Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Adjusting "lift"

chenks

is it all possible to adjust when lift starts ?? it kicks in at about 6100rpm.

and if it is possible, is it advisable/sensible ?

ie... adjust it to lift at, say, 5500rpm ?

There was a thread about this a while ago and I believe the conclusion was it is quite complicated and also something about it not being so effective at lower rpm's, but this is only what i've read...

is it all possible to adjust when lift starts ?? it kicks in at about 6100rpm.

and if it is possible, is it advisable/sensible ?

ie... adjust it to lift at, say, 5500rpm ?

I think the whole engine would need to be remapped to the extend that the natural torque curve of the engine would have to be changed... Cam change comes to mind.

I think the whole point of the lift coming so late is because it is there to raise torque and power just when the engine is about to be out of puff, coming in on 5500rpm would mean that you probably wouldn't feel the push as such but a gentle surge. The lift is meant to provide you with a BIG PUSH.

Even without lift the engine is still quite pokey above 6200 rpm.

Its just been one of those weeks. My dash is still lit up like a xmas tree (TRC & VSC and Engine Warning Light), and it seems to have disabled lift for the moment. Toyota thinks its an electrical gremlin and its going in next week, the error codes were for the Rear wheel speed sensor, VSC and TRC units and the primary air injector. So if anyone has any ideas???

It scared the life out of me went I went to overtake and there was no lift. :o

I just removed my induction kit and TTE exhaust and... oh my God! The difference in power and noise is amazing! Before I had a lion... now I have a pussycat! With the induction kit there is a real kick at 6,200RPM, but now there is less of a lift and less noise :( Ah well, it's only so I can send the car back to Toyota to look the gearbox over and I don't want them having anything against me!

It can be moved, but if it is, the car will actually be slower .. it's at that point for a reason. The reason is it's where the two power curves for the different cam profiles cross over.

So if you lower the cross over, you are on the "high" cam, but the "low" cam would be making more power.

You can move this with a Apexi VAFC. If you move it, you also need to adjust the fueling for the change too (the VAFC can do this) but this needs dyno time.

I have one on my VTEC engine, and the power curve was a lot smoother and I gained quite a few BHP, but I like the kick of VTEC where is is.

I dont think thats true, not with the apexi vafc. The shortest route to dropping your lift point, well its not short, you basically need to use an apexi power-fc, which is a whole new ecu, take it to a very good tuner, then have them set the engagement point to say 10000 rpm , so it never engages, and map the low cam, see where the power drops off, then set the engagment point to somewhere around 3000rpm and do a map for the high cam only, with the two power graphs you should see where the optimum crossover point is, and set it there. The guys over on the australian toyota owners club have had some real success doing this, i beleive someone has theres set at 5500 and is seeing a massive gain in midrange power, I think it was in the range of 20-30bhp around that point. all on the stock engine.

What part is not true?

I've just had one mapped into my Honda. It's the cheapest way. The before and after dyno plots (with the cross over point shown) show the dip where on cam meets the other, is now a straight line with the fueling adjusted (as it's now on the high cam, but fueling for the low).

The advantage of the power FC is they'll also adjust timing on the fly, which is great at adding power on an NA engine.

Even without lift the engine is still quite pokey above 6200 rpm.

Its just been one of those weeks. My dash is still lit up like a xmas tree (TRC & VSC and Engine Warning Light), and it seems to have disabled lift for the moment. Toyota thinks its an electrical gremlin and its going in next week, the error codes were for the Rear wheel speed sensor, VSC and TRC units and the primary air injector. So if anyone has any ideas???

It scared the life out of me went I went to overtake and there was no lift. :o

I had this fault back in October/ november time. The ECU was faulty. I hope you are stilll under warranty.

What part is not true?

I've just had one mapped into my Honda. It's the cheapest way. The before and after dyno plots (with the cross over point shown) show the dip where on cam meets the other, is now a straight line with the fueling adjusted (as it's now on the high cam, but fueling for the low).

The advantage of the power FC is they'll also adjust timing on the fly, which is great at adding power on an NA engine.

sorry bibbs i should have explained that. I know it works for honda's I just dont think it works for the 2zz-ge in the corolla, as in I dont beleive it can adjust the crossover point unfortunatly. I know the power-fc can though, and it also as you said has the advantage of being able to fine tune the variable valve timing, which is really an essential part in extracting extra power from the 2zz.

I don't know about specifics .. it's got them listed as working in the manual.

The Power FC is a good bit of kit .. budget full ECU.

I've heard unichip will have the all singing chip out soon that'll do a load of tricks too ..

I don't know about specifics .. it's got them listed as working in the manual.

The Power FC is a good bit of kit .. budget full ECU.

I've heard unichip will have the all singing chip out soon that'll do a load of tricks too ..

oh yeah it does work, it'll adjust the fueling etc, but it doesnt adjust the cross over. Seems nothing short of a full ecu will do it, I think camcon might though, but would need to check.

you are right (like you thought different)

from the Apexi site

Q: Will the VAFC work on Toyota VVT motors?

A: The VAFC currently works only on HONDA vehicles. (No I-VTEC) As of now, we have no plans for Toyota VVT controllers.

I'd suggest keeping an eye on this :

http://www.apexi-usa.com/news_article.asp?id=15

and this :

pe_camcon2.jpg

seems to do similar ..

The Power Enteprise Cam Con is a highly functional unit capable of controlling valve timing on VVTi/VVTLi and VTEC/i-VTEC to adjust timing, air/fuel, and the cam crossover point (Honda VTEC and iVTEC only). This is the first ever VVT-i and VVTL-i controller, designed to help you maximize the performance of your Toyota vehicle, and it will work with Hondas as well. This system is not compatible with any other brand of variable valve timing other than Honda or Toyota.

FEATURES:

Toyota VVT-i and VVTL-i: Adjust valve timing +/- 20 degrees in 1 degree increments every 500RPM between 2000 and 9000 RPM

Honda VTEC/iVTEC: Set the high-cam crossover point in 100RPM increments from 2000RPM to 9000RPM.

Display Mode (Toyota): Shows in real-time the amount of cam timing being altered and RPM or A/F modification and RPM.

Display Mode (Honda): Shows current RPM and high-cam engagement via led indicator or A/F Modification percentage in real time with RPM.

Note (Toyota):This unit will only control VVT-i valve timing, not lift engagement in VVTL-i

Note (Honda):This unit will only control VTEC lift control and not valve timing in i-VTEC.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=23533

For a Lexus link to the same thing ..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links