Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

One Week Later

sprite

Well I've been with my Yaris a week now and just wanted to sort of talk about things I've noticed :D

First off - it really goes! When I'm in say second gear, and if I'm accelerating a bit more enthusiastically, around 20mph she'll suddenly go VROOOM and zip forward a bit more, can really feel it and it's great :D Must be that VVT-i ;)

Very comfortable :) Easy to drive etc which you already know...

Two things though..

Changing down - doesn't seem to like going in a gear she doesn't want to. Say approaching a roundabout, I'll need to be below 15mph before changing to second. So this'll get me back into good habits, my AX was a lot more forgiving..

I also hear a little 'pop' sometimes when I brake, sounds like it's on the right at the rear. Nothing too noticeable really, doesn't sound bad as such, but is it something I should get looked at?

And she's now showing off her Toyota Owners Club stickers :D

Mine (P1 1.0ltr GS) is a little tempremental changing down to 2nd gear too. Way back when we purchased it (2000), all the reviews mentioned a couple of gear quirks which included the reluctance to drop into 2nd sometimes and also reverse.

Apart from that, glad you like the Yaris!!

Ah ha! I think it just doesn't like going into a gear if it's not at the right speed. My old car was fine, I could change down into 2nd on approach to a roundabout, whereas with the Yaris I need to do it at the right speed :)

Oh! I just thought of another question.

Since I've not had a digital display before, I'm not used to it obviously...

With regard to the fuel gauge, when do I need to worry? When I have one bar left, or when it's empty? So basically I'm asking if I can let all the bars go or should I fill up with one remaining?

Trying to get the most out of it :)

It's not too good for the engine to let it get too low, but don't panic if it starts flashing.....you won't blow up or stop straight away :D

I've done 25 miles on a flashing rating before (only coz I was too tight to pay what my local garage was charging for fuel at the time....!!).

Ok cheers guys :)

Getting a bit concerned, here's me thinking that the Yaris is all super dooper with the economy and my gauge is going down quite quickly.

(Only figured out how to change the trip computer a couple of days ago :P)

Of course, the total mileage now reads almost 300 more than the day I bought it ;) :D

Getting a bit concerned, here's me thinking that the Yaris is all super dooper with the economy and my gauge is going down quite quickly.

It goes slow at first then about half way it goes quite quickly!

Yeah, the sudden increase in acceleration is the VVT-i kicking in, very useful thing that.

When it starts flashing fill up, dont go too far out of your way at 1st though, I did 30 miles (looking for a petrol station that wasn't getting refilled during peak hour on a weekday, I was 40 mins late for work because of that) without running out.

changing into 2nd seems ok in mine - its getting it into 1st thats a bugger especially in slow moving traffic

but you have to love the vvt-i - youll find that as soon as you hit 3k rpm the power just pours on which is nice feeling when you have to pull out into fast moving roads and you can get moving quickly

but you have to love the vvt-i - youll find that as soon as you hit 3k rpm the power just pours on which is nice feeling when you have to pull out into fast moving roads and you can get moving quickly

Have to agree ..... 1-3k rpm is horible but after 3k the engine feels like it has more grunt - it's great getting on the motorway and this is where you notice the performance of the VVT-i engine against other cars. On a slip road most other 1L/1.2L slow down where as your speeding up!

The yaris may be slow to start off, but it soon catches up and performs better :thumbsup: !

I find it a problem on both our Yarii....although tonight I made the mistake of dropping down to 2nd at above 20 mph on the approach to a roundabout and it was like it forced itself to go into 2nd, car seems to find it easier to go into 2nd at around 15 mph.

Ok cheers guys :)

(Only figured out how to change the trip computer a couple of days ago :P)

Of course, the total mileage now reads almost 300 more than the day I bought it ;) :D

Well if you have done almost 300 miles then it will go down :P I've done 290 miles since last filling up and the fuel gauge says 3 bars left..I know that I can get up to 350 miles (which my Dad encouraged me to find out how far I could push it and having a petrol station at the top of the road is handy if I am low although it is much more expensive so I dont use it).

It goes slow at first then about half way it goes quite quickly!

Yep another "quirk" of the Yaris I think!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links