Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Hilux Vigo

Vigoman

Hi

I have just got one of the new Toyota Hilux Vigo Double Cab Pickups with the 3 Litre x 160 bhp Diesel Engine. Very pleased with it, goes like a train!! A big step up in performance from my old non-turbo MkIII.

Have bought a S/S 'A' Bar & some nice S/S Spotlights, looks just great, but am having trouble wiring them up.

Lights came with a plug in wiring kit (so no cutting into vehicle wiring). This plugs into the headlight bulb on one side to pick up a live feed for the spotlight switching relay. (This should turn on the spotlights with the Headlight Mainbeam).

However when I plug in the wiring loom to the original headlight wiring it blows the headlight fuse on that side!!

I have checked the 3 pin plug with a 12v testbulb and it lights up showing 12volt is available on each terminal (with the lights switched off!!).

Is this some new Japanese wiring trick? Has anyone come across this before with other vehicles?

Any ideas as to how I can get a 12v swithed feed to the relay, can't readily get to the main light stork switch in the cabin.

Any ideas anyone please?

Tony

Not sure what is going on as i cant see the vehicle and have no wiring diagram to go from so im clutching at straws here,

I would say the +12ve you have on permanetly will be for the HT (high tension) side of the relay then from the relay to the spotlights and then to earth, you should also have a another wire or maybe two wires that switchs the LT (low tension) side of the relay and that you have to somehow get the feed from the main beam to pass through the LT side of the relay.

Sorry cant be of more help mate

Not sure what is going on as i cant see the vehicle and have no wiring diagram to go from so im clutching at straws here,

I would say the +12ve you have on permanetly will be for the HT (high tension) side of the relay then from the relay to the spotlights and then to earth, you should also have a another wire or maybe two wires that switchs the LT (low tension) side of the relay and that you have to somehow get the feed from the main beam to pass through the LT side of the relay.

Thanks Steve, I understand what you say, I know that I need to get a live feed from the headlight mainbeam feed to the LT side of the relay. My problem is that the feed to the headlight bulb is live all the time (ie when the lights are off!!), there is also a live feed to the'dipped' wire & the earth wire as well!!

But when the headlights are switched on the 'live' feed disappears!! The complete opposite of what you would expect!!

This must be some sort of 'negative' switching system!! Beats Me!!

Anyone got any other ideas.

Tony

Well you got me stump on that one and im normally not too bad with electical systems it must be a new way of wiring systems other taking it to a Auto Electricain i dont honestly don't know what to suggest.

But im wondering if you put that the earth from the relay on that live teminal as +12ve to +12ve wont allow current to flow like in the alternator charging light which lights up whilst the alternator is not charging and when it is it puts +12ve to both sides of the bulb not allowing an earth so the light goes out, your spots may be working on the same system where if there is +12ve on both sides the current cannot flow but when you turn on your lights +12ve is dropped on one side allowing current to flow and light up your spots.

Other than that im at a loss

if you are not in too much of a hurry i've got a full workshop manual and wiring diagrams on c.d. coming from thailand. it should arrive any day now. the only problem i've got is that our 2.5 vigo was written off last week. i'm looking to replace it and have found a cracking deal on a 3.0 g auto. is there any chance that you can confirm that there is a one year toyota worldwide warranty on these now. and our insurance company are getting twitchy about cover so could you tell me who is covering yours. reply pretty quick please and i'll see if its legal to "lend" you a copy of my manual

cheers

keith

if you are not in too much of a hurry i've got a full workshop manual and wiring diagrams on c.d. coming from thailand. it should arrive any day now. the only problem i've got is that our 2.5 vigo was written off last week. i'm looking to replace it and have found a cracking deal on a 3.0 g auto. is there any chance that you can confirm that there is a one year toyota worldwide warranty on these now. and our insurance company are getting twitchy about cover so could you tell me who is covering yours. reply pretty quick please and i'll see if its legal to "lend" you a copy of my manual

cheers

keith

Thanks Keith

I have now got the problem sorted out,

the other 'Posters' were correct in thinking the the Vigo has a postive/negative wiring system to the headlights. I contacted the Spotlight suppliers who also had a Vigo so they knew all about the problem. They have sent me a modified plug in wiring loom & now everything works fine.

Refs the workshop manual I have just ordered a CD manual in English from Australia via E-Bay. I hope your Thailand CD is in English as my owners manual supplied with the Vigo was in the Thai language!!!

Thanks for the offer anyway

Tony

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links