Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Could Upgrade To A More Powerful Car...

riko666

What do I do, go through the hassle of selling the Paseo and getting the Cynos or not bother?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What do I do, go through the hassle of selling the Paseo and getting the Cynos or not bother?

• Go crazy, go through the hassle of selling the Paseo and get the Cynos!!!
    • Don't bother, just keep the Paseo and save the money...

....hah, its still a paseo im talking about naturally! Well to be exact, its a Cynos Beta. Now i'm really tempted to get this car because a) its a 1998, hence newer than my car, B) its got a lower milage than my car, c) its got 115bhp, it has various options (lsd, cynos aero package...)!

now, the one thing that bugs me is that i'll have to sell my car, and i have done a bit to it...I mean not many things but still, it's cost me a lot getting a new panel filter, wires, plugs, new oil, oil filter, rad cap, gen 1 interior bits, tax disc, bulbs and repeaters, and ill just feel that that work will be thrown away...I could ofcourse just suck it up and buy the stuff for the cynos, but im poor...and there's things like the Hotshot header that i bought, that would not work on the cynos and for the turmoil and money that i had to sacrifice to get it, it'd seriously make me angry...

but yeah, i need help on deciding...and the seller's really nice, if not really knowledgable about the car...

the seller's really nice, if not really knowledgable about the car...

id sell the car and get the newer one, go on the fact that he doesnt know much about it to get a good deal.

at the end of the day, each car u have you will do bits to but u have to move on...

slightly off topic but ive just looked up pics of the cynos and they returned the same as the paseo, whats the diff?

Jay

i think its basically the same car jay with a few more options than a standard Paseo - plus itll have the 5efhe engine with slightly more power

J

I voted yes, but I'm actually not so sure.

For the cost of ownership - ie running costs including insurance, then for 10bhp extra then is it worth it?

For the Sera conversion to turbo, I felt it was worth it, but then it was a 25bhp increase.

well i mean, under insurance it'd still fall under 1.5 Paseo wouldn't it...anyway, ive made the decision and i will buy it, im just hoping i can buy it...

No because its not a Toyota Paseo. Its a Toyota Cynos and therefore subject to an import surcharge which could be anything they want it to be, maybe 10% more, maybe 100% more. Get quote before you commit to buy

hmm, damn...so what, do I just go to my current insurers, and just send an email asking if i can insure the cynos as a paseo or what?

insurin it as a different car is not a good idea - when u go into the back of 1 20g bmw and ur insurance refuse to pay up - u will regret it - u may as well not bother getting insurance if ur gonna do that at least u'l ave that extra money to pay when you do crash.

resale prices on paseos are very low at the monet so unless ur getting the cynos for a bargain price dont bother - u shouldnt expect to get more than 1200 - 1400 for your paseo - ur list of mods isnt that big so u shouldnt let that put u off - a tax holder isnt really a mod dude.

mods don't add value to a car, they detract from it, and ive only put 5000mi on the car since ive had it...5000mi since june 2004...but as of now, there are paseo ST's going for £2900, with 15,000mi on the clock more than my car...and my main priorities with the " mods " i carried out were servicing items, so new bulbs, new oil, new oil filter, new air filter, new spark plugs, new spark plug wires...i dont care for " mods " right now, havn't got the money...

and im getting a cynos because its the car i originally wanted, not interested in getting " more powerful " cars for the sake of more power, you're not gonna use the speed on public schools. i just want the cynos cause its black, its newer, its lower mileage and its more powerful (im taking it to track days)...which is the paseo i wanted in the first place...so its like swapping my paseo for a better paseo B)

nope :P

for the price, its a great offer, it even appears to be a v-package edition, and it has the lsd gearbox with hydraulic clutch, the ultra rare cynos " aero package " among other things...i just want it, and for the premium over what i bought my car for, its a bargain...i just hope the insurance doesn't rape me...shouldnt do cause i renewed the current one when i was 18, im now 19...well, here's naively hoping...

