Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.0vvti Avensis T4 Poor Running When Cold

aabrass53

This is my 3rd toyota but the first with the VVTi engine, other 2 been great but lots of problems with this one and recognise many of those on the forum (melted headlights/condensation in headlights/new steering rack/new seat rails /new rear windscreen/ replacement trim in car), but on the whole pleased.

When the engine is not at running temperature I get a gap in the acceleration and almost like a backfire (but not that dramatic) when accelerating, really does not feel like an injected engine but more a carburettor one which is a real disappointment. When it is warm it is a lot better but I am never sure I can rely on it when cold. Does anyone else suffer from this, and more importantly has anyone discovered the cause since the dealers just tell me no fault found when I ask them to fix it.

It used to be bad when warm and I had an oxygen sensor replaced. I am approaching the end of the warranty and want to get it sorted for free.

Your help greatly appreciated.

Regards

aabrass53

I don't recognise the symptom specifically but make sure you take it to a dealer and complain about it (preferably a couple of times before it goes out of the warranty period).

The dealer will either fix it and you've peace of mind.

If they can't fix it then you've a registered complaint inside of the warranty period and if it really does go wrong you've something to go back to them with that might get it done under warranty outside of the normal period

I had a similar fault. After a lot of back & forth to the dealers it turned out to be an exhaust valve problem. When that was replaced - no more bother.

I had a similar fault. After a lot of back & forth to the dealers it turned out to be an exhaust valve problem. When that was replaced - no more bother.

Thanks Desmond22 I will book it in and specifically ask them to check for this. It will be such a relief if this is indeed what its is. Thanks you have made my Easter!!

Regards

aabrass53

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious - did you find a cure or are you still suffering?

Still suffering,

Unless the garage can find a fault code on their blessed computer they are clueless. When I suggested it was an exhaust valve problem they said it would be really obvious if that was the problem. Desmond 22 can you confirm whether your garage found a code on the computer or was it just trial and error.

Last ditch attempt is to leave it overnight and let them have it from complete stone cold

Regards

aabrass53

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links