Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla T Sport and electrics

alydee

Hi- despite the handling and driving experience(still addicted to engine noise) i'm having a worrying problem with electrics. Now in these dark nights when i have full beam or even dipped lights every now and again the lights dim dramatically. NOt a nice thought, should they fail altogether. Have taken the car to garage but nothing conclusive. Have already been with annoying problem of an over sensitive alarm. Does anyone else have similar problems?

thanks

:o

Sounds like a silly Q. but have you had an after market stereo/amp fitted ?

Had the same problem in an old car and tracked it down to a naff installation job !!

No. the car has been untouched. The dimming of the lights always happened. then the alarm went haywire. Managed to get that fixed after 5 times a the "toyota authorised" dealer.

In that case I'd go speak to another Toyota Authorised Dealer, try post you location and see if anyone here could recommend someone...

Hi alydee,

been driving quite a bit with lights on lately , and have had no problems with lights on mine, can't offer any help I'm sorry.

Would agree with rhaines and try a different dealer. :o

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Same thing happens now in my Corolla T Sport!!

First I didn't notice this. Now when it's dark and snow over here, I realized that lights dim whenever the traction control kicks in. If this wasn't strange enough, I noticed today that headlights dim for a fraction of second while driving normally. I couldn't believe my eyes.

I need to visit the Toyota service, but any news from alydee or someone else what's causing this/how to fix this.?

Br Petri

Originally posted by alydee

Now in these dark nights when i have full beam or even dipped lights every now and again the lights dim dramatically.

what is the production date of your TS? Problem might have been solved in the meantime, since it is not happening for me either... However, I have to say that our dealership had not received any reports from TMC about any such issues, so it is probably not happening to many owners - try going to different dealership

This is a strange problem, or is it a new "feature"?

I don't know the production date, but my car is one the first T Sports imported to Finland. If I remember correctly, the sales of new Corolla in Finland started in Janaury-February 2002. My Corolla T Sport must have been one from the first batch.

Br Petri

:o

am afraid mine is still doing it. Never linked it with Traction Control though. Seemed to kick in when took foot of accelerator..especially round 60mph a nd 45mph . yet with passengers in i could never replicate this to their delight!

Ordered mine in mid Feb this yr so mine is probably from first batch.:o

I went for a ride on one of the most remote roads, and to see if I could repeat the phenomenon. Daytime running lights are mandatory in Finland (always, the car is running headlights on). The lights on my Corolla seem to dim when one of these takes place:

- Traction control is in operation

- ABS brakes are in operation

- Power window switch is operated (i.e. trying to close the window while it's already closed)

Headlight brightness is in direct proportion to the source voltage, isn't it? For some reason the system voltage will drop because of power demands from traction control/ABS/power windows. I simply can't believe that Corolla electrics/alternator couldn't cope with the increased power demands.

Hi guys

I've now experienced this a few times, it only last for a few seconds at a time, now there are a few of us experiencing this I think i'll get it in to the dealer, see what they'll do for me, will report back soon

Ahhh so I'm not seeing things.

I too have experienced this but only seems to happen when the engine is cold once warmed up doesn't seem to happen. I'll keep an eye on this.

Can one of the Guys who works for Toyota findout what could be causing this, as they might have access to more info than us mere owners :o

Thought it was just me too. In one way, glad that others are experiencing it. I've kinda got used to the dimming. Wakes you up on a long night drive home. Especially when you think you are seeing things. I thought maybe it was when i had wipers and heater on?! But i.ve tried all sorts of combinations. And sometimes it doesnt happen at all!!!. It certainly happens too on straight bits and when i'm not breaking - just normal touring. so dont know if it could be related to brakes or TCS? And it neva happens when i have passengers. Could it be a spook?:o

may i suggest that you print this page off before you go to your dealers this will help convince him that the problems actually do exist

• 1 month later...

I got a dec 02 Corolla T sport and the ligts dim then come back on OK dealer has put it down to faulty alternator the dealer quote was had a Celica in same problem last week about the same age as mine Month old!!!!!!!!! First Toyota NO problem T sport??? good job its great to drive

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

:D Had some feedback from Toyota UK quality department today they do know of the problem and have traced it to the ECU. and will be issuing a mod, timescale still unknown

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links