Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Type

T Sport 1978

A few weeks ago, i took my T Sport back to the dealer because my LIFT was on the wane. The strength of the LIFT was just diminishing and i was getting worried about the "lift bolt" breaking or other mechanical problem.

When the engineer hooked my car up and took some readings, he found that the air intake (air temperature at intake) was unusally high, the temp gauge was showing normal. He said that for every degree above normal (something like 16 celcius) you lose 3bhp. After a few test runs he confirms that the lift was weak and on his run, it was missing altogether.

When he came back we started chatting about the situation, he saids that the Corolla doesn't so much suffer from the lift bolt problem, and that my car was in good shape other than the hotter-than-usual operation. He then asked me what type or where i buy my petrol from...

I know this sounds cheap but i get mine from super markets (or anywhere cheap) and sometimes i might treat myself to the supermarket 97RON...

He gave me a knowing smile and told me to try one thing before going back if it doesnt improve the problem... He told me to try a few tanks of Optimax and see if the lift comes back. He stressed that supermarket fuel is crap and the 2zzge has such a high compression rate that it will be sensitive to the fuel it burns, and also cheap fuels burns hotter.

Currently i am on my 6th consecutive tank of Optimax and load and behold... The lift is back with a vengence and i have gained at least 5 MPG per tank.

It was something so obvious in the end that i wanted to share this with you incase you have similar problems. I know i will never touch supermarket fuel again.

I use optimax all the time. Works out as about n extra £3 per tank. I would like to do a few tanks with that new Tesco 99 oncatne to see what thats all about, but I will always use Optimax (or V power when we ent on Ring Trip!)

Cheers for the info :)

the actual base petrol is always the same in the area you live. ie if you live in cheshire, the petrol probably comes from the Shell stanlow refinery, if your inscotland its probably grangemouth etc etc.#

the difference comes when the tanker goes t ofill up. the different companies add differetn additives to the fuel to increase its octane or detergent properties. the base fuel remains the same.

I never use supermarket petrol, but I normally fill up with either BP unleaded 95 or BP ultimate which I think is 97. I can't say I've ever noticed any difference in the performance with one or the other :unsure:

Paul.

I filled up with a few tanks of Tesco Super Unleaded and noticed a big difference...the car just felt so much smoother...but my tightness kicked in and I stopped using it, firstly with a tank full of Esso, with which I didn't notice too much difference, but ever since then I've been filling up with Tesco Standard Unleaded and the car doesn't feel half as good as it did on the Super...

im giulty of using 95 ron but because i was oging to pod i filled up with the tesco 99 ron only herd god things about this fuel so gonna see how it goes ! think ill deffo no more go lower then 97 tho

I've only ever used Optimax or BP Ultimate in mine ;)

If Tesco ever bring the 99RON fuel up north, ill be trying that out though :yes:

Is Tesco Standard Unleaded 95 or 97? Can't remember now... Anyway, decided I'm gonna stop being tight now and use their Super from now on!

I have Corolla Tsport Compressor,the engine started pinking when i changed from 3,4,5 and 6thgear.Went to the garage and there was a similar problem with a compressor in Derby.Was told by toyota to run it with optimax for two tanks,then take it back in to have the computer reprogrammed back up too 240BHP as the engine has been detuned to 215BHP for the compressor model.

I only use Shell Unleaded 95 over here due to the costs- the V-power(optimax) is an extra 3 or 4 cent(euro)!

Regular Unleaded 95 is approx 117.9 cent per litre at the moment which is about 80 pence stirling.

This is fair expensive as I remember paying 79.9 cent per lite, a mere 53 pence a few years back.

TBH, i use some of those octane boosters every once in a while and feel very little effect from them

try paying 95p per litre and 100.9 for Optimax then over in the UK ;)

I know this sounds stupid!

Can some1 tell me what the LIFT and lift-bolt are?

As an ex mechanic in the Army I have never heard about this.

The only lift bolt I know is what you attach a lifting eye and sling to when removing the engine.

Many thanks.

Sooty

Many thanks.

It's all clear now.

Sooty

OMG - Just tried the Tesco Super 99 RON!!!

Its fantastic, there seems a little less engine noise at high speed, smoothness in acceleration is better and it has better response when you plant your foot on the loud pedel :thumbsup:

l wont be filling up with any other type of fuel for a long time.

And its 97.9 pence a litre... :D

the actual base petrol is always the same in the area you live. ie if you live in cheshire, the petrol probably comes from the shell stanlow refinery, if your inscotland its probably grangemouth etc etc.#

the difference comes when the tanker goes t ofill up. the different companies add differetn additives to the fuel to increase its octane or detergent properties. the base fuel remains the same.

This is so TRUE, I work at a refinery and blend petrol grades. The difference in garages is additives put into the tank when they fill the tankers to transport them around the garages. Optimax is a 97 octane fuel with shells additives added.

OMG - Just tried the Tesco Super 99 RON!!!

Its fantastic, there seems a little less engine noise at high speed, smoothness in acceleration is better and it has better response when you plant your foot on the loud pedel :thumbsup:

l wont be filling up with any other type of fuel for a long time.

And its 97.9 pence a litre... :D

I put in 99 RON from my Local tescos, really suprised to see it on one pump only, the other super pluses were still 97. Asked about it at the till and they thought it was a labelling issue. so not sure what i got in the tank to be honest. paid 95.9 so can't complain either way :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links