Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Coolant Seal Products

Jimmyshoeshine

I have a 1.8 Carina with a leaking water pump and gasket about 1/4 litre per 40 min drive. Would any products like k seal or bars like the ones on eBay!!! fix this.

I need a temporary fix before my mechanic can fit me in (2 weeks from now).

Please advise as I never knew about these products until today, and possibly for good reason?!?

ps.

a fix at least to guarantee my heater always works for this Russian weather coming up ehh!!

also why such a piddly little header tank and a windscreen washer tank 3 times the size!

Andy

I've just discovered my Carina E is also loosing coolant. I think That is coming from the water pump as well. but I can't see anything. Can you see water loss on your pump??

I've just discovered my Carina E is also loosing coolant. I think That is coming from the water pump as well. but I can't see anything. Can you see water loss on your pump??

Yes, my mechanic also confirmed that it was from the water pump. My car leaves small puddles wherever it stays!! Maybe the gasket went first and over pressured the coolant system?

I will keep topping my car up until the weekend when it will be repaired but the link below shows the type of product I was considering to use as a temporary measure, although sceptical.

http://www.motorshop1.co.uk/k_seal.htm

I found it hard to see the origin of the leak but pointed it out to my mechanic. It is coming from the water pump area, others have had similar problems in this forum.

These leak stoppers are ok, but if you can manage I'd try to avoid using it as best possible. If you have an air bubble in the system they can seal an internal gallery, which isn't so good.

They do work though with small leaks. But just heed my advice.

I decided to investigate my leak

The problem is not the pump itself but the 'O' ring which seals the pump assembly to the engine block. I replaced this for £2.30 from the dealer (I was amazed they had one on the shelves!!).

Hopefully this will do the trick.

02/02/06

Pump had to be fully replaced - there was a leak on the lower check hole which I didn't initially see. £26 from my local motor factor.

• 4 weeks later...

I just purchased a Starlet which the previous owner had changed the coolant in - he had used a long-life coolant which apparently works its way around the seals in the WP very easily.

I had to have my pump replaced and am now running just corrosion inhibitor. I realise that not running anti-freeze in Russia may not be a great idea however ... ;)

Garth

I decided to investigate my leak

The problem is not the pump itself but the 'O' ring which seals the pump assembly to the engine block. I replaced this for £2.30 from the dealer (I was amazed they had one on the shelves!!).

Hopefully this will do the trick.

02/02/06

Pump had to be fully replaced - there was a leak on the lower check hole which I didn't initially see. £26 from my local motor factor.

£26, thats an amazing deal. When the water pump went on my Carina E 2.0 it cost me £330 fully fitted at Toyota, loved the car though so it was worth it :yes:

I'm not surprised at the price you paid. The labour costs would be pretty high. It's a horrible fiddly job.

Just spend most of today doing an even worse repair on my wife's Carina II. Replaced both 'front to rear' brake pipes. 25 feet of pipe!

I'd be terrified to go to a main dealer with that one!!

(only cost me £17 - and a full days labour)

I investigated doing the pump myself, but after speaking to a friend who did his and said it was such a horrible job it nearly reduced him to tears I thought it was beyond my capabilities. I do remember the mechanic saying it took him all afternoon to do it though. Credit to you for doing it yourself you must be pretty handy with a spanner.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links