Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Modifying The 4

Jones~32

Modifying the 4  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the first thing I do to the 4?

• Boost Controller
    • Suspension (Coilovers)
    • Stereo
    • Wheels/Tyres
    • Other (Post below)

Your opinions are appreciated :thumbsup:

Suspension and then wheels are the first thing any car modifier should do! :thumbsup:

I look forward to seeing it sitting lower! :D

Do something about the ginger lights too mate :D pesky indicators , some spoiler blocks too !

Suspension and then wheels are the first thing any car modifier should do! :thumbsup:

I look forward to seeing it sitting lower! :D

I'd do the same, tho this is also one of the more expensive mods :(

What kind of wheels are you thinking of getting? It'd look kool with some deep dish black ones me-thinks :thumbsup:

Next on the list would be stereo... as nice a noise as your car no doubt makes, i'd be lost driving without my music!!

MiKe

What kind of wheels are you thinking of getting? It'd look kool with some deep dish black ones me-thinks :thumbsup:

I had black wheels on my Corolla, not going for them again on this, im thinking white 5 or 6 spoke this time :D ;)

Do something about the ginger lights too mate :D pesky indicators , some spoiler blocks too !

Yeah i know, need some clear indicator lamps all round! :P

I am planning on adding spoiler blocks in the future ;)

wait untill you tire of its power before adding a boost controller , the difference is amazing.

black wheels look like steel rims without wheel trims, if you gonna get new please get decent ones , in white or silver/chrome.

a guy who i met from gt4oc had tein coilovers on his wrc , he frequents croft circuit alot , anyways he said stock was a better set up and that he hated the tein set up.???

plenty of good stereos about , but the stock Speakers are gash with a bit too much bass , so new Speakers would maybe an option also.

good luck and whatever you buy and do, enjoy it. have fun .

Depends what your after really, if you want to improve the looks I'd say alloys and TRD Corners/sideskirts. If you stock shocks are in good condition then some trd or tein lowering springs should do you nicely on the suspension front.

If you want to improve the handling Tein Super Street are good on the track but if you want any kind of usable ride on the roads please make sure you get the later UK spec ones, which had revised damper settings and spring rates for our crappy UK roads. :thumbsup: But if you not likely to be frequenting the track their a lot of money and a nice set of lower springs with good condition stock damper will probably be more justifiable. Else it's TRD/KYB 4-ways.

Other handling mods include Whiteline rear ARB, and cusco lower ladder brace. Also a good set of tyres really can make a lot of difference. :thumbsup:

If your wanting more power first thing above the exhaust and induction kit you already have should be a downpipe, from the people I've spoken to all recon getting shot of the cat and fitting a downpipe made the most difference even more so than upping the boost to 1.1bar. If you don't want to have the hassel of putting the cat back on for MOT time, i've heard good things about the Aussie front flexi with cat that fensport sell. Seems to produce enough back pressure with the blitz exhaust and 3" dp to hold off boost creap as well even though it's a 3" flexi :thumbsup:. Having said that boost creap does seem to vary from car to car so it's a bit of a suck it and see kind of thing :angry: .

After that it's boost controller and straight intake with cold air box. Then things start to get expensive as Adam is finding out :D

Decat, larger flexi pipe & S-AFC :thumbsup:

pop pop pop pop BANG B-B-B-B-BANG-BANG :D :lol:

First get an oil change, new plugs, leads, copper contact dizzy cap, and rotor arm. Good tyres, pads and disks. Get the basics sorted before starting tweaking.

Then get your intake/exhaust sorted.

De-cat, exhaust, filter with heat shielding. This should up the boost and up the power.

Then get a PowerFC and get it tuned.

Thanks a lot everyone, nice to get other peoples thoughts ;) :thumbsup:

Leeky's idea is sounding good at present :D :lol::lol:

I am going to get a good set of tyres, but if im getting tyres i'll get wheels at the same time :yes:

that Aussie front flexi seems good like a good idea, would the performance still be better with no cat rather than a sports one though? :unsure:

Cheers :thumbsup:

After general stuff like a full service...

I would say wheels and susoension 1st.... but as mentioned... indicators could be done 1st and they are fairly cheap.... but then again blocks arent too expensive either....mmmmm its hard to decide :P do it all in one go :D

mmmmm its hard to decide :P do it all in one go :D

:laughing:

I would if i could mate :(

Least this way ill be able to appreciate each new mod i do :D

i wish i had mine back... i cant appreciate it at all stuck in a garage :(

Yeah but imagine how good its gonna be once you have it back! :yes::thumbsup:

Thanks a lot everyone, nice to get other peoples thoughts ;) :thumbsup:

Leeky's idea is sounding good at present :D :lol::lol:

I am going to get a good set of tyres, but if im getting tyres i'll get wheels at the same time :yes:

that Aussie front flexi seems good like a good idea, would the performance still be better with no cat rather than a sports one though? :unsure:

