fuel pump (Mr T Diagnosed a dirty fuel filter :blink: first)

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

mine is a 01 avensis hav changed all the filters including the one gauge in the fuel tank, the symptoms are when i accelerate up to the point where the turbo should kick in sometimes it comes in fine, sometimes there is an abnormal delay and other times you can feel the turbo trying to come in but it doesn't it just kinda jerks a small bit like if you were pressing and letting off the accelerator. The engine management light is not staying on so dont know if there is any point plugging it in. The wastegate valve and egr valve appear to be working fine :ffs:

• 11 months later...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Suction caps were the cause of my power loss, according to Motorline in Tunbridge Wells. Seems to be working fine now . . . .

Hi folks,

I'm new to the site, can someone shed light on the following fault, my RAV 4 diesel is great to about 3000rpm after that there's a mysterious intermittent power loss, although the engine does not cut out. I've tried injector cleaner through the system but to no avail. My local Toyota dealer reckon it could be a faulty turbo? any ideas?

OMG i am having this problem too! I have a T180 Rav4, in talks with my local dealer but i have know engine light coming on so they tell me there is little they can do!!

:o

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links