Don't even think about doing something as completely stupid as that.

1. bloke buys car

2. to save insurance bloke insures car for a lesser version than it really is

3. bloke has accident, two cars damaged, plus driver of other car is hurt (or worse)

4. bloke claims on insurance

5. car gets inspected

6. inspector notices car is different to whats on the computer

7. insurance is denied

8. you get dragged through the courts, sued by the insurance company for fraud, other party sues you for damage to car, plus medical costs plus compensation. Police prosecute you for driving without insurance.

9. you end up in massive debt andin prison trying not to bend over in the showers.

Life is ruined just by trying to try and save a few quid...

Plus you've mentioned it on a public forum. You do not know what the other readers of this site do for a living. I know that insurance companies have researchers who have to check facts on unusual cars.

hmm, damn...so what, do I just go to my current insurers, and just send an email asking if i can insure the cynos as a paseo or what?

i know its probably illegal, but a lot of starlet gt people insure their cars as normal starlets...

damn, yeah forgot about that...errr...can you edit your post so it doesnt show that quote andrew? ill remove my mention too cause i rememberd about that talk...

but yeah anyway, wasn't implying that i would do that...im not (completely) stupid. hmm. i hope the quote won't be more expensive than what i paid for the paseo for when i was 18...

Before I bought my paseo, I thought it was an import so I got an insurance quote and it was around the £1600 mark, Then I found out that it was a uk car I got another insurance quote and it dropped down to £800, So that was a rather large jump!

But saying that, that was 18 months ago, and when I had that import mr2 turbo (highly modded to 279BHP) last month, I phoned up for a insurance quote, again with the same company, ALL mods declared, fully comp, it was only £912 for the year!!!!

So would have been much cheaper to insure a powerful import MR2 than a cynos..... Insurance companies dont make sense to me :blink:

But I agree, get an insurance quote from many different companies ASAP before you commit to anything. Theres nothing worse than having a car you love and not being able to insure it, then having to sell it, believe me!!!!

Rich :thumbsup:

At the end of the day Riko - its your choice matey. :yes:

all we can do is offer advice & support..

as for the insurance - i got quotes for a Nissan Pulsar GTIR 2l Turbo that was cheaper than the Cynos :unsure:

mines actually insured under a Paseo because 5 years ago Tesco's didn't have a clue. but its actually insured under the vin/chassis number & i've had no problems with the Police etc.

BTW Riko - just seen the car in question... looks very clean mate :thumbsup: bit pricey but still not a bad deal IMO.

J

anyway, to add to the cynos, just wanted to know of surefire ways of recognising it as a cynos, namely that it has the 5efhe engine?? I mean straight away i can recognise the a.c.i.s intake, and the cynos lip kit (though it could be put on a paseo anyway), but what other ways are there? noticed it had the different style " metric " gauge cluster (grey instead of white)....

besides the aics, the only difference is compression, which you wouldn't be able to tell from looking at it.

well here is one for you mate, me on my girlfriends atandard starlet s 200 quid fully comp, me on my older glanza v Before mods declaired just because its an import and had that little hair dryer thingy 1200 quid fully comp

imports cost alot and if under 25 can be an ***** finding someone to insure it

on a lighter note me on my paseo fully comp 380 quid

jim

jeeeeeeeeeeeeesus, just got my quote from admiral...i selected the car as a Paseo Si, then selected it as an " import " in the options, so im assuming that thats the correct selection to be made (if its still wrong guys lemme know as i dont want to put a foot down wrong...) and its, as they say, 2 steps forwards and 3 steps back!

£2463.30

thats how much i first paid for insurance on the Paseo when I was 17...under my mother's name!! well, considering, its not too bad! Anyway, now, how do i go about ending the policy with the paseo and then getting it on the cynos? Do i just have to cancel it (and risk a cancellation fee) on the paseo and then just buy a completely new policy on the cynos? I need to know soon guys...thanks...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links