Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Squeaking From Rear

CHAPS/CHAPESSES I'VE GOT A MOUSY SORT OF SQUEAK (YEH, HEARD EM ALL TA) FROM THE REAR OF MY PREVIA, I HAVE HAD THE REAR/R WHEEL BEARING CHANGED BUT THE SQUEAK IS STILL THERE.

ANY IDEAS WHAT TO GO FOR NEXT. CHEERS.

CHAPS/CHAPESSES I'VE GOT A MOUSY SORT OF SQUEAK (YEH, HEARD EM ALL TA) FROM THE REAR OF MY PREVIA, I HAVE HAD THE REAR/R WHEEL BEARING CHANGED BUT THE SQUEAK IS STILL THERE.

ANY IDEAS WHAT TO GO FOR NEXT. CHEERS.

Hi there -

Could be squeeky door rubbers, maybe panels, the tonau cover(don't know if I've spelt that right), one of the door windows rubbing against the rubber surrounds or the seat hinges.

Or.....maybe it is a mouse.

Good Luck

Erwin

Cheers Erwin, a little more info is that the noise is definately from the rear underneath.

The noise only occurs when in motion.

I dont think its brakes as there is still meat left on the pads and I can only presume the discs are alright as the braking is smooooth with no judder what so ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Erwin, a little more info is that the noise is definately from the rear underneath.

I dont think its brakes as there is still meat left on the pads and I can only presume the discs are alright as the braking is smooooth with no judder what so ever.

PL1

You don't say that the noise is a "squeal" (normally associated with worn bearings), or if it increases/decreases with road speed, so I'm assuming your "squeak" occurs as you're travelling over uneven terrain...

The rear trailing arms of the Previa have synthetic rubber bushes that can "dry up" and cause really annoying squeaks as the surrounding metalwork moves against them... You can ease this by getting under the car and liberally spraying the bushes with a rubber conditioner "(like "Armorall")... This will lubricate the bushes and quieten the squeaks... :thumbsup:

NOTE: Don't use WD40 or other mineral oil based products as this can cause the rubber to perish... :o It'll quieten the squeak down, but also cause accelerated wear/replacement... :ffs:

Also...

Noises related to road speed can be connected to almost anything that spins... If it isn't bearing squeal, perhaps you have a bent disc cover plate? (this is normally noticeable as you turn and the torque applied to the suspension closes up all the tolerances enough for the plate to rub against the disc...)

Additionally... a loose exhaust can "squeak" - check your hangers for tightness and same applies for the rubber "doughnuts" that the cans hang off - these can squeak too!

Silly things like handbrake cables passing through/across suspension can cause squeaks too - look for any areas of miising road-dirt or shiny metal as a clue...

BTW: My missus tried to relocate a couple of pet mice in a cage that would have allowed Mighty Joe Young to "sneak" through the bars... no surprise that she didn't reach her destination with the same No of mice she started off with... The little b******s don't squeak at all when you're ripping your motor's interior out to find them...

Ferrets squeak too... perhaps you've got ferrets? Or bats?! have you checked the roof lining..? :lol:

Good luck

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

PL1

You don't say that the noise is a "squeal" (normally associated with worn bearings), or if it increases/decreases with road speed, so I'm assuming your "squeak" occurs as you're travelling over uneven terrain...

The rear trailing arms of the Previa have synthetic rubber bushes that can "dry up" and cause really annoying squeaks as the surrounding metalwork moves against them... You can ease this by getting under the car and liberally spraying the bushes with a rubber conditioner "(like "Armorall")... This will lubricate the bushes and quieten the squeaks... :thumbsup:

NOTE: Don't use WD40 or other mineral oil based products as this can cause the rubber to perish... :o It'll quieten the squeak down, but also cause accelerated wear/replacement... :ffs:

Also...

Noises related to road speed can be connected to almost anything that spins... If it isn't bearing squeal, perhaps you have a bent disc cover plate? (this is normally noticeable as you turn and the torque applied to the suspension closes up all the tolerances enough for the plate to rub against the disc...)

Additionally... a loose exhaust can "squeak" - check your hangers for tightness and same applies for the rubber "doughnuts" that the cans hang off - these can squeak too!

Silly things like handbrake cables passing through/across suspension can cause squeaks too - look for any areas of miising road-dirt or shiny metal as a clue...

BTW: My missus tried to relocate a couple of pet mice in a cage that would have allowed Mighty Joe Young to "sneak" through the bars... no surprise that she didn't reach her destination with the same No of mice she started off with... The little b******s don't squeak at all when you're ripping your motor's interior out to find them...

Ferrets squeak too... perhaps you've got ferrets? Or bats?! have you checked the roof lining..? :lol:

Good luck

Jeff

Cheers Jeff, sorry for taking so long to get back but I've been very busy.

Lubed all the rubbers with Armorall, bushes etc and Yeehah all is quiet again. Would recommend anyone to do this anyway even if its just to prevent the old nonsence that I've been through.

Changed the rear/R wheel bearing too thinking it was that, beware peeps £100 inc vat from Toyota for the bearing alone.

Once again thanks Jeff and may you all have many trouble and sqeak free miles of motoring.

Cheers Jeff, sorry for taking so long to get back but I've been very busy.

Lubed all the rubbers with Armorall, bushes etc and Yeehah all is quiet again. Would recommend anyone to do this anyway even if its just to prevent the old nonsence that I've been through.

Changed the rear/R wheel bearing too thinking it was that, beware peeps £100 inc vat from Toyota for the bearing alone.

Once again thanks Jeff and may you all have many trouble and sqeak free miles of motoring.

hi guys were do you get the armorall from

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links