Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Why Is It?

Ryan1985

Why is it that speed cameras can't 'do' you when you speed through them when they are facing you?

Someone told me ages ago but I can't remember!

Any help appreciated! :thumbsup:

you mean a Truvelo camera (looks at you with the red lens)

if so its rubish and yes they can do you

errr they can... some work both ways, some dont

Nah Rob I mean a Gatso. I'm sure they can't 'do' you when you drive through them when they are facing you? :unsure:

Ones on the A9 don't seem to - or so I'm told... :unsure:

A

well look at it this way

its a simple speed recognition sensor and then two photos taken at precise time intervals which are then compared using the good old formula of speed=distance/time

so as far as im concerned it doesnt matter which way its pointing

If it's a turning one (I.e. the plod can turn it to face either way down an A road for example), then if you're on the other side of the road, and there are no wahite markers, then in theory it shouldn't.

However, if it's on your side of the road, facing you, and the markers are on your side of the road, then yes, it will "do you."

However, if you ride one of those fantastic pieces of engineering called a motorcycle, then it only registers a picture, and of course, no front numberplate....

Guest rev3turbo

i think you mean the gatso,

basically i think it goes it's illegal to flash oncoming traffic as it may dazzle the driver and could cause an accident. So gatso only gets you when you're driving away from it and it's behind you.

is that what you meant Ryan?

Thats all good and well Rob and I did take physics! :P

But I think its something more to do with it not allowed to take a photo of your face or something ridiculous! :yes:

Anyone else got any ideas? :unsure:

That is correct Mo! :D

Still flashed errrrrrr the guy in front of me though!!! :rolleyes:

Front facing ones shouldn't flash - thats where the new digital ones with no flash and a red lense come in nowadays...

Yeah Gnome, Truvelos I think they are called. :thumbsup:

So anyone with a definitive answer? :ph34r:

wait to see if the repro in a brown envelope drops on the door mat :unsure:

ill settle this, ive been past a few gatsos head on doing an illegal speed and had no letters

and ive been thru a forward facing camera with red lens and they do flash just flash red and nope i didnt get done and im not disclosing why on a public forum any more details ask me via gold

A lot of people complained because the photo was coming through their door.. and the drivers spouse spotted his/her partners lover in the car.. so it was ruled that photo's were to be taken of the back of the car (maybe rule has changed now). If there was disagreements over who the driver was... the registered keeper get's done.

I thought the early cameras took pics of the rear of the car because of the reasons mentioned above about flashes, and also because some vehicles don't have plates on the front - e.g. bikes.

More recent cameras take the pic from the front because too many people were claiming it wasn't them driving.

Moral, don't speed, but if you must get a GPS camera detector and keep your shades on when driving.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links