Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil Problem With 2003 Avensis 1.8 Vvti?

Chas123

Hi,

Many posts talk about high oil consumption problems with the 1.8 VVTI engine but these seem to relate to pre-2002 cars. I have recently been having a similar problem with an 03 Avensis (old shape).

Any one had the problem with such a recent model?

I bought it at 52500 miles with a full Toyota service history. After about 56500 miles, oil consumption started becoming very noticeable. Over a period of 2000 miles I used about 4 litres of oil i.e. 500 miles per litre.

About 2/3 my driving is motorway/major A road mileage.

I recently took it into my local Toyota dealer who topped up the oil and asked me to come back after 600 miles to check the consumption but I am starting to get worried.

Any thoughts?

Hi,

Many posts talk about high oil consumption problems with the 1.8 VVTI engine but these seem to relate to pre-2002 cars. I have recently been having a similar problem with an 03 Avensis (old shape).

Any one had the problem with such a recent model?

I bought it at 52500 miles with a full Toyota service history. After about 56500 miles, oil consumption started becoming very noticeable. Over a period of 2000 miles I used about 4 litres of oil i.e. 500 miles per litre.

About 2/3 my driving is motorway/major A road mileage.

I recently took it into my local Toyota dealer who topped up the oil and asked me to come back after 600 miles to check the consumption but I am starting to get worried.

Any thoughts?

My thoughts are do not let this go, do push Toyota for a resolution, especially as your car is still in warranty. Also bear in mind other warning posts on this about Toyota over filling when they top up oil to make it appear that you are using less than you are. If Toyota top up your oil I would check it yourself immediately afterwards to confirm the level.

Good luck

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone.

I have been using branded 5w/30 oil in my new shape 1.8 Avensis. Now (just out of three year warranty) at 58k miles, it is using close on 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles. Car was always serviced (by myself) within 100 miles of Toyota's recommended 9k mile intervals.

All the talk is of the earlier cars using large amounts of oil and having engine replacements, etc.

Anyone got a similar experience with the new type avensis?

Anyone got any thoughts on how to deal with it?

Thanks for any comments.

Joe

My 1.8 has just covered 50k and I am starting to get concerned at the oil consumption too. i have 2 months of warranty left so i will be keeping a close eye on it.

My 1.8 has just covered 50k and I am starting to get concerned at the oil consumption too. i have 2 months of warranty left so i will be keeping a close eye on it.

What amount of oil are you using? Mine started about the 45k mark. Didn't use any oil at all before this and now, I'll have to tow a tanker at this rate!!!

What amount of oil are you using? Mine started about the 45k mark. Didn't use any oil at all before this and now, I'll have to tow a tanker at this rate!!!

Exactly the same with mine. I had it serviced at 50k so I am going to look at 51k and I will let you know.

From what I gather, Toyota say that 1litre per 1000 miles is the norm. If ur chariot is using more than this, ur dealer should do an oil consumption check to see how much it actually is using. If it's high they should replace the short motor under the 5yr/100k limit. The problem lies with the oil galleries in the block and blow-by gas. Its normally no4 crank Shell bearings that go first causing a heavy knock when cold or under acceleration.

I am wondering if anyone has had this trouble defniitively with the new model, i.e.post March or April 2003, and if so, have they had their engine replaced. by Toyota? I kow all the stories about the older model.....I had thought all these oil consumption issues were resolved in the new model and indeed, long before the new model came out. It seems as though I'm heading the direction of a new engine when I get back to the dealer. Armed with info along this line would be useful. Thanks for any help. I do note that I have the knocking when cold!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Corolla T-Sport MR2 and 2WD Rav4 also have 1.8 engines . Do they suffer also high oil consumption?

I think Toyota have finally admitted that there is a problem with the 1.8.

Last week they announced by 2010 that all their engines will be refreshed, the first is to be a brand new 1.8 in 2008, if there was nothing wrong with the current one why would they be replacing a relatively new designed engine so soon considering that the previous range of engines was in production for around 15 years, the 2.0 3S-FE even ran for 19 years with very little modification.

Nah, that sounds about right for the length of the product life cycle. If it goes out of production in 2010 that'll mean it's been in production for something like 11~12 years. Product life cycles are forever getting shorter (see your example above) so 11~12 years sounds about right

toyota know about the oil consumption problem

new engine has a few up to date mods

hush hush at present but expect 5 mpg more

toyota know about the oil consumption problem

new engine has a few up to date mods

hush hush at present but expect 5 mpg more

old engine is 127 BHP, new engine is 129 BHP and is direct injection I 'believe'.

:D Hi all, i have a 2000 1.8 non vvti and abviously dont suffer oil loss, i was maybe thinking about a 2000/2003 2.0 vvti next, do these also burn oil really badly or is it just the 1.8s?, thx all kind regards TRIG :D .

1.8 litre engine type 1ZZ-FE with 129 BHP does not have direct injection.

2.0 litre engine type 1AZ-FSE with 147 BHP and 2.4 litre type 2AZ-FSE with 163 BHP both have direct injection.

The letters after the hyphen in the type code indicates what grade of cylinder head is used such that

FE means standard cylinder head

GE means high performance ditto

FSE means the head is a direct injected cyl. head

I have the same problem with a 53 plate avensis estate (see 'warranty question' thread further down). The dealer actually alerted me to the problem saying that Toyota had told them to look out for vehicles with excessive oil consumption. The car is still under warranty and the dealer is now in the process of replacing the short engine (btw - I don't have a clue what that means!). Apparently it is a known fault (something to do with the piston rings??)

Short engine is the cylinder block, crank, rods, pistons (plus bearings and stuff) but not the cylinder head, head cover, chain cover, oil pan intake or exhaust sytems

• 4 weeks later...

just brought a mar 03 avensis T3-X with75,000 on clock (Auction £4827)with service print out, The print out states 51388miles 27/05/05 Engine-Short exchange unit, Does that mean i had a short enging change?

The excessive consumption seems to have been cured! I went back 600 miles after Toyota had topped up the oil and the car had used just over a litre. The dealer agreed to carry out all the work under warranty which was an engine overhaul plus cylinder block, pistons and gasket kit replaced.

After running in for 1000 miles plus a further 1000 miles driving, the oil level has fallen only slightly on the dipstick. Average fuel consumption has risen from 34 - 38 MPG and that's with the air con on for long periods in the recent hot weather.

My dealer was Andrew Rowley in Frogmore, St Albans.

ummm ummm but all the dealers are saying no problem on new shape post 2003 but this does not seem to be accurate

more bad design and bad build again typical poor toyota quality

• 1 month later...

I have put about 3 litres in my 03 T4 and done about 1200 miles.I've just noticed a small patch of oil on my drive. Rang Mr T who said an Avensis uses about a litre every 1000 mile. I aint buying that.

At this rate I'll be putting more oil in the thing than petrol. :ffs:

I have put about 3 litres in my 03 T4 and done about 1200 miles.I've just noticed a small patch of oil on my drive. Rang Mr T who said an Avensis uses about a litre every 1000 mile. I aint buying that.

At this rate I'll be putting more oil in the thing than petrol. :ffs:

Howdee,

Even if ur chariot is out of warrany, ur local Mr T dealer should do an oil consumption check. If its under 100k and less than 5 years old they should replace the engine block as they are aware of the problem.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links