Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T2 Fitting Rear Parking Sensors

windy1

I want to fit sensors to the rear only of my 2005 T2 hatch. I don't want a diashboard display, just the beeper in the rear.

1 Any suggested kits? Autoexpress* liked the Quanan

2 Are the meta targa number plate sensors any good

3 How to get the rear bumper off to clamp and route sensor wires

4 Any way to get sensor wires into the boot/control unit without drilling?

* http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product_test/...rsing_aids.html

I got a 4 sensor Steelmate from Halfords - £150 fitted. That's not much more than the kit on its own, and stopped me faffing around for hours trying to fit it myself. It has a display on the rear headlining with the display reversed, so you view it through the rear mirror - much better than a dash mounted system and means I can always stop 0.3m from my garage door, leaving me room to walk behind the car. The system was fitted professionally and looks better than some factory-fit sensors on other cars.

They also do a 2 sensor Steelmate and the Targa number-plate surround kit. Personally, for something the size of the Avensis, I wouldn't get a 2 sensor version.

Have just had the Toyota System fitted to my T-3X.

4 Rear sensors, fully colour coded and as you say, just the beeper. It's all I wanted really.

Funny enough, 1 week after having them fitted, I was reversing into a car park space and didn't notice the small concrete bollard (which was only a couple of feet high). The car started beeping like crazy, and I thought "what the hell's wrong with the system ?". Anyway, luckily I had stopped the car and went round the back to see what all the fuss was about, and my rear bumper was about 15 inches from the bollard. Would probably made quite a mess. - I quickly learned to trust the sensors. :blink:

Obviously the Toyota ones aren't cheap, and there are as good units cheaper elsewhere, but I wanted the warranty on the paintwork intact and generally couldn't be bothered shopping around :P

I think they have paid for themselves already. Highly recommended.

Cheers

Andrew

Fitted some on Saturday to my 53 T-Spirit hatch.

I strongly recommend you download the Accessory Installation Manual from http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com. It includes templates you can cut out and stick to your bumper before drilling, which takes all the guesswork out of it, and makes sure you avoid the metal beam behind the bumper.

There are removable grommits behind the bumper near the wheel arches, but my sensors didn't have long enough wires so I had to drill, no big problem as long as you seal it afterwards. Plus, no need to remove the bumper!

I got my kit from eBay, £18.99 plus £4.99 postage. I didn't want one with a display, just the audio warning.

Sensors seem to be black as standard, great for my black car!

Here is oficial Toyota Document about installation:

Installation Manuals Toyota

Choose:

Avensis

T25

FMC 03/2003

Installation Manual

and in "Accessory Name" write "Sensor"

It will give you some PDF documents. There are 4 of them (Parts 1-4) with title:

TPA, Old generation rear parking sensors SDN & LB

They are for last model Avensis Sedal and Liftback (hatch)

Fitted some on Saturday to my 53 T-Spirit hatch.

I strongly recommend you download the Accessory Installation Manual from http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com. It includes templates you can cut out and stick to your bumper before drilling, which takes all the guesswork out of it, and makes sure you avoid the metal beam behind the bumper.

There are removable grommits behind the bumper near the wheel arches, but my sensors didn't have long enough wires so I had to drill, no big problem as long as you seal it afterwards. Plus, no need to remove the bumper!

I got my kit from Ebay, £18.99 plus £4.99 postage. I didn't want one with a display, just the audio warning.

Sensors seem to be black as standard, great for my black car!

So with the templates your sensors do not conflict with the metal bar?

What was the diameter of the holes for the sensors? My sensors are 23 mm.

Where did you drill for the cables?

Cheers

So with the templates your sensors do not conflict with the metal bar?

What was the diameter of the holes for the sensors? My sensors are 23 mm.

Where did you drill for the cables?

Cheers

No, the templates ensure that you avoid the metal bar. Since they are Toyota templates, it also ensures that you end up with sensors in the "factory fitted" positions.

The kit I bought came with a hole saw/drill - around 22mm I think.

I drilled a hole in the rear panel, at the back of the spare wheel well. It gives you plenty of space to get your hand in behind the bumper and thread the wires through, so no need to remove the bumper.

I put the control unit in the void inside the inner wing, behind the removable carpet panel. The small audio speaker was positioned on the side parcel shelf support.

Took two hours altogether, works great and looks "factory fitted" from outside, and all for under £30!

*grins* All this is spiffy, but what happens to your warranty if you do the fitting yourself or get a Halfrauds chappie to do it? :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links