Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gleaming Alloys

DrMR2

Hi Guys,

The sun was out in full force today and while the car was in the shade, i thought i would give her a wash. It has been a while since i have cleaned her and the bodywork looks fab!

When i came to doing the wheels though, there seems to be a black substance in between the spokes that has beaten all my cleaners and methods of removing it. I presume this is caked on brake dust and other unhelpful substances collected through driving. Do you guys know of any decent cleaners of brushes that i could use to bring back the shiny alloy look (if possible at this late stage!?!?)

Any tips would be great

Cheers,

J

Hi Guys,

The sun was out in full force today and while the car was in the shade, i thought i would give her a wash. It has been a while since i have cleaned her and the bodywork looks fab!

When i came to doing the wheels though, there seems to be a black substance in between the spokes that has beaten all my cleaners and methods of removing it. I presume this is caked on brake dust and other unhelpful substances collected through driving. Do you guys know of any decent cleaners of brushes that i could use to bring back the shiny alloy look (if possible at this late stage!?!?)

Any tips would be great

Cheers,

J

Hey,

What have you tried on them so far? I use Autoglym "Clean Wheels" spray on my car, and it brings all the carbon dust off a treat. You may have tried something like this already though..

My mates got some pink powder which stings your eyes he uses on his lol, brings everything off, but it does hurt! I'll ahve to find out what that is...

Matt

Pink stuff that hurts your eyes??? Sounds like a pink version of some industrial acid! Was it invented for female scientists?

I have only been using basic cleaning stuff, eg Mer. Nothing dedicated to the wheels. Thought i would try and find the best stuff from you guys rather than spending cash on something that doesnt work!

Might give the Autoglym wheels stuff a go then.

Cheers mate.

When ballancing wheels with stick on weights break dust is a nightmare.. the stuff we use is a chemicle called buff sol (buffing solution) it's actually a rubber cleaner, but removes hard to shift grease and brakdust and tar etc. The only problem is, the use and distribution is covered by COSH, so isn't available to the general public, but maybe if you popped into your local tyre dealer, they might give it a try for you.

It is a similar (if not the same) product to this...

http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:VBy02g...uk&ct=clnk&cd=1

Carefull if you can get it.. it will take the paint off if you use too much. (i have never had it happen to me)

I use comma alloy wheel cleaner... brush on and leave a while for caked on bits then wash off...

Works a treat on mine... :thumbsup:

Cheers Guys,

I ended up buying some 'wonder wheels' stuff from the local Halfords. It has brought the wheels up to nearly new! I am well impressed!

As you guys mentioned, after cleaning them i poished them to make it easier to remove next time i have the incentive to clean her.

J

...I bought one of those alloy wheel cleaning brushes,,works a treat.....it looks like an elongated toilet brush wish it could take the scuffs out of my wheels were i have "kerbed " it..........arghhhh

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links