Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Battery Question

gordypix

My Mum has a T Reg 1.0 Yaris and yesterday it took more than a simple few seconds of a key-turn to fire it up.

Could this be the Battery on it's way out. It is the Original Battery which is now nigh on 7 years I guess.

What options for new batteries are there if that is whats needed?

Toyota is the easiest for us but what others are there?

If the Battery has never been allowed to go flat shouldn't be a Battery problem,

I belive batteries have a 10 year lifetime guarantee as well...but it's been a while since I last looked to be honest.

It has been a little cold recently though...a couple of turns is nothing to be worried about...especially if it's a good solid turn over..and not a low whining I don't really want to start sound.

to aid starting..always ensure:

clutch is depressed

lights are off

heater rear windscreen is off

heater/blower is off.

If you want to replace...don't have to go back ot Mr T... no.. don't!

Can get the equivilent from most places.

Vipes

i'LL HAVE TO HAVE A GO AT STARTING IT SOMETIME - I DON'T KNOW WHAT SOUND IT MADE

.. that seems normal tbh. one thing is did notice is that when i reset the ecu, and clean the MAF sensor... (did it at the same time) it started up much quicker :wacko:

Depressing the clutch reduces the load on the starter motor and crankshaft...even if in neutral ( not just cold weather...all the time)...should do it second hand anyway..as some people leave the car in gear.

Something else I do when starting the car...is not to put my seat belt on until it's started!

Reason being...happened to my grandad...he got in..belted up...then started the car...there was an electrical fault and it burst into flames..his escape was hampered because of the seatbelt..he got out ok..but from then on..he always started the key unbuckled..and with the door ajar...it kinda rubbed off on me too!!

Batteries take a lot of punichment this time of year though..as all the output from the alternator is going to the lughts..heating etc...and not much to recharge the Battery.

Cold chemical batteries are also much less efficient..so it's to be expected to take an extra turn or two in winter as it won't be turning as quickly.

vipes

isnt it just to stop the car jerking forward in case youhave the car in gear?

no... read the post above :rolleyes:

id say cos its cold gordy, doesnt seem nackered to me, all cars will be a bit grumpy starting up

Best thing to do is take it to your local garage and ask for a check on the Battery and charging system.. that way you will know for sure (avoid sh*t fit). Modern bateries these days carry a 1, 2, or 3 year guarantee.. if it's 7 years old, chances are it could well be on its way out.

What options for new batteries are there if that is whats needed?

Toyota is the easiest for us but what others are there?

if u r after new Battery shopping get some quotes 1st. I got a Lucus supreme Battery for £35 a year ago & comes with 4yr guarantee. Toyota may charge more for an orginal one.

Its normal for it to take a second or two more to start up in the winter but nothing to worry about! :thumbsup:

It may well be the Battery has not alot of charge in it though. You say it's your mums car Gordy? I take it she just scoots to the shops and back in it? If it's not been taken on a long run recently take it a wee blast yourself Gordy and get that Battery charged back up! :)

no... read the post above :rolleyes:

id say cos its cold gordy, doesnt seem nackered to me, all cars will be a bit grumpy starting up

Yeah I put a post on here recently about our Yaris Blue taking longer to start than normal in the cold and apparently it's nothing to worry about. Perhaps it's just a bit "sensitive" ;)

My Yaris had not been started for a week, but started easily this afternoon. :thumbsup:

(With my car I have to put my foot on the brake to start)

She used to do her Nursing Rounds in it (District Nurse) but now just uses it to scoot around South Wales and occassionaly from there to London to visit.

I have never driven it - Hate the position when sat in it so I don't know how it starts.

She is back to Wales in the morning so I'll get her to let Toyota run a FREE check on it - whih they WILL or else!!!! :yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links