Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Latest Additions

ae111sr

After the chassis / suspension analysis I had done a couple of months ago this is what I've done.

Take one of these

old_strut.jpg

Remove all the bits that you don't require then add one of these

Seat.jpg

one of these

koni.jpg

and one of these

spring.jpg

Top it off with one of these

Top_mount.jpg

And what do you get?

coilover.jpg

Adjust and fit to car

800_2006_0506_120102AA.jpg

Repeat for the other side.

Then enjoy the ride :D :D :D

looking good how low is that now any pics of the car?

It's still a 30mm drop from standard.

This wasn't done to be able to drop the car a lot. With the heavier engine and gearbox I went through a set of standard Koni front dampers in about 20,000 miles - they are not designed for the heavier loading. Plus I'd always thought that the 40% uprated springs were undersprung for the job. The standard Corolla front springs were measured at 98 lbs/inch and the 40% uprated were 125 lbs/inch. I decided to get a suspension analysis done and found Track Developments. They told me that the front of the car was too low (with a 40mm drop) - the front "roll centre" was below ground level and that's bad apparently and that I needed 300 lbs/inch springs on the front. So as well as having to uprate the dampers to cope with the stronger springs I aslo needed an easy way to adjust the ride height.

So that's what I've got. I just have to sort the back out now :shutit:

Looks good. So is that a fixed damper setting? I thought your old ones were adjustable?

Paul.

Looks good. So is that a fixed damper setting? I thought your old ones were adjustable?

Paul.

Hi Paul,

They are exatly the same as standard Konis (top adjustable for rebound only) except they have been re-valved for the much stronger springs and shortened the ride height by 30mm (15mm shorter casing and 15mm shorter piston rod).

John

what do you mean re-valved?

Looks like a goot set up, where did you get the extra bits from to get that set up

what do you mean re-valved?

Looks like a goot set up, where did you get the extra bits from to get that set up

There are valves inside the damper which control the flow of oil or gas from one part to another. This is what give the damper it's resistance to movement. Re-valving means that the standard valves were removed and replaced with others which, in this case, restrict the fluid flow to give more resistance.

The dampers came from Sportsline Suspension - the Koni importers. Springs and spring seats were from Demon Tweeks though there are other places to get them from.

Be warned- it's not a cheap option. A complete set of D2 coilovers (that's a set of 4) would have cost me less - but they would have had to have been modified to suit my specific requirements. And doing it my way means that I can get replacement parts virtually off the shelf when things wear out. That's my thinking at the moment - things may change :shutit:

does sound pricey, should be a good set up though, whats the general cost of re-valving, just out of interest?

hope it works out all good.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links