Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

In Car Entertainment

Jbart

Hi

we have just bought a RAV 4 MY2000 which is a second hand import from japan. It has installed a car navigation system, which has also included radio, tv, dvd player, cd player, mini disc player however the system is made for Japan. does anyone have an idea what we can do to make the system work in europe.

the radio works but the stations are very limited since the frequency is only from about 76MHz to 90MHz whilst in europe we use the 90MHz to 108 MHz frequency. the TV we can only get one station but the picture won't come up all you can do is listen in. the CD player plays only original cds and the DVD doesn't function either probably because of the region settings

does anyone have an idea how we can fix this problem. the model number of the stereo sytsem is NMN-W50. i have tried the internet for user guides but everything is in japanese!! :wacko:

You'll be hard pushed to get the TV working proper. Maybe plug in an old VCR and use that for reception?

The radio is easy - you need a "band expander", it shifts the frequencies up 16 ;) I've a few laying about, shouldn't cost any more than a tenner.

Region Countries

0 No Region Coding

1 United States of America, Canada

2 Europe, including France, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Arabia, Japan and South Africa

3 Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, Borneo and Indonesia

4 Australia and New Zealand, Mexico, the Caribbean, and South America

5 India, Africa, Russia and former USSR countries

6 Peoples Republic of China

7 Unused

8 Airlines/Cruise Ships

9 Expansion (often used as region free)

But I think the TV will have issues with the frequency diff between sound/picture.

I think in the UK it's a 1mhz diff, and for Japan it's a .5 diff (or something like that). Meaning you can tune in either sound OR picture.

A quick google of UK TV's

sound at 6MHz FM, and a colour subcarrier of 4.43MHz

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/sci.elect...877f6ff9eb80679

dvd should work

radio - band expander £10 or so

TV, You need a Modulator, as bibbs says an old vcr could be used or you can buy a Modulator on it's own. Will need to ouput in the correct format though.

CD - Try burning "backups" at a lower speed or on higher qulaity discs - other than that it's probably tough luck unless you take the thing apart and tweak the pot on the laser

• 3 years later...

Hey,

I just brought a Japanese Corolla Fielder S, It has the same NMN-W50 Navi/CD/Mini Disc/Jap FM feq in it....

Just wondering what you ended up doing with yours? Band expander? or did you pull it out, and replace it with something else....

Hows your CD player? Does yours play CD-Rs (burnt discs)?, mine only plays original CDs....

Did you ever get the Navigation to work.... It runs off DVD-Rom...

Cheers

Hey,

I just brought a Japanese Corolla Fielder S, It has the same NMN-W50 Navi/CD/Mini Disc/Jap FM feq in it....

Just wondering what you ended up doing with yours? Band expander? or did you pull it out, and replace it with something else....

Hows your CD player? Does yours play CD-Rs (burnt discs)?, mine only plays original CDs....

Cheers

The thread is over 3 years old, and the origional poster has 1 post (so never replied).

I doubt you'll get a reply.

Hey,

Cheers

The thread is over 3 years old, and the origional poster has 1 post (so never replied).

I doubt you'll get a reply.

Theres always hope..... Use the force young Bibbs

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links