Cheers :thumbsup:

From what I've heard speaking to some guys on GT4OC that have the Aussie front flexi with sport cat, it still flows considerably better than the stock flexi, and moves the cat away from the standard (right after the turbo to bottle neck everything) position. It sit in the straight section just after the flexi before the join to the mid section. :thumbsup:

You'd probably get slightly better flow without the Cat, i.e. just the 3" aussie flexi. But not a noticeable amount. Plus you've then gotta replace the Cat for every MOT + if you get pulled by the fuzz and they run an emissions test which they are well within their rights to do, it could see you with a nice fine and order to refit your cat which is checked up on... :ffs:

The cats on these car really does restrict flow from the turbo get shot of it and the turbo spools so much harder and earlier. Makes it feel more like the cosworth turbo spool up i.e. slaps you in the face while you not looking rather than the i'm coming, i'm coming, here I am build up that the stock four has. :drool:

From what I've heard speaking to some guys on GT4OC that have the Aussie front flexi with sport cat, it still flows considerably better than the stock flexi, and moves the cat away from the standard (right after the turbo to bottle neck everything) position. It sit in the straight section just after the flexi before the join to the mid section. :thumbsup:

You'd probably get slightly better flow without the Cat, i.e. just the 3" aussie flexi. But not a noticeable amount. Plus you've then gotta replace the Cat for every MOT + if you get pulled by the fuzz and they run an emissions test which they are well within their rights to do, it could see you with a nice fine and order to refit your cat which is checked up on... :ffs:

The cats on these car really does restrict flow from the turbo get shot of it and the turbo spools so much harder and earlier. Makes it feel more like the cosworth turbo spool up i.e. slaps you in the face while you not looking rather than the i'm coming, i'm coming, here I am build up that the stock four has. :drool:

Cheers Sketchy :thumbsup:

Clears that up for me :D I'd be happier with a cat than without one, as knowing my luck i'd get pulled after a week and have my emissions tested :(

So i'd need the Aussie front pipe w/cat and also the Aussie downpipe, then my exhaust would be sorted? :unsure:

Thanks ;)

Cheers Sketchy :thumbsup:

Clears that up for me :D I'd be happier with a cat than without one, as knowing my luck i'd get pulled after a week and have my emissions tested :(

So i'd need the Aussie front pipe w/cat and also the Aussie downpipe, then my exhaust would be sorted? :unsure:

Thanks ;)

That's the one :thumbsup: seems to work well with the Blitz Nur buy all accounts.

Quite expensive I know but even if you get a cheaper flexi then a custom cat and get someone to chop up the cheaper flexi to fit the cat, you probably have spent more than just buying the Aussie flexi with Cat also you don't lose you warranty from chopping it all up to fit the cat and you know it's made to fit the four.

If you end up getting boost creap you'll just have to buy one of the turbo technics CT hybrids :rolleyes: , their the only CT hybrids that I know off that don't get the boost creap issues 'cause they made there own single port exhaust housing for them. Rated to 380+BHP and a straight swap for the stock turbo so you don't get problems with oil line fittings and manifold adapters and all that mallarky :D :P

Downpipe wise could go for the XS-power downpipe if funds are an limited but some people have had fitment issues :( , where as I've yet to hear of anyone that's had problems fitting a Aussie downpipe. Well other than getting the cat off in the first place that is :wacko: :ffs:

There's also the Iva Humpalot downpipe that Diceman from GT4DC sells, priced between the Aussie and XS ones and seem to get good feedback.

Personally I'd go for all Aussie, you know it's gonna fit, and if you have any issues then Fensport are easy to get hold of :thumbsup: .

Thanks Sketchy :D :thumbsup: Big help :yes:

No probs mate :D

Just wish the insurance would hurry up and get sorted :ffs: so I can get another four and put all this advice to my own use :D

Only thing with changing the WHOLE exhaust system is you will have to watch out for boost creep which is very likely to occur.

Only thing with changing the WHOLE exhaust system is you will have to watch out for boost creep which is very likely to occur.

Indeed but the Aussie 3" DP + flexi with Cat mated to the Blitz Nur which is only 2.75" seems to produce enough back pressure to keep things in check. :thumbsup:

If he was using say the XS-power full 3" system then I would say boost creap would pretty much be expected.

As previously said though it changes from car to car some suffer really badly with just a dp and other don't have any problems with full systems.

Just wish the insurance would hurry up and get sorted :ffs: so I can get another four and put all this advice to my own use :D

Hope your insurance clear it all up for you asap :thumbsup:

You know if your keeping the salvage yet? :unsure: :D

Hope your insurance clear it all up for you asap :thumbsup:

You know if your keeping the salvage yet? :unsure: :D

No, they won't let me :ffs: . Some rubbish about new government guidelines meaning they can't sell writeoffs back if there over a certain amount of damage.

However, it's gone to a local scrappy so might go down and have a word with em :thumbsup: once everything is sorted...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links