Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Electrocution?

MPace

Hi, reciently i started getting shocks when closing the door. Does any one else get them. Some i can barly feel others are surpisingly worse. I try closing the door from the window though when i go to open the gate (manual and metal) i get the shock from there :@

yep happened to me several times mate.... it's a question of static charge build up

I've recently started getting really bad shocks from my Corolla! Didn't happen for the last 10 months and now all of a sudden it's "Aaaagh" everytime I get out of the car!

i get them too... got them before i installed amp.. and get them after too.

i'm sure it's just static though

i used to get them a lot. Found my brakes were a little bit dirty, it seemed to be contribuing to the build up of static. took the wheel off & gave them a good clean. no shocks now. might not have been that, but they've gone now.

Try hanging an anti-static strip from the rear of the motor by the tow loops.

This cured the shocks i got from my now dead Carina

Been getting this from mine too, although I noticed for some weird reason that it depends what kind of footwear I have on, for example: green flash or converse = big shock, proper shoes or boots = no shock???

because it depends wheter the sole of your shoe is an insulator or a conductor...

I think its because of the slight electric charges in the air. Whenever the car is 'moving through' the air it gets charged up! thats why you get a shock when you go to close the door after a car journey.

its same with an airplane, it gets 'charged up' everytime it is flying through the air. It is this reason it has to be earthed once it has landed before refueling coz the electric charge can cause a mighty explosion! :ffs:

yeh me to, i've hung a couple of antistatic strips on the back like sooty said seems ok now :thumbsup:

The stange thing is that this started to happen after 9 or so months and from your posts it seems to be the same. Could it be from the tyre wear?

Tyre wear would not come into it as tryes are always insulators, it will just be a function of the air at this time of year which causes a static build up as the your car 'pushes' throught the air as you drive, when you leave the car the static earths through you/your shoes(if the soles condut).

Bero

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links