Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Standard Gt And A Beams Gt

Mitch.

I saw in the auto trader the other day a beams celica. I didnt know anything about these so thought I would ask you guys which would be best between a gt or a beams. What I can make so far is the beams is obviously a special edition celica with more power. I also take it you only get them in white with the red engine and they are a bit more than a gt price wise but how much more should they be?

Mitch

Theres one for sale on here atm, they're very rare, VVTi 3SGE, approx 200bhp

Think they hold money a fair bit better than a normal GT, more like GT4 money

HTH :thumbsup:

Thats a sought after car , pretty rare .

Probarly a touch more than or the same as a GT4.

Supposed to be very quick and unlike a turbo it wont go pop !

Thats a sought after car , pretty rare .

Probarly a touch more than or the same as a GT4.

Supposed to be very quick and unlike a turbo it wont go pop !

It'll still go pop if its not treated right :yes:

I would like to see one go head to head with a GT4 actually, see what kind of differences there are between them :D

It won't match a gt4 - take a look at the torque figures and power curves. Most people don't know what they are, which doesn't help them maintain their value as much as the 'GT4' Badge does.

I didn't realise they only come in white though, can anyone confirm? :unsure:

I have seen them in black, although it's possible they were resprayed but unlikely. It wont match up to a GT4, someone who has driven the ss3 and the gt said there's hardly any difference but the ss3 felt a bit more 'revvy'. Don't know whether engine parts would be more pricey or hard to get hold of because it's rare??

In my experience there is a big difference in 50 BHP, so can not see a Beams keeping up with a GT4 at any speed in any gear TBH. But I have to say 200bhp from a NA car is a feat, and whilst it would be slower its by no means a slow car. My two pence worth! I would have one over GT4 for the rareness of it and simply as it would be a sound investment, but would not say it would be cheaper than a GT4 to maintain due to exactly that.

Just found out that the 3s-ge is tuned by Yamaha!

Also read that as the Beams engine is so highly tuned it very rarely keeps the 200ish bhp it starts out with and a fair few owners have said they have had it rolling roaded at anything from 167-184 bhp! I expect that the high state of tuning means that small deviations in set up can amount to bigger losses.

I have heard people also say they did not have the GT4 in America, which apparently is not true, It was simply labelled Al-Trac rather than gt4.

Not all GT4s have superstrut Suspension which Im sure someone was arguing with a mechanic about recently on TOC.

Whats the difference between a coupe and a lift back on a gen 6?????

I would have thought that with the beams engine, with the higher compression, you'd need 99ron. If somone where to use 95, it'd lose more power. If I were to aquire one, I'd run a tank or so of 99 ron fuel through the engine, and then reset the ecu.

I'd much rather a GT4 though.

GT4 will toast it .. it's a GT with VVTi .. that's it .. 200PS (198 bhp).

All 3S engines are MADE by Yamaha .. (as are a lot of other Toyota engines) have a look at the logo on the cam cover, should be Yami's three tuning fork design .. .

The ST205 wasn't in the US, they got the 165 and 185 "all trac"s but the gen3 3s-GTE couldn't pass california's emissions (why the MR2 never made it beyond 1995 in the US).

AFAIK the al-trac wasn't produced in a gen 6 model and SS suspension is fitted to all gen 6 GT4s but not previous gens. But then what do i know????

Coupe / liftback??? -PASS !!! Mine's down as a 2 door saloon!!

All 3S engines are MADE by Yamaha .. (as are a lot of other Toyota engines) have a look at the logo on the cam cover, should be Yami's three tuning fork design .. .

I thought Yamaha just designed/engineered them, but they were actually MADE by toyota (just like lotus does development for GM etc)?

And my engine actually says 'Yamaha' on the cam cover.

Are they not Sister companies or something?

Where Honda does everything from sewing machines to super cars all under one name, I think Toyota does under different names ..

(But then Acura is supposed to be getting a Japan debut soon, similar to Lexus).

From what I can gather, Toyota and Yamaha were different companies which used to share expertise with one another and produced together certain engines. Toyota then bought a share in Yamaha and vice versa so they are seperate companies but with vested interests!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links