Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Website - Heater Problem Solving

tim_k

I have recently fixed my Supra heating system :D

Firstly, I repaired the blower resistor low speed setting.

Secondly, I reflowed the heater control panel solder joints.

These steps cured both the low fan speed setting and the intermittent heating problem. After reading all the forums, it seems that many people have these problems with their Supra MkIII. Therefore I've written a website that describes all the steps to fix both these problems and additionally fix a faulty actuator, and also how to replace the heater control panel lights. The website is (hopefully) easy to follow as it has lots of photos.

Supra MkIII - Heater Problem Solving

Let me know what you think, and feel free to link to this site, advise others to use it (at your discretion) and also use or copy the images or information (the more MkIII supra owners that see this the better!)

Cheers,

Tim

Excellent stuff, my man. I'm gonna whip my resistor pack out tomorrow and try and fix my 1st position setting using that guide. Cheers.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Just to let everyone know that my free internet company is winding up, so the above website will be very shortly MOVING TO:

Supra MkIII - Heater Problem Solving

In fact it's already there if you want to update your links...

Having driven around in my cold (then warm, then cold) Supra for the last few weeks, I tried your instructions on resoldering the control panel.

Now it's hot, hot, hot. Thanks a lot for the write up!

Nic

p.s. problem was a combination of BOTH VSV valve and heater control solder joints.

What I need is a cure for the feedback chattering from the climate control.. Its !Removed! annoying! Anyone else get that?

• 2 months later...

great guide, thanks tim :cheers:

the coils are just high wattage resistors right? so would it be possible to replace them with more up-to-date ceramic encased or wire wrapped resistors? or even replace the speed control switch with a high wattage variable resistor?

• 4 weeks later...

Will be tryin this at the weekend as my heating is doing the whole on off on thing atm and its rather cold lol :D

• 4 weeks later...

Regarding the heater problem. I posted this up about 18 months ago. I cured it by re-soldering all the dry joint connectors on the back of the heater select panel. As the heater is used often, the joints become dry and fracture. These fractures cannot be seen with the naked eye. However under a microscope ( No I am not kidding) the fractures turn the solder conductor into a hyperfine structure which acts more like a semi-conductor (resistor of low value) and chokes off the current.

Tar-rah

Michael

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links