Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Are There Any Diy Servicing Pitfalls...

curriedb

Hi folks,

I've recently posted about the price of Toyota workshop manuals...as I'm looking at doing my own servicing when the three-year warranty runs out at the end of this month.

Like many folk I'm a little anxious at the prospect of having no warranty cover (mainly due to the "big Cat" scare story!). I have looked at alternative warranties to Toyota's (eg Warranties Direct.co.uk) and they tend to be considerably cheaper. However, they still require the car to be serviced at a garage*

I need to keep my costs down where possible (at 56 I'm on an "early retirement" pension - whilst my wife still goes out to work :) )

Now I'm sure some members out there service their own cars? If so I'd appreciate some feedback on any problems I'm likely to face in DIY maintainance on the MK3.

For instance are any special diagnostics/tools required for routine servicing (inc changing brake fluid)?

Do I need to buy ALL the manuals suggested by Toyota GB - the two guides and supplements add up to almost £200 with VAT!!!

In the past I've always had the comfort of having a Haynes manual alongside when replacing discs/pads etc...so I'd appreciate any feedback from members with experience of DIY servicing - with or without the Toyota manuals.

Meanwhile the car will be in the Toyota garage for its last set of "free wheels" next week - let's hope there's no salt on the roads by then!

TTFN and happy trouble-free motoring!

Dave C

* Any VAT registered garage

• 4 years later...

Well my car's just celebrated its 7th birthday. I bought the car new - and posted the original request for info when it was just a young three-year-old!

Although I didn't get any replies to my original posting...I've received lots of help and support from (some) members - when problem have occurred. NOT that there have been many!

I found basic servicing of the car straight forward. (special thanks go to Les for his postings on DIY brake/disc replacement).

DIY TOOLS

Best buy was the code reader - it paid for its self the first time the engine management light came on!

The £6 I invested in a slotted sensor removal socket proved worthwhile too.

A brake pipe clamp and piston rewind tool also proved useful - when a rear brake piston seized and I had to have the caliper refurbished.

I've been pleased with the reliability of the car - overall - and glad I didn't spend several hundred pounds on extending the warranty.

This year it needs new rear discs ( due to last year's sticking piston!) and a sensor's playing up (as usual!!).

The wheel are starting to go...so I may just be trying out my Aldi grit-blaster before the year's out...or maybe that's a DIY step too far!

Usually, when a car reaches seven-years-old I'm looking to replace it. For that reason it's nearly time for our Honda Civic to go...

But for some reason I'm loath to part with the MR2.

You see I still LOVE driving it. I still LOVE the look of it. And it's proved reliable. Haven't felt like this since my first Mini Cooper...

Looks like I've turned into a sentimental old git! Aghhhh!

Happy motoring in 2010

Dave :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ps Never did buy any workshop manuals...thanks to the efforts of the many other enthusiastic MR2 MK3 owners.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links