Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Led Position Lights, Turnlights And Stop Lights

Alberto Michelatti

Hi!

I would like to replace my position lights, turnlights and stop lights with the new white led-type ones. I find this solution very attractive and technological (the on-off time is instantaneous) and, moreover, for the life of the car you don't have to replace the lights.

Questions:

1) has anyone ever done this job on a Avensis '03?

2) what is the best make between Polarg, Piaa and Ohinata?

3) what is the most suitable model for the position lights? and for the stop lights?

4) what is the wattage of the position lights (the rear position lights of the Avensis '03 have nine light bulbs each one), turnlights and stop lights?

Thanks in advance for every suggestion!

nofear.gif

Alberto.

The problem with LED's is that they do not have the intensity of light as a halogen bulb. I have installed LED's for rear number plate lighting (which works well) and front parking lights. The front leds are an ultrabright 6 led wide configuration but cannot be seen as well during daytime as halogens. I stalled then to compliment the HID system of the headlights. Got all LED's from www.ultraleds.co.uk.

I wouldn't use LEDs for rear lights, braking lights or indicators. Bosjno on here has tried the led indicators but it didn't work out well.

The rear position lights are 5W as far as I remember but you do not have 9 bulbs. There are 3 bulbs in a triangular configuration and the light cluster gives the impression of having more.

Have a look on ultraleds and basically try a few to see which ones work best for you.

Bosjno on here has tried the led indicators but it didn't work out well.

Yap, I've tried and kept on trying and finally gave it up.

Problem Nº 1: Intensity is much lower. I've tried many different brands, different quantity of led's per bulb, different intensity... Each one of them was very low intensity, compared with usual bulbs. I wouldn't risk having them for stop lights or turning signs. Give a look at last version of BMW Series 3. You'll see that stop lights are led's. But, the whole light is different. It's specialy designed base with led's and not just simple replacement led-bulb.

Problem Nº 2: If you want it for turning signs, consuming power is different. One bulb in front or back turning sign is 21W consuming. With that power, when it's on, it gives certain electrical resistance. Led bulb (as I measured) gives arround 2W. So, your system will understand that you have broken bulb, because resistance is not high enough. Because of that, turning sign will start flashing very fast. There is solution. There are special resistors made for that, so you have to connect them in paralel connection with bulb. They are like 5cm long and 1cm thick. If you are doing front turning signes, where are you going to put them to avoid water to get there? They get hot so you can't cover them...

So, it's not worth doing all of that to get turning signs low intensity and almost invisible during a day. Brakelights don't need resistors but would still be very low intensity.

I've tried all and it was just money thrown away (many led-bulbs, resistors...) and now I'm back to beginning. Only thing I managed well is front turning signes bulbs changed to Philips Silver Vision 21W to avoid that yellow effect in headlights. Also took me a lot of different brands. They get hot, give low light etc. Only this one doesn't get hot and give very high intensity light.

Good luck

Hi aven_man and Bosnjo,

thank you for all your kind advices and suggestions.

I have picked-up some info around and I have decided not to use leds for rear lights, braking lights and indicators.

The reasons for this decision are that:

1) in Italy it's strictly forbidden by law to use light bulbs different in color and type from the approved original ones;

2) using led-type indicators the on-off frequency accelerate, so you have to modify the relais;

3) led-type bulbs can't be seen as well during daytime as normal ones, because the light is projected only forward.

nofear.gif

Alberto.

P.S. for aven_man: you were right about the three bulbs per each rear position light, I have checked the owner's manual.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links