Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vvti Problems - Anyone Had?

Lozza

Hi All,

For ages now my engine warning light has been on, originally I thought I had a Heated O2 sensor after a self diagnostic (shorting the 2 terminals on the Data-link connector) and I only needed to replace the Lambda. Well I was completely wrong - Doh :blink:

After buying a OBDII Scanner I retrieved the code... P1349 - which translates as: VVT System problem.

Oh bugger!

Just wondered if anyone else has had this or a similar VVT problem and what needed fixing - is it workable for an amature to fix etc...?

I have noticed a lack of top-end power for a while now - hence thinking it was the O2 sensor, but no other problems.

Thanks

Help much appreciated

Lozza

A friend of mine had the same problem on a corolla 111. He had changed the LAMDA 3 times but the "check engine" light was still on. Finally he changed the AirFlow Meter and never had any problem since.

Simple things first. Look for the controller. It'll be at the end of the engine with the belt on it. Should be a shiney black and gold plug with the loom attached to it. Just check it's connected properly and not damaged/leaking.

After that it's fairly serious internal tweaking I'm sorry to say (removing cam pulleys/timing chain etc.)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

For ages now my engine warning light has been on, originally I thought I had a Heated O2 sensor after a self diagnostic (shorting the 2 terminals on the Data-link connector) and I only needed to replace the Lambda. Well I was completely wrong - Doh :blink:

After buying a OBDII Scanner I retrieved the code... P1349 - which translates as: VVT System problem.

Oh bugger!

Just wondered if anyone else has had this or a similar VVT problem and what needed fixing - is it workable for an amature to fix etc...?

I have noticed a lack of top-end power for a while now - hence thinking it was the O2 sensor, but no other problems.

Thanks

Help much appreciated

Lozza

Sounds like the VVT controller on camshaft has malfunctioned. If ur motor is still under manufacturers warranty then they should repair it. Not really an amatuer job but someone with technical knowledge should be able to do it if warranty has expired.

If the engine light comes on. Please, simple answer - Take it to a garage and tet them sort it.......... :yes:

just a simple question pls...

what is a OBDII Scanner ??? cause it might be useful for me :)

thanks

just a simple question pls...

what is a OBDII Scanner ??? cause it might be useful for me :)

thanks

Its a Diagnostic Tool Supports that links to a PDA or PC

anyone knows from where you can buy an OBDII scanner? is it expensive?

thanks

OBDII interface is around 40quid from eBay

software can be downloaded easily off the net... just google it

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Oh bugger!

Thanks

Help much appreciated

Lozza

Hi,

In this days I'm fighting with the same problem: engine warning light on and error code P1349 on a Yaris verso 1.3 VVT-i.

Taken the car to the garage the have replaced the OCV (oil control valve) that control the VVT system.

... But the day after the yellow light was on again.

Next monday the car will be on the garage again ... and I will post the news.

Fortunately may car is still under manufacturer warranty !

Bytheway, for Lozza: Have you solved the problem ??

Thank you,

Lorenzo.

Could be the VVT-i controller?

But as said above take it to a dealer, money spent fixing it there, will be far cheaper than replacing parts like the Lambda, AFM and other parts that are not needed.

Could be the VVT-i controller?

But as said above take it to a dealer, money spent fixing it there, will be far cheaper than replacing parts like the Lambda, AFM and other parts that are not needed.

Yes, it is what I believe, infact the possible causes of the error code P1349 are:

Valve timing

OCV (oil control valve)

VVT controller

ECU (engine control unit)

I think the fisrt and the last are to be excluded, because the car behaviour is normal, the OCV is allready replaced ... Next monday it will be to the daler ...

Eh! Eh! This morning I' ve received a letter from Toyota Motor Italia: they want to know if I'm satisfied with the dealer service ... another good reason (for they) to make a good job ...

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone.

My Yaris 1.3CDX Auto 2002 has this P1349 [VVT Bank Malfunction] fault code.

I just had the A/C belt changed as part of its 70k service, and I wonder if the connection got dislodged...

Can anyone be more specific as to the location of the VVT plug as Black Knight mentioned above? I've taken a quick look round the belt end of the engine but can't see anything silver/gold.

Cheers in advance,

Fish

The OCV (oil control valve) is on the back of the timing chain cover. Left hand side of engine as you look at it. Should be a black plug just above the alternator.

OCV held in with one 10mm bolt.

Here is a link to the location of a celica one (just to get the idea of what the plug/valve looks like

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250432

If they have already changed the OCV and checked the filter is clean the next thing for them to check would be the VVT controller itself (done with the Toyota IT2 tester)

They can turn the VVTi ON/OFF and check for differences. If no difference/no change then it will probably be the VVTi controller itself (timing cover off usually)

Hope this helps.

Mart

• 3 months later...
The OCV (oil control valve) is on the back of the timing chain cover. Left hand side of engine as you look at it. Should be a black plug just above the alternator.

OCV held in with one 10mm bolt.

Here is a link to the location of a celica one (just to get the idea of what the plug/valve looks like

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250432

If they have already changed the OCV and checked the filter is clean the next thing for them to check would be the VVT controller itself (done with the Toyota IT2 tester)

They can turn the VVTi ON/OFF and check for differences. If no difference/no change then it will probably be the VVTi controller itself (timing cover off usually)

Hope this helps.

Mart

HIYA MART

GOT A PROBLEM WITH A YARIS 1.0L VVTI. HAD IT PLUGGED IN SAID IT WAS A CAM SENSOR .KNOCKED LIGHT OFF BUT HAS COME ON AGAIN.ENGINE IS A BIT MISSY ON IDLE BUT DRIVES OK AND VVTI SEEMS TO WORK AT HIGHER SPEEDS. GIVEN ENGINE AN OIL FLUSH AND NEW OIL AND FILTER ANY IDEAS

CHEERS TERRYVVTI PROBLEM HELP 1.0L YARIS

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links