Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Old Rav 4 Vs Honda Crv And Petrol Or Diesel?

fmttm71

Hi newbie here

I'm looking at shifting from my Picasso to a SUV and have narrowed this down to a 2002-3 RAV4 or a Honda CRV. I've got some questions

- fuel - is expecting 30mpg from a 2.0 petrol optimistic?

- should I avoid the diesel, is it really that noisy?

- boot size - one great thing about my Pic is the huge boot - will I still get pushchair + kids stuff and the weekly shop in the boot?

Apologies if all these have been covered on previous posts - although the RAV wins hands down on the fun factor, I need to be a wee but sensible as well.

Thanks in advance for any help

Hi newbie here

I'm looking at shifting from my Picasso to a SUV and have narrowed this down to a 2002-3 RAV4 or a Honda CRV. I've got some questions

- fuel - is expecting 30mpg from a 2.0 petrol optimistic?

- should I avoid the diesel, is it really that noisy?

- boot size - one great thing about my Pic is the huge boot - will I still get pushchair + kids stuff and the weekly shop in the boot?

Apologies if all these have been covered on previous posts - although the RAV wins hands down on the fun factor, I need to be a wee but sensible as well.

Thanks in advance for any help

- fuel - is expecting 30mpg from a 2.0 petrol optimistic? ....You should be able to get this in the petrol but not any more..See previous threads..

- should I avoid the diesel, is it really that noisy? ... It is noisy at startup but so are most diesels. Will you be doing the miles to re-coop the cost. Sure mine of late has had some problems but it is it's first major mechanical fault in 50k.... :huh:

- boot size - one great thing about my Pic is the huge boot - will I still get pushchair + kids stuff and the weekly shop in the boot? ... I would say no to this one. The three door has quite a small boot, and as for fitting in the pushchair as well as the shopping :( :( . I have the five door for just this reason...HUGE BOOT

I looked at the CRV as well before buying my RAV. I did not like the dash too much. Diesel or Petrol choice is yours to make up.....

RAV4 boot is not large -my Ford Focus saloon could swallow three suitcases and a pushchair with room for the shopping. Of course because of the opening it couldn't carry a tv or a fridge. Looked at a five year old ML270 before buying RAV4 -now that had a big boot but didn't fancy potential cost of repairs or 20mpg even as diesel. The X trail has a good boot but I felt it drove like a tank.

If you need bootspace why not go for a Zarifa?

Hiya, I also looked closely at the CRV, ultimately I preferred the styling of the RAV but they were pretty much equal apart from that. The only difference was that I drove a colleagues CRV on a wet day and didn't like the wheel slip pulling out of junctions before the 4wd kicked in - the Rav was much more surefooted in this respect.

Make sure you hunt down the rear tailgate hinge mod that allows you to open the Rav4 rear door to its full extent.

I've got the 2002 5 door 2.0 petrol and it's fine, not very refined but the car has been reliable for the year I've had it and servicing was a modest £180.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

I test drove a 2002 D4-D GX and quite liked it but the boot space and the narrow tailgate openign did put me off.

CR-V test drive this weekend, but I may end up staying with the Picasso at this rate - going from 40mpg down to 25-30 in the CRV might be too hard to take.

Don't be put off the RAV just because of the little door opening - you get buy a US spec door catch (simple 10 mins to fit) for circa £60 and have a full 90 degree opening - lots of us have done this mods on here ...

On average expect around 25mpg from the Petrol RAV's and CRV's,you might get more on a gentle run but in Day to Day driving this is what you can expect ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links