Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Remote Locking Not Working

loki

Have just spent ages trawling these forums and only found one item that is near relevant. I have a 2001 avensis 1.6 gs, Last night it desided that it will not lock with the fob outside my house (never a problem before), however just about 100 feet up the road it works fine.

Radio wave may interfere I suppose, can I change the frequencies???

Have just spotted that my neihbour has put up a security camera (we are not in the best of areas) but he tells me its been on for a week, also he switched it of and I still have the problem.

I really need the alarm working!!!!

Any help Cheers Daniel.

Daniel,

Does the fob work every time away from your house?

Does it occationally work at your house?

This is speculation but the following might apply:-

There are a quite a lot of reports of Carina / Avensis remotes / central locking going t*ts up. Mine did a few years back and it was a slow process. At first I though the Battery was on the way out as every now and then the car did not lock and then one day it simply stopped altogether! It occationally works on wet days. The problem is lies in the sender unit and I believe its simply dodgy soldering but I got used to locking the car by hand so never investigated further.

Stuart

Yes I can even get almost the exact point of where the remote fob will start to activate the car down to a particular part of the street.

This is doing my nut in. :ffs:

If you have a radio mast in the vicinity, the mast company may have increased its signal thus interfereing with your remote. Ask neighbours if they have any problems. If they have contact the mast company. This happened at my mates place in Essex. My car and his Honda were affected. He got the signal reduced again, the company admiitted increasing the signal.

If this is not the case try a new Battery in the key.

I've occasionally had this problem in car parks with the Avensis but my Carina used to suffer quite badly from it. Sometimes it was impossible to lock the door. It was worse when it wouldn't open because you couldn't use the key without setting off the alarm and the fob wouldn't even cancel it from inside the car!

When I asked about this, the dealer didn't know at first what caused the interference but after some enquiries they told me that security camera sensors were a known factor. The domestic ones don't seem to be too bad but the ones used on commercial premises and some car parks can have a powerful effect. :(

So it not just mine and me dads toyota that do this then. Mine is the same works up the road but not down the drive along with my dads. Even swapped mine with a avensis off the pitch at work that was the same, I even picked up my old corolla from work and tried that, that no longer works down the drive. After having mine and my dads car checked double checked and checked again for good messure we contaced enviromental health they came out looking for illegl radio waves, turned out a phone mast had gone live a few weeks ago. That was conflicting with are fobs. But from what i've heard tho toyota remotes are easily effected by other forms or radio waves in the local area. Going back to central locking problmes on the avensis i knew it wont taht A cos it works up the road B car is only a 18 months old C my dads avensis had the same problem inside light not working locks not working etc.

Is it just Toyotas or are other makes also affected in the locality. There was a similar problem recently around a friend's house which affected his and neighbours cars of a wide range of types including my Avensis. The problem dissapeared about 100 yards yard up the road. My friend made a fuss - involving local press etc - and it affected the reporters car also!. After the press article the problem mysteriously dissapeared. It is a strong suspicion that it was related to a sender unit for an electronic tag being worn by someone arrested locally and on tagged remand. However the poice deny all knowledge - well they would wouldn't they! It would be interesting to know if there is a problem related to electronic tags and how widespread it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Try asking around to see if anybody has started using a wireless router.

My Avensis started this over the weekend whilst in Blackpool.

It turned out that the htel has a powerful wireless router and this was causing the problem. I drove 200 yards down the road and problem was solved.

HTH

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links