Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Tyre PSI ?

SOD

All the mechanics, tyre fitters, garage owners etc that I know, take great pride in knowing that their instruments are accurate and regularly calibrated.  
Pressure gauges have to be accurate, there are regulations in place to ensure that they are.  There are tolerances set in law that they have to conform to.
Also, it’s important as they have to interact with TPMS systems.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Plus tyre fitters gauges aren’t very accurate. 

Say that to any tyre fitter and you’ll soon be put straight.  Most of them take pride in knowing that their instruments are accurate.

16 minutes ago, Stivino said:

Say that to any tyre fitter and you’ll soon be put straight.  Most of them take pride in knowing that their instruments are accurate.

Hahah, ok they do but that I have exactly from a tyre fitter, a friend of mine who works at reputable garage. 👍

Ehh not any tyre fitter; The place I go for cheap tyres I'm pretty sure haven't had anything calibrated since they opened :laugh: 

But it's a sign of a good place vs a bad place on how much pride they take in their tools.

My michelin foot pump reads about 2psi higher than the TPMS.

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

I don’t think any dealer will do tyres pressure check and adjust or if they do they never set them correctly, even when I buy new set of tyres all 4 corners comes with different pressures and all over.  Best to have a quality tyre pressure gauge and a compressor and do them yourself at home on cold before start driving the car. 

It's part of the dealer service so they should at least check them - Even with my services at Jemca they always list tyre pressure, tread depth and brake thickness on the service sheet, and it is accurate and not just made up! They even used to do the space saver when they first opened, but have been slacking off that in the past few years and just leaving it blank (Not that I mind - It saves me having to take my tools out the boot before servicing :laugh: )

5 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Cyker I wonder * if there is a good visual way of judging tyre pressure effect? 

Driving slowly over firm wet sand and measuring tread depth perhaps. 

I used to draw a line of chalk across the face of the tyre and then looked at how evenly it had rubbed off, but you can just use a depth gauge at different parts of the tyre to see what the wear is like too.

• Like 2

One thing to note, there are a lots of regulations, a lots code practices, a lots rules written on paper, but how many follow and fulfil its another question. 
I have been long enough in the trade to know and seen a lot. But don’t take my word for it, next time when you go home after new tyres fitted or after a dealer service, wait 1 hr and check your tyre pressures, I am positive they will be all over. 👍🙂

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hahah, ok they do but that I have exactly from a tyre fitter, a friend of mine who works at reputable garage. 👍

Are you suggesting that you have a tyre fitter friend, who works in a reputable garage, that uses uncalibrated equipment?

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

My michelin foot pump reads about 2psi higher than the TPMS.

Only thing is now accurate is TPMS? It isn't intended to provide management of tyre pressures but only to warn of a potential substantial loss of pressure in one of more tyres (ie in the region of a 25% loss).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Only thing is now accurate is TPMS?

Indeed!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links