Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Timing Question

ripspeedtimmy

Hey people

Replaced my timing belt last night and my friend noticed something, on the top timing cog, next to the top of the engine, on the cog itself it has 4e and 5e written on the cog, i was just wondering what would happen if i was to set up the timing so that it corresponded with the 5e logo on the cog.

Thank you in advance

Tim

Well if you removed the belt, put the crank to TDC and then aligned the top pulley to the 5E mark, it would end up in the valves hitting the pistons.

But you never remove the belt before youve got it to TDC, and you will find at TDC the top pulley has aligned itself in the 4E position!

Hope that all makes sence! In other words dont do it! :D

IS that defo the case with the 4a? some engines do have play on them.

MX5 for example is defaulted to 10 degrees but in numerous articles by tuning companies runs a lot better at 14 which is a decent jump up...

Have tested the 14 degree as have a number of other owners and found the difference amazing...

I think if you had an interference free engine then you get away with as much advance as you like. However I *think* you could probably get one tooth advance with a 4efe engine and not cause any harm. after all there is probably more slack than 1 tooths worth after a bit of driving.

We had to advance the timing forward 1 tooth because when we put the new belt on at the same timing point as the old 1, the timing was out, now that we have adjusted it forward, it has never run so well, also fuel economy and performance has vastly improved

IS that defo the case with the 4a? some engines do have play on them.

MX5 for example is defaulted to 10 degrees but in numerous articles by tuning companies runs a lot better at 14 which is a decent jump up...

Have tested the 14 degree as have a number of other owners and found the difference amazing...

Yeah but what your talking about there is ignition timing! Not cambelt/engine timing! If you tried to adjust the timing via the cambelt, the car would run like !Removed!, and you could end up hitting valves to pistons!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links