Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changing Bulbs

fatpiggy

I had a terrible job changing the offside headlight bulb last month, it took me 30 minutes due to not having the handsize of an infant but the strength of an adult man and the ability to do keyhole surgery blindfold. I've just spent my lunchhour having a go at the nearside bulb- not a cat in hells chance. There is a less than 2 inch gap behind the electric plug into the light cluster. I was stabbing my hand on the corners of the Battery and whatever lives in the black plastic box immediately behind the light mounting and could barely get my fingers in at all - certainly no maneouvring space at all. I've never had any problems changing bulbs on my previous cars and despite being shock-horror, a girly, am quite happy to hoik up the car bonnet. I'm a whizz at tyre changing! Any bright ideas out there please folks before the police stop me for driving with faulty lights. I love my Yaris to bits but this dreadful accessability seems to be the !Removed! revenge for WW2.

i am afraid that's the only answer, everyone here has a little less skin on their hands from where they've changed their nearside bulbs. Maybe it will make it easier the more skin you remove?

Yep it's a right pain ...... there's no easy answer im affraid.

I would love to know how the guys at Mr T do it?

Welcome to the Club :thumbsup:

Thanks folks, I think I'll have a go with a pair of long-nosed pliers. The rubber sock protecting the electrics isn't much help either - its like a giant condom!!

Ta for the welcome by the way :)

I ended up doing Earpls a while back - took my two minutes - small hands ... proving that old saying all wrong.

Small, they must be miniscule!! I'm only 5'3" tall with small hands and honestly I couldn't even get my fingers in the gap without trouble. I would have my doubts that there is even enough room to actually rotate the bulb to get it free and into open space. My old Peugeot 205 was the easiest - you just took off the glass and shoved the new bulb in from the front. Could this be a plot by car manufacturers to screw money out of us by making us go to garages for everything? Luckily a mate does my car servicing for me and he told me about a Renault model which has the Battery UNDER the engine - a major removal job.

I ended up undoing the Battery mounts and moving the Battery over without having to disconnect it,undoing the mounts on the black box behind the light to move that a bit,then swearing a lot :censor: while changing the bulb.

I ended up undoing the battery mounts and moving the battery over without having to disconnect it,undoing the mounts on the black box behind the light to move that a bit,then swearing a lot :censor: while changing the bulb.

That precise method had crossed my mind too but I didn't have my tool kit to hand. What's the betting the nuts are all odd sizes too :angry: At least the swearing bit is effortless for me. I suppose I could have another go first with a large dollop of vaseline on the back of my hand.

Nope - Im just under six foot and those that I have met will confirm - not skinny!

For added entertainment try it at the side of the motorway in the dark and rain ... whilst watching the police cruiser driving up the hard shoulder towards you!

Nope - Im just under six foot and those that I have met will confirm - not skinny!

For added entertainment try it at the side of the motorway in the dark and rain ... whilst watching the police cruiser driving up the hard shoulder towards you!

Ah, you must have very long fingers then! Sadly mine are shorter than my palm which is a further handicap - I could barely reach and push the retaining clip when I was changing the offside bulb as mentioned previously. I don't think it makes any difference, light or dark though as it is all done by feel - leaning over the bonnet blocks out most available light. Poor you, I don't envy you a soaking though. If the Dibble stops me I'll give him the bulb and tell him to do it!! :yes:

I found it very easy to do, It was my first time changing the bulbs.

They where both in within 5 minutes.

I think the long finger theory is is the more likely one.

I'm 6 foot tall with long hands. don;t you know

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links