Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Metalic Scraping

thiambal

Hi All,

A little advice if you will.

I have noticed a metalic scraping noise coming from the old Avensis. Sounds a but like brakes binding on but is definitely not that.

You can hear it in all gears and all speeds (up to 40mph when I suspect the engine noise drowns it out) When you depress the clutch the noise stops and starts again when you lift it. The noise only happens when the car is in gear (i.e. does not happen if you take it out of gear whilst moving).

It is only a slight noise at the moment but sounds potentially expensive.

Any ideas chaps?

Cheers

Sam

Are you sure it's a scraping noise and not a squelling noise?

Pop the bonnet with the engine running and rev it..... it might be the belt(s) squelling especially if it's coming come the off side (drivers side). They are known to squel and the belt tensioner could be on its way out.

• 3 months later...

Sounds like your gearbox shaft bearings sre on the way out. Its either a stripdown of box and replace bearings or a recon/ second hand box.

This happened on my old corolla at 49k it was the main shaft bearing worn. Then in that week we at work had another corolla with 52k on the clock with the same problem. Just seems toyota boxes cannot do mega amount of miles before bearings ware out.

the noise only happens when you are in gear.

that means the differential on the gearbox is gone.

this means this bearing/cog will break soon as this noise will get louder.

you have probably driven it rough.

i am definately sure its your gearbox.

what to do is that buy a good carina gearbox from the 92 model as these gearbox are very good and last.

the avensis gearbox have a reputation for bieng crap.

from scrap yard for about 80 pounds is a good deal. fitting will be about 70 pounds. so total is about 150 pounds.

the noise only happens when you are in gear.

that means the differential on the gearbox is gone.

this means this bearing/cog will break soon as this noise will get louder.

you have probably driven it rough.

i am definately sure its your gearbox.

what to do is that buy a good carina gearbox from the 92 model as these gearbox are very good and last.

the avensis gearbox have a reputation for bieng crap.

from scrap yard for about 80 pounds is a good deal. fitting will be about 70 pounds. so total is about 150 pounds.

Thanks for you suggesstions. I have only owned the car a short while and certainly have not driven it roughly!

It was my understanding that the Vvti engined cars had a different gearbox from the Carina's - the match between the Avensis and Carina is only with the early Avensis with the Lean Burn engine.

I am be wrong through!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links