Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lowering The Car, Help An Idiot

rlm

I have a 02 plate P1 T-Sport with everything stock at the minute, but I am looking at getting the car lowered. At the same time I will be buying some OZ superturismo gt's. I did try a search to see what information I could find and avoid a post like this but I'm afraid I could only find very sketchy information.

Bearing in mind I am a total novice when it comes to this I would like to know the following:

What’s the best amount to get the T-Sport lowered by, and which springs should I buy for this, does this mean I will need to change the dampers too? Money isn't so much an issue within reason, I believe there’s at least 2 kits for this car, one costing slightly more but being the better kit?

Also would 17" alloys look stupid on the TS once its been lowered, and from the standard tyre would I notice much difference if I went for the wider 205's and a decent tyre like Goodyear F1's. I currently have Dunlop SP 01's that came with the car when I bought it.

Finally I know arch work would need to be done, would this make the car look much different? And how expensive is it? Do you think its worth doing?

Please advise because I would like it lowering, but as you see know very little about it.

Thanks in advance.

I have a 02 plate P1 T-Sport with everything stock at the minute, but I am looking at getting the car lowered. At the same time I will be buying some OZ superturismo gt's. I did try a search to see what information I could find and avoid a post like this but I'm afraid I could only find very sketchy information.

Bearing in mind I am a total novice when it comes to this I would like to know the following:

What’s the best amount to get the T-Sport lowered by, and which springs should I buy for this, does this mean I will need to change the dampers too? Money isn't so much an issue within reason, I believe there’s at least 2 kits for this car, one costing slightly more but being the better kit?

Also would 17" alloys look stupid on the TS once its been lowered, and from the standard tyre would I notice much difference if I went for the wider 205's and a decent tyre like Goodyear F1's. I currently have Dunlop SP 01's that came with the car when I bought it.

Finally I know arch work would need to be done, would this make the car look much different? And how expensive is it? Do you think its worth doing?

Please advise because I would like it lowering, but as you see know very little about it.

Thanks in advance.

im not 100 % sure but tim_mabin and roth_hm have theres lowered and are running 17's i think and lowered, cehck thre garages and maybe give them a shout.

im lowered by 40, but running 15's

you can lower up to 40mm without changing the dampers, that is unless you want to change them aswell.

Tein springs are very good and i'm sure they do coilovers (ajustable dampers) for the yaris.

Eibach are pretty good aswell but only lower 30mm, the teins will lower 38mm rear and 35mm front, to balance the look of the car.

as for the 17" wheels they will more than likely scrub, especially as you are lowering aswell, you will need to remove the wheel arch lining, I doubt you will need to do anything else to the arches if you get the right offset wheels.

Archwork does not always involve changing the appearance of the arches unless you want that, you can get the arches rolled which will get rid of the lip on the inside where you will not see it.

Thanks for the quick replies, would I gain anything from buying some new dampers too? Would just like to increase the cars ability around corners, but its a perfect excuse for some nice alloys at the same time.

Yes dampers are like shock absorbers. They are slightly bouncy on your tsport to give a more comfy ride. However if you buy aftermarket ones there are harder and so less comfy ride BUT increased cornering as the car should roll less.

Coilovers are the best, but most expensive solution. They are a spring and damper in one unit. The advantage with the "Tein basic coilover kit" (available from Envy performance with a nice discount if you become a gold member) is it is height adjustable (change the distance your car is lowered by). However unlike more expensive coilovers the damper rate/hardness is not adjustable but is instead preset (which is fine unless you want completely custom track suspension). This coilover set retails at around £646.25 from Envy (but with gold you can get a 10% discount)

If its cornering your improving i would also look into strut braces. People on here have recommended them as the cheapest quickest and very effective mod to improve handling. This Strutbrace site sells OMP braces at cheap prices. However the front and rear are most recommended (though there was some dispuit over whether the rear brace pins the suspension together in a negative way). The front lower brace doesnt fit as the sump/sump guard gets in the way so your best going to Envy to get the lower front brace (if you want it as it may catch when your running a very low car!)

Also i would recommend 16" to keep acceleration and also less fuss with arches. On coilovers you could still slam the suspension right down if you wanted a really low look. Also if you want the 16" to look big you can always run a low profile tire as, specifically on multispokes, it makes them look bigger. Im not sure on this but i think 17" wouldn't help round the corners much either?

Anyway thats my extensive reply so hope it helped and anymore questions just ask as although i don't know that much about the yaris, there's always someone in here that will know or can source the answer! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply, I understand a lot more about it now, I'm not so bothered about having the car really low, just enough to make a difference. 16" would make it easier since I wouldn't have to have any work done and both the tyres and alloys would be cheaper. If I wasn't bothered about how much my car was lowered by, and decided to go for Tein springs and dampers is the only drawback that the height can't be adjusted? Which Tein ones would I be looking for from envy, I'm afraid I still dont know, just trying to price it up. Also what kind of price would it be with fitting? Tempted to get the seperates and also some cross braces, all fitted by Envy. Cheers.

If i remember correct the Tein springs are around £160? Tein themselved dont do a seperat damper as far as im aware but i will try to source who it is that does it (i thinks its Apex?). 16" i think is a wise decision as will look subtler and stylish when lowered. If you aren't in a rush there was word that Envy are producing some Coilovers (they make parts for yaris branded as Envy (see the Envy section on this forum for a few of there mods such as cold air intake)) these should retail for around £450 i think it was said. Also i think the upper OMP strut brace is cheaper than Envy's equivalent but the rest may be worth getting from Envy. I suppose it would be easier getting it all done at once. But yeah give Envy a ring is your best bet.

EDIT: This site gives you prices but all these parts will be available through Envy aswell as they can order any part in. Shocks/Dampers

Springs

There is "suspension kits" in that shocks link but they are roughly the same price the Envy coilovers (adjustable height unlike them) should be. It was koni who make the shocks as shown on that link. They are priced individually though and work out quite expensive as they are adjustable. Its basically all swings and roundabouts.

If your not interested in the coilover route i would settle for Tein springs, Strut braces, and 16" as that will be a huge improvement on handling with lowered height and cheaper. The standard shocks will easily be able to handle those springs (lots of people have the above set up without problems as its only really beyong 40mm drop that the shocks need shortening)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links