Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ae86

CanadianDunc

Hi guys,

I've just registered on the forum and am already looking for help. I understand from some mates on another part of the TOC that you guys are great at helping people out with info!!

Im wanting to do some research on the AE86. I love the look of the car and am interested in buying one soon but I want to at least have an idea what im looking at/talking about! I have had a look on Google and it has drawn a blank so am hoping you guys will be able to point me in the right direction!

To be honest, I know nothing about them apart from the look so I'm starting from scratch!

Thanks in advance.

Well where to begin! Theres hundreds of things, best thing is if you ask the questions you want to know i'll answer them, otherwise im gonna be here all night writing an essay on them! lol :D

:D ok then!

Well, first off I'm not sure what engine sizes (although from what I've found it seems like 1600cc) is this right?

I also seems that there are hatchback and coupe versions

Im also looking to get an idea of pricing for a decent example.

Where is the best place to be looking for one and what should i be looking out for.

Well theres a start! Any help is greatly taken!

***** you werent joking when you said you no nothing! haha :D

Right, they are all 1600cc twincam 16v EFI '4AGE' engines, same as fitted to the FWD Corolla GTI's, and MK1 MR2.

You can get imports which have single cam engines with a carb instead of EFI, but they are pretty !Removed! rare and crap to be honest!

The UK spec AE86's are called Corolla GT Coupe, and only ever availible as a coupe(hatchback) in this country.

Imports of the same shape as our UK spec Corollas are called Levin's, which were availible as a 3dr coupe, or a 2 door liftback!

Then you have the other import called a Trueno, which is the pop-up headlighted model which was also availible as a 3 or 2 door!

Money wise you wont buy one for under £3k now, and that could be a rotton heap of crap to be honest with ya!

A real good example could cost you from £5k upwards, in Ireland, which is where most of the AE86's are ive seen them at £15k+

Look on eBay and findit.co.uk theres always a handfull there, most being imports now though, as the UK spec one are getting rare!

Seriously dude, there is so much to tell you about them, its taken me about 3 years learning all about them and i still dont know absolutely everything!

haha, told you i didnt know anything!

Thats definatly a start mate! Thanks a lot. Can I ask what model your 'Black Betty' is as thats the look that im going for.

£5k! That's a little more that I thought I'd be paying for a car made back in the 80's but it looks like it would be worth it and there arent many around my way!

Cheers for the help so far, and there will likely be more to follow! :D

AE86 Levin for sale!

Here is one on eBay, its an import Levin and its just shy of £5k, being an import it usually helps due to they usually have alot less rust than our UK spec corolla's, but not always the case, dont forget the eldest AE86 was made in 1983, and the youngest was 1987! So they are all literately 20 year old!

My AE86 is a UK spec Corolla, but ive spent about £10k building her to the spec she is now, and its used for trackdays, hillclimbs and sprints, nothing on the car is standard!

Ive got a few import parts on it, such as the rear lights, which are called Redlines, which are the most sought after and best looking light made, they cost me shy of £300 and got them imported from Japan!

Click Me!

Here is a link to pictures of my car before and after i modified it, with a quick spec list to!

I must warn you, that i love the AE86 and i wouldnt sell mine for the world, but in standard form they are pants, they handle awful!! They arent to bad in performance, and the brakes arent bad so long as the calipers arent seized (which is a common problem and expensive to repair) but the handling is scary! Any car could pretty much out handle a std AE86, thats why ive spent about £2.5k on suspension alone! :ph34r:

Very nice mate!!

Suspension is the first mod I would do anyway! Spotted one on findit.com too for £4000!

I definatly think this is the way to go for me! It has all I'm looking for, not a huge engine, coupe looks and RWD!

Time to keep my eyes open and speak to the bank manager I think!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links