Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing Head Gasket On A Carina E

orangepen

:help: I have a 96 carina e. I noticed a leak of coolant and suspected the water pump. The leak was slight and I kept the level up. Twice the car overheated on the way to work. When I replaced the pump the coolant was being pumped out through the radiator filler cap and breather hose. Smell of coolant in car while driving. Poor heating. Toyota dealer says head gasket gone, poossible cracked cylinder head.

I have replaced head gaskets on other cars and feel confident about working on this one. Does anyone have any advice on what to expect? Possible price of head gasket kit? I see from the Haynes manual that the camshafts will have to be removed to remove the head. Lindop Bros in Queensferry have quoted £750 which I think is ridiculous. £400 max given that its a lovely car and worth hanging on to.

Suggestions most welcome

Is the car misfiring at all??

Any white smoke during driving from the exhaust???

Any mayonayese type goo inside the oil cap???

if all the answer ar eno I don;t think you have a headgasket problem... try replacing the thermostat and the rad cap.

Did youto tell you you have a headgasket problem without looking at the car? :eek:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links