Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Paseo Info

Paseojarv

hiya, now as the name suggests, i want to be a paseo know it all, as riko's avatar mensions!!!

so riko, you can let a load of info across if you like!! i have the brochure but it doesn't tell you much about the general not every day knowledge!!!

also, i have a website, mostly Paseos, some humour,

www.seosite.piczo.com

CHEERS BUDZ

SJ

what you need to know? and its just a catalogue for now...it will eventually turn into a paseo/cynos handbook

Well, where to start, this is just a little summary really...well i believe the car was released in 1991, as a 1992 model in america, with production ending officially in 1999, 1998 in america. the 1st gen model was produced from 1991 - 1995 except for in japan, where the 2nd gen cynos was released in 1995. This fact could be why the 1995 model year toyota paseo in america had the mechanicals of the 2nd gen american paseo combined with the gen 1 body. in 1997 the convertible variant of the gen2 was sold, the cars being converted by a firm in california, i forget the name. largely developed as an economical, cheap sporty car (not sports), it was pretty much a rebodied toyota starlet, which also shared the same basic architecture as the tercel, sera, ee90 corolla (i think thats the one?). as such the paseo came in different versions in different continents - the americans made do with just a " paseo "...in the uk we got the si, galliano and st, the si having a better spec and the galliano being a limited edition si in yellow with bigger wheels, and in europe they got the GT. japan got two variations, the cynos alpha (lesser powered model) and the cynos beta (higher powered model), and both came with trim packages, juno for the alpha and v-package for the beta. several options available only in japan included woodtrim, climate control, lsd, naviagation system etc...

Only 3 primary engines were offered with the car, though some came in different states of tune, the engines being the 4efe, 5efe and 5efhe. the el44 paseo / cynos got the more powerful variants of the respective engines, so america got the 100bhp 5efe and japan etc got the 115bhp 5efhe. the 2nd gen paseo in america got the 93bhp distributorless 5efe, whereas europe got the 89bhp 5efe with distributor and the 2nd gen cynos had the 110bhp 5efhe or an 85bhp 4efe - in general the el54 engines were tuned for more torque, and with the exception of the cynos beta, had a lower rev limit (5600rpm as opposed to 6800rpm). engine-wise, they all pretty much share the same block, the 4efe is slightly shorter (hence smaller capacity) and the 5efhe is basically a "hotted up" version of the 5efe, with slightly more aggressive cams, better flowing head/exhaust manifold, bigger tb, stronger internals, more aggressive mapping, higher compression ratio and dual stage intake manifold if fitted (primarily adds mid-range torque) - oh, and the highest rev limit of any naturally aspirated e-series engine (7300rpm). as for its sporting pretentions, the paseo/cynos didnt really live upto the promise - making do with macpherson fronts and torsion bar rear suspension, the handling is " safe " if anything, but the ride is kind of rudimentary and not very compliant. even with the optional lsd on the cynos, the experience is little more exciting. however, being light the cars are relatively nimble, though grip is usually found wanting early, and body control deteriorates at speed...and steering feel is fairly non-existant, but the steering is direct enough.

some basic performance stats (uk paseo):

power - 89bhp @ 4600rpm (i think)

torque - 96lb/ft @ ????rpm

0-60 - 11.2secs

top speed - 113mph

50-70 (top gear) - 12.0secs

economy (urban) - 30mpg

economy (extraurban) - 40mpg

being based off a starlet, many components between the cars are interchangeable / equal, likewise with the tercel etc..umm...the 4efte and 5efhe are common swaps, relatively easy (dont take it literally...4efte especially requires a lot of wiring changes and so on) but 3sge, 3sgte and 4age's have been done. i believe it has a c152 gearbox (manual), which came on the starlet and corolla, and im unsure but i think the 1st gen yaris too? i think this because they share the same clutch. it also came with a few automatics, a 4 speed, a 3 speed and i think a cvt style gearbox with 2 " ratios " ?? i need to check. the c52 6speed gearbox from the ae101 gs corolla fits in with little modification....umm...well...thats my summary

....umm...well...thats my summary

Thats my summery!!??

it seemed to be an essay!! lol, no efence

but it has tought me alot more than school could ever do!!! :D :D :D

CHEERS BUDZ

SJ

Not bad Riko but they do not have torsion bars on the rear, it is a beam axle with panhard rod, torsion bars are found on Peugeots such as the 205 etc etc. It enables the ride height of the rear to be adjusted by way of a splined bar, and yes I am being picky :P :lol:

yeah, i know its a beam design but they keep calling it a torsion system on all the sites ive seen...which is strange. is it just called a " beam axle " rear suspension then?

and yes, im kinda showing off, but hey, he wanted to learn something :P

Got it in one Riko :thumbsup:

Torsion bars are a 'french' thing, if it has a torsion bar there's no rear coil spring, as on Peugeots, Renaults etc :)

ah right coolies...yeah, i always thought it was weird that it was referred to as a torsion bar/beam suspension because as you say, they dont have springs (the actual torsion bars twist which kind of act like springs in a way)...anywayhoo...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links