Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

S-reg Avensis Electrics Problem

obsidian

Apologies for the duplicate post, it wasn't getting much attention in the electronics/audio/video forum.

WARNING, long post.

All, I've come across a peculiar set of problems on mum & dad's avensis estate.

1. About a month ago the alarm stopped sounding. Not really an issue (yet)

2. The central locking works intermittently. When we arrived yesterday, the central locking would lock (with the fob), and shortly after open again. The delay would be anything from a few seconds to about 15 minutes. To prevent the car unlocking in the dead of night, I've locked all the doors manually and disconnected the Battery.

After hunting on the forums, I found out about the power windows needing re-initializing after Battery disconnection, but that's a secondary issue.

This morning, hooked the Battery up again, tried the locking/unlocking, no joy.

Opened the driver's window. Took the panel off, cleaned the control panel on the driver's door, relubed, and put the lot together again. Couldn't test connectivity, don't have a multimeter around. No solution.

Took the passenger footwell apart, checked the electronics, but I can't see anything odd there. Didn't open any of the controller boxes, because that'll be beyond my car knowledge.

Latest result is that the central locking will lock, even deadlock, but no joy to unlock, from fob or from the switch on the driver door. With the key in the ignition and the ignition on, locking and unlocking works fine. (although the random unlocking isn't there, but that's because I don't want to leave the ignition on for too long without cranking the engine)

Currently the battery is disconnected and the doors are all locked manually.

(second question would be how to sort out the power window setup, but that's for another topic)

Any advice? At this stage I'm tempted to call Toyota and have them sort it out, but it'll cost a few bob, and I'd like to save the folks a bit of moola.

Any idea where I can search to try and trace the problem?

I've got the workshop manuals on CD, but the CD is at home... (update, currently downloading)

I'd like to get it sorted before I head home on Monday.

Any advice/tips would be most appreciated, thank you.

Just a thought but does the light flash on the fob when pressing unlock ??? showing it`s working . otherwise i`d be getting a local autolec out to help , to many sensor`s to give dodgy signal`s..

I've read somewhere that mobile phone masts and wireless internet router thingy's can cause problems.

Maybe if you moved the car to the middle of nowhere and tried it, then it might work (not particularly practical in this day and age tho') :huh:

@ johnd4d: The fob doesn't have lights on it. I know it's sending a signal for locking, as that works fine. Even deadlocking works.

@ victor kakol: Worth a try, but it's kinda weird that it started a few weeks ago. AFAIK and according to the folks there's no new radio-equipment in the area. I'll definitely have a look around, and when I hook the Battery up again, I'll try on a different location.

Thanks for the tips chaps, keep 'em coming. :thumbsup:

Apologies for the duplicate post, it wasn't getting much attention in the electronics/audio/video forum.

WARNING, long post.

All, I've come across a peculiar set of problems on mum & dad's avensis estate.

1. About a month ago the alarm stopped sounding. Not really an issue (yet)

2. The central locking works intermittently. When we arrived yesterday, the central locking would lock (with the fob), and shortly after open again. The delay would be anything from a few seconds to about 15 minutes. To prevent the car unlocking in the dead of night, I've locked all the doors manually and disconnected the battery.

After hunting on the forums, I found out about the power windows needing re-initializing after battery disconnection, but that's a secondary issue.

This morning, hooked the battery up again, tried the locking/unlocking, no joy.

Opened the driver's window. Took the panel off, cleaned the control panel on the driver's door, relubed, and put the lot together again. Couldn't test connectivity, don't have a multimeter around. No solution.

Took the passenger footwell apart, checked the electronics, but I can't see anything odd there. Didn't open any of the controller boxes, because that'll be beyond my car knowledge.

Latest result is that the central locking will lock, even deadlock, but no joy to unlock, from fob or from the switch on the driver door. With the key in the ignition and the ignition on, locking and unlocking works fine. (although the random unlocking isn't there, but that's because I don't want to leave the ignition on for too long without cranking the engine)

Currently the battery is disconnected and the doors are all locked manually.

(second question would be how to sort out the power window setup, but that's for another topic)

Any advice? At this stage I'm tempted to call Toyota and have them sort it out, but it'll cost a few bob, and I'd like to save the folks a bit of moola.

Any idea where I can search to try and trace the problem?

I've got the workshop manuals on CD, but the CD is at home... (update, currently downloading)

I'd like to get it sorted before I head home on Monday.

Any advice/tips would be most appreciated, thank you.

Power windows can usually be initialized but holding the button down til it reaches it lowest position. Release the button and hold it down again. You should hear a relay inside the door click. Repeat this when raising the window. Once totally closed, press the switch up to close the windows and a relay click should be heard. Repeat this for all other windows but it only works if the window has the 'auto' function.

With regards to your locking problem, it could be a faulty drivers side door latch as they are notorious for failing, normally locks with fob and doesn't unlock.

@ rf76: thanks, I'll get that done once the locking/unlocking has been sorted out. Only the driver's door has the auto function, so that makes it easy.

I've taken the driver's control panel apart, checked the contacts, and apart from testing the connectivity (no multimeter), it all looks OK.

I think this will be a job for toyota or the local auto-electrician, as they will (should) be able to suss it out and fix it reliably. In retrospect I'd rather spend the money and be certain a reliable job has been done, than attempt a fix myself and wait for it to act up again.

The hunt continues. Thanks for the advice!

If the doors r unlocking by themselves, try removing the door fuse located in the fusebox behind the coinn box on right side of dashboard. This should disable the central locking and return to manual locking. Sounds like a faulty osf door latch. They're common for failing on early Avensis models.

Cheers, thanks for that. I've cleaned that side as well, and besides not being able to measure the connectivity, it looks ok.

It's kinda out of my hands at the moment, I'm back at home, and the folks are going to get in touch with their techie in Nott. This way the car shouldn't play up when we're on holiday in France come summertime.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sorted then.

Toyota have replaced the controller box (for lack of a better word) in the driver's door. Seems a common error in the Avensii.

Cost was about £140 for the part, and £70-odd for the labour.

Alarm not working is caused by the siren not working, needs to be replaced sometime.

All in all, for £200-odd, the folks can be certain that the car will be locked in the shopping center when they return, and they'll be able to get in again once they've locked it.

And that lets me sleep better. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the assistance chaps.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sorted then.

Toyota have replaced the controller box (for lack of a better word) in the driver's door. Seems a common error in the Avensii.

Cost was about £140 for the part, and £70-odd for the labour.

Alarm not working is caused by the siren not working, needs to be replaced sometime.

All in all, for £200-odd, the folks can be certain that the car will be locked in the shopping center when they return, and they'll be able to get in again once they've locked it.

And that lets me sleep better. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the assistance chaps.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Got a brand new siren here from a RAV4 which'll fit the Avensis if you interested. Open to negotiation.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links