Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Steering Wheel Vibrating ?

Toyota3000

I've just noticed that the steering wheel starts to vibrate when I'm doing about 20 or 30 mph.

I've checked the tyres - they seem to be fine.

It's only when I go past 40mph that the vibration stops.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance :)

Have you checked the wheel balance on all your wheels? Also is it more pronounced under braking?

No, the braking seems to be fine - not affecting the vibration.

I think it could be the wheel balance...

Can someone explain why the vibrating stops at a higher speed ?

bit like suspension briges Swaying... needs a certain wind speed to create a particular swaying frequency.

Was that famous bridge that collapsed in a steady wind of only around 45mph or something..yet it was tested to survive 150MPH + ( or whatever the figures were)

or ya washing machine...it shakes about as it starts to pick up speed..but when at full wack..vibrations go away....

or ya.. I'll stop now... :-)

Could be a wheel bearing too..but this would normally be noisy as well....an detectable over a broader range of speeds.

Vipes

What gear are you in? If you're in a higher gear (4th & 5th) between 20-30mph, then accelerating that can cause vibrations as you're straining your engine and it's vibrating at you in anger!

Erm, most likely wheel balance... but that's usually more noticable at speeds around 50mph.

You might have a loose heat shield or something similar under the hood or near to the steering column... just give everything a wiggle.

bit like suspension briges Swaying... needs a certain wind speed to create a particular swaying frequency.

Was that famous bridge that collapsed in a steady wind of only around 45mph or something..yet it was tested to survive 150MPH +  ( or whatever the figures were)

or ya washing machine...it shakes about as it starts to pick up speed..but when at full wack..vibrations go away....

or ya.. I'll stop now... :-)

Could be a wheel bearing too..but this would normally be noisy as well....an detectable over a broader range of speeds.

Vipes

Tacoma Narrows bridge, wasn't it?

clicky - short clip

longer clip - this time it goes!

The vibrations that cause this are called "natural frequency".

Oh yeah, back on topic. I also think it sounds like wheels need balancing.

My steering vibrates like mad at 70mph on the standard 15s, always has done from new, stopped it when i put the 16s on.. now ive got the 15s back on for winter i figured its the balancing on the wheels

I've just noticed that the steering wheel starts to vibrate when I'm doing about 20 or 30 mph.

I've checked the tyres - they seem to be fine.

!st of all I can't see it being wheel balance.. its at speeds between 50 - 70 mph that wheel balance will normally cause a problem.

Even though the tyres appear to be fine, there could well be a slight distortion on one of them that you can't see... take the car to a tyre dealer and get them to put the wheels on a wheel balancer and tell them about the low speed vibration, It could also be that there is slight damage to one of the rims ( a small ding from a pothole) and that could be causing it.

Another way to see if its a wheel or tyre problem is to take one of the wheels off and put the spare on.. if it goes away, the wheel you took off is causing it, if it doesn't go away, take another wheel off etc. (putting the spare in its place obviously.. well, there are some silly people about who might not know you need to do this :lol:). It would be far easier just to take it to your local tyre dealer though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Pressed wrong button then!!... Anyway my cars steering wheel vibarates when the car is stopped and I rev the engine, this leads me to think that it can't be connected to wheels or suspension. Something must be loose, had a quick check but everything seems tight.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links