Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

7 Seat To 8 Seat Previa

davido

I have a 1996 7 seat Previa, and its fantastic. However for about 3 weeks later this year it will be one seat too small, as my parents come to stay from New Zealand. Obviously we'd all like to be able to go out together on a little sightseeing and local visits. With four children, we only have one spare seat, and I don't want to hire a second car- besides, it's no fun travelling in 2 cars.

So does anyone know if a middle row seat from an 8 seater previa will just bolt in to replace the 2 captain seats I have? I know, I know there are insurance and legal issues to think of, but first I just want to know if its possible?

any thoughts?

david

I have a 1996 7 seat Previa, and its fantastic. However for about 3 weeks later this year it will be one seat too small, as my parents come to stay from New Zealand. Obviously we'd all like to be able to go out together on a little sightseeing and local visits. With four children, we only have one spare seat, and I don't want to hire a second car- besides, it's no fun travelling in 2 cars.

So does anyone know if a middle row seat from an 8 seater previa will just bolt in to replace the 2 captain seats I have? I know, I know there are insurance and legal issues to think of, but first I just want to know if its possible?

any thoughts?

david

Cant be 100% but i'm fairly certain yes.I'm thinking bout doin the same mod myself,if you get any further let me know please.

Not really - but thanks for the suggestion. I suspect it's more about the positions of the bolt holes that fix the seats to the vehicle. I'd be surprised if totota produced a 2 different body patterns merely because there were 2 different seating arrangements - buy you never know

Not really - but thanks for the suggestion. I suspect it's more about the positions of the bolt holes that fix the seats to the vehicle. I'd be surprised if totota produced a 2 different body patterns merely because there were 2 different seating arrangements - buy you never know

No i think your right,i have taken one of my captain seats out to have a look.It's held in by 4 large bolts.It's quite a heavy item to lift out.One of the guys i work with has the 8 seater model and on visual check we are quite confident it would take the bench seat.Being secured by just the 2 outside (i think) bolts from each captain seat.If you actually try it/get any further please let me know and i'll do the same cheers.Gareth ;)

I have the definitive answer - and it's a no. I removed both middle seats and visited a breakers yard today, where i tried a middle row bench seat for size. The bolt holes are in a completely different place, (about 10 inches narrower) than the outside bolts of my individual seats. So that's killed that particular idea for now. Unless I get a coachbuilder to install appropriate, strengthened fixing points. It may cost a few hundred pounds, but I'm sure that'd be cheaper than three weeks of car hire for a second vehicle. if anyone can reccoment a good, co-operative, imeaginitive coach-builder in south London .. ?

• 1 month later...

I have the definitive answer - and it's a no. I removed both middle seats and visited a breakers yard today, where i tried a middle row bench seat for size. The bolt holes are in a completely different place, (about 10 inches narrower) than the outside bolts of my individual seats. So that's killed that particular idea for now. Unless I get a coachbuilder to install appropriate, strengthened fixing points. It may cost a few hundred pounds, but I'm sure that'd be cheaper than three weeks of car hire for a second vehicle. if anyone can reccoment a good, co-operative, imeaginitive coach-builder in south London .. ?

Davido

You need to think "outside the box" mate.. :)

Don't modify the car... modify the bench seat..!

Stash your captain's seats in the garage and get a tame welder to weld "straps" (say 25mm x 3 mm) across the top of the seat mounts so that you can use the original mounting holes/bolts to bolt your modified seat to the original holes... the 7 seater version only has 4 bolts securing this seat... your modified version will have 8 (if you set it up right)...

And you won't have to go to a coach builder - any metalworker/blacksmith will be able to do this for you...

A stock length of 25 x 3 mm will run you about a fiver and you should be able to get the job done with change for about £50...

When your vistors have gone, you can refit your captain's seats and eBay your "mod kit" - "Profit!!"

No, don't thank me, just send me half the money you save.. :D :thumbsup:

Jeff

I'm not saying that you don't know the difference a previa and a lucida and that the lucida is narrower, could you possibly use a lucida set of middle seats..... Just a wild idea it may not even be possible.

Daz

• 7 months later...

any thoughts?

david

Hi i appreciate a little or a lot late now,MAYBE IT WILL HELP SOMEONE ELSE but this job i am 99% certain can be done,DID YOU HAVE THE COMPLETE SEAT IE:- THE OBLONG BRACKET THAT BOLTS TO THE FLOOR THEN THE SEAT BOLTS TO THIS BRACKET I HAVE ALL THE BITS (I THINK) AND PLAN TO DO THIS CONVERSION IN A FEW WEEKS.WILL LET YOU KNOW.P.S. YOU MAY NEED TO CHANGE SEAT BELTS AS WELL

• 2 weeks later...

any thoughts?

david

Hi i appreciate a little or a lot late now,MAYBE IT WILL HELP SOMEONE ELSE but this job i am 99% certain can be done,DID YOU HAVE THE COMPLETE SEAT IE:- THE OBLONG BRACKET THAT BOLTS TO THE FLOOR THEN THE SEAT BOLTS TO THIS BRACKET I HAVE ALL THE BITS (I THINK) AND PLAN TO DO THIS CONVERSION IN A FEW WEEKS.WILL LET YOU KNOW.P.S. YOU MAY NEED TO CHANGE SEAT BELTS AS WELL

DAM DAM N DAM AGAIN,IT DONT FIT ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links