Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Problem...

ferrariboyuk

Hi all.

Not managed to get on here much recently. Since the snow i've discovered a potenial problem with my yaris.

I braked intentionaly hard on snow in a car park to get a feel for grip and once the wheels lost grip there was a really loud clanging/scrapping noise from the wheels. And intense juddering through the brake pedal. Braking works fine otherwise. Just when i exceed grip.

Is there a fault with my abs? The other yaris works fine.

DOM

juddering sounds like the abs (felt it a few times doing my emergency stops when i was taking my lessons)

the sound sounds odd though might just be a bit of rust forming in the moist weather, probably just the brakes locking

juddering sounds like the abs (felt it a few times doing my emergency stops when i was taking my lessons)

the sound sounds odd though might just be a bit of rust forming in the moist weather, probably just the brakes locking

the juddering is more like a heavy weight boxer punching the other end of the brake pedal. Its not faint, its flippin' bad.

And the noise is still there at the end of a 20 mile journey and only when a lock the wheels. :(

I had a similar problem in Liverpool, I almost missed a right turn because of the angle of the road, the whole car was juddering and shaking.

Hi all.

Not managed to get on here much recently.  Since the snow i've discovered a potenial problem with my yaris. 

I braked intentionaly hard on snow in a car park to get a feel for grip and once the wheels lost grip there was a really loud clanging/scrapping noise from the wheels.  And intense juddering through the brake pedal.  Braking works fine otherwise. Just when i exceed grip. 

Is there a fault with my abs?  The other yaris works fine.

DOM

Yeah that will be the abs working ..... scared me the first few times when I braked hard, but now it kicks in sometimes when i try to leave my snow covered road!

yep deffo the ABS. i thought there was somethin wrong with it when i first brakes hard. i hate it when it comes on. try to avoid it lol

If thats normal than its mad. And i thought abs stops skidding? My car still skids......

Never felt the HUGE vibrations through the pedal in the other yaris. :wacko:

deffo the ABS and the biggest load of crap ever

it basically stops the wheels locking up as per its name :rolleyes: yet with no grip at all, means total lock, which means no brakes, which means you dont stop regardless <_<

at least with normal brakes the wheels stop turning and plough through the snow and hopefully down to the tarmac

it basically stops the wheels locking up as per its name :rolleyes: yet with no grip at all, means total lock, which means no brakes, which means you dont stop regardless <_<

at least with normal brakes the wheels stop turning and plough through the snow and hopefully down to the tarmac

this is true cars with abs takes longer to stop in the snow, that is why audi has switchable abs on some of their cars, you need winter tyres to take full advantage abs, as nomal tyres become very hard in the cold.

I'll never forget the feeling of utter dread skidding down an icy slip road in Karis, hitting the brakes and thinking "Oh s**t, I've broken my brakes" :unsure:

Rich laughed at me when I told him that I'd broken them, he said it was just the ABS kicking in....

I was like "And thats meant to help?" It felt like the judderman had taken over my car! :lol:

Bear in mind that with ABS you are still able to steer away/around from whatever you are braking from and still keep control of your vehicle. I thought that was the point of ABS?

If you brake and lock up without ABS then you are in the hands of the Gods as to where you stop or what you hit.

ABS was designed for people who just panick in an emergency and jump on the anchors locking up the front end, in which, yes you have no control

all the ABS does is allow the wheels to spin under braking so you can 'manouver' the vehicle

but most muppets still jump on the pedal, scream 'OH S**T' and continue to crash into the same object/ditch but just alot faster as the car isnt slowing down as quick, without even attempting to 'steer round' or out of danger

and no disresepct to anybody but from most of the replys ive read so far, most people have answered the fact of when the ABS kicks in.... 'my cars broke'.... so to start with no one knows how to use it :rolleyes:

and if your concentrating and have your wits about you, you will be able to utilise a normal braking system to its full efficient potential without locking the wheels

hmm, I've only felt it a kick in a couple of times when stopping on wet gravel or leaves and its a bit disconcerting at first but you do get used to it and it definitely stopped the car pretty well. On the Carina it felt like the brakes where grating on something the first time and there was a slight judder under foot. On the whole you have to be in pretty bad conditions before they come into action and general braking is good. I didn't know that ABS brakes were slower in the snow though.

in all fair honesty, it can be the most advanced braking system in the world but it WILL NOT stop you on snow and ice!

its a fact of physics!

your best bet is an anchor you can chuck in the hedge bottom when you need to stop

But like most things Rob - you dont get taught them, you learn as you go along.... people who had cars without ABS previously wont know what ABS does or how it works - but in all honesty until you experience it, you wont know! In that respect I think your comment....

and no disresepct to anybody but from most of the replys ive read so far, most people have answered the fact of when the ABS kicks in.... 'my cars broke'.... so to start with no one knows how to use it

is a little harsh!

You learn from experience, not by being told something! ;)

But yeah, I admit, I thought I'd broken my car - until Rich explained that it was ABS - and to be perfectly honest, had Rich not been there to ask, I'd be posting exactly the same as ferrariboyuk! :lol:

wasnt intended to be harsh or directly pointing the finger at anyone Em :)

just dropping my 2p that people dont enquire on these things

personally if i was told my car had XXX fancy braking system, id be fully inclined to get a full detailed run down on how this system works or is to perform

now i am a fan of fancy gizmos... but when it comes to the bit of the car that makes you stop then id rather have a simply yet effective unhindered or compromised system that i have full control of :)

grief.... just a small sub section of people..and most don't know how ABS works and what it actually does..but I'm sure we read about how the all important radio works though..... it is all mentioned in the handbook...but most people seem to skip the safety information.

ABS Q&A

Had to emergency brake recently and got the pumping effect happen, didnt bother me at all tho as i knew it was the ABS. It was quite a harsh judder aswell. Didn't get any scraping noises as far as i can remember tho. I'd be more worried if there were noises coming from the brakes when normal braking.

people who had cars without ABS previously wont know what ABS does or how it works

I beg to differ, I don't have ABS but I know what it does and how it works! ;)

people who had cars without ABS previously wont know what ABS does or how it works

I beg to differ, I don't have ABS but I know what it does and how it works! ;)

I was talking about me when I said "people" :lol:

If some drivers are unaware of the use and reason for ABS, then don’t forget the Yaris also has EBD

(Electronic Brakeforce Distribution, for people that don’t know!)

Yaris only has EBD on the rear though, really used in cornering when the rear is unloaded.

EBD on all 4 wheels side to side front and rear..and your looking at active Yaw control which is an enhancement where an individual wheel is individually breaked if your sliding etc and helps to keep the car pointing in the right direction without you doing much at all.

ABS is terrible in the snow though as it actually increases stopping distances by a large amount..though granted still maintains steering. some cars now you can actually deactivate ABS for driving in snowy conditions.

Vipes

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links