Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Blown Motor :-(

93yotatrk

Here's the deal. I blew the motor in my 1993 toyota truck, the legendary 22RE. From what I can tell...the rod on piston 4 broke and made a nice little U shaped hole in my block. Now, Obvious choice is motor swap. I've heard alot about successful 4.3 Chevy V6s and Chevy 350's. I wanted to go back to my beloved 22RE.....but i don't have 3 grand to spend right now. You ask,"What about those chevy motors'?", I reply," I have alot of drag racing friends who have spare motors." Now, has anyone done a motor swap along these lines or am I just attempting something that I will end up regretting down the road? Truck specs are as follows: 1993 Toyota Pick-up; Blown 4 cyl 22RE; 4wd; Reg Cab; 33in Buckshots; 5 speed manual; Cruise Control; Stock Lift; Stock gears. Any help is much appreciated, for the simple fact, I've never done a motor swap, and any insight into this is only positive for me.

:thumbsup: If you're wondoring how I managed to blow it..........Not sure. All I know is I was on the interstate, 4th gear, about 2500 RPM.......BOOOM. Thats' all she wrote. Kinda feel bad about that WHITE honda civic behind me.......poor lil guy had a nice black front end and I think he still has my piston.....

I guess I'll give a better description of my truck. Besides what I already stated. When I first got it, the bench seat had to go. So, I fabricated some seat brackets and slammed buckets seats out of an 03 Mazda B3000 in there, fabric, reclining with a center console. Instantly comfortable. Next, sound system. Obviously, a reg cab 'yota has LIMITED room. Despite this problem, I managed to fit 2 Kicker Comp 10's, amp, each door has a 6 1/2 in alphasonic speaker/tweeter combo. Aftermarket rims, I'm not sure what they are because they came with the truck, but, they will do for now. Billet grille, shaved tailgate handle, sunroof, shaved those little plastic things in front of the rear fender well, I'm guessing rock gaurds? A pair of KC spotlights on the front, with a pair of 55 watt ion coated fog lights cut and fit into the valance. Paint, it is primer right now because I haven't decide what color or design to go with. And, last but not least, a rollpan on the rear. And yes, I go offroad with it....sometimes I wish i never did.......*Flashback on the 600 dollar mass air flow sensor I destroyed with water damage.* Well, gotta pay to play right? :thumbsup:

A popular swap in Australia is the GM Holden V6 .I cant remember if its a Buick or Chev but it really makes them get up and go and fits in with nicely with an adapter kit.

It does take some work to resolve the cooling issues though.

The 2LT turbo dioesel will also fit straight in with little modification but these are probably a bit uncommon your way.

I think the V8 are a little big and heavy for the Hilux.

Try the Toyota guys on OuterLimits 4x4. There is quite a few aussie owners there that have done the V6 swap and know which kits are best.

I have also seen the 5.0 Ford fitted in there with some work but the owner has driven it across australia without any problems and good fuel economy

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links