Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Getting No Were

duanedibbs

help me please i seem 2 spend most of my time sorting out my rust on my gti only 4 it 2 !Removed! back a week later. god i love this car but i just cant keep up with it ive only done 6000m in 2 years my bro used 2 own it and used 2 rag it around and not look after it.any ideas how 2 get rid of rust 4 a wile

any ideas how 2 get rid of rust 4 a wile

whether you do it or someone else does it I think its gonna be a case of getting the affected bits down to bare metal(or replacing panels or welding new bits in if its that bad) and getting it sprayed again. Thing about rust to the best of my knowledge is its not enough to just cover it.... it needs to be removed as if its painted over it causes the paint to bubble, come away and be just as bad as ever :(

costly if your not doing it dont i just know :rolleyes: maybe get a newer one?

ill ask my resident car fixer what he thinks in the morning.... if its diferent advice or more suggestions ill repost

Wishing you all the best anyhows tho :) i know what its like to be in an uphill battle with car erosion :(

best wishes

Jinxed

he was still awake so i asked....

he reckoned aside from what i already put that a stuff called Qrust(probably other stuff on the market also too) might work for around 3-6 months... but ultimately would result in the same situation as i said...

Qrust and then paint over = 3-6 months then bubbles and rust

bare metal and then properly prepped and sprayed... much longer

best wishes :thumbsup:

Jinxed

The only way to really fix rust is as said

Some of these product to cure the rust do work quite well if it not too bad i have used them, it fairly simple (can buy in Halfords) paint it on the rust (it works by destroying the really bad bits and turns the not so bad rust back in metal, basically) sand down primer and re-spray. I'm in the same boat slowly doing up my GTi to fix all rust.

I have recently waxolyed the underside of my car over bank holiday weekend, well worth doing, pretty easy and not that expensive, only took a day to wire brush and coat it.

Wish you all best and hope you get her looking good again

Regards

Phil.

help me please i seem 2 spend most of my time sorting out my rust on my gti only 4 it 2 !Removed! back a week later. god i love this car but i just cant keep up with it ive only done 6000m in 2 years my bro used 2 own it and used 2 rag it around and not look after it.any ideas how 2 get rid of rust 4 a wile

CUT IT OUT !!!! ITS THE ONLY WAY....TRUST

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/eur...98/DSC00344.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/eur...98/DSC00343.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/eur...98/DSC00342.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/eur...98/DSC00341.jpg

the full 1/4 panels are still availiable from toyota, not sure on cots but they do make for a neater repair as they join where the original did and the only cut join is on the b post. being genuine they fit perfectly too.

as for tailgate you may be best getting one from a non-GTi and fitting the spoiler on as they dont apear to have the corrosion problems.

unfortunately for the GTi outer panels are not the only corosion areas. i have just about finished a complete nut and bolt restoration on the beast. taken about a year and the car was stripped to a complete bare Shell, not a nut and bolt left on it.

bad areas i found are the rear strut turrets, the rear floor and the bottom of the a pillars (about level with the bottom door hinge)

concerningly there was bad corosion around the rear seat belt mounts (the bottom one on the wheelhouse) in every mot i have had its never been picked up, in fact it only because i had removed the interior trim.

there was mild scabbing in places around the front floor but a zip wheel on an anglegrinder, finnigans No1 and some good coats of stone guard have sorted that out.

then the whole car will be smothered in waxoil to sort out the areas you cant get too.

before you decide to start on the rot, have a good look around and decide if you want to go ahead

• 2 weeks later...

Deciding whether or not to save an ‘enthusiast’ car is always a dilemma. Personally I would recommend in this circumstance (if the rust is as bad as you state) to look around for another Corolla GTi as there are a lot of good ones still about. The cost of repairs would (as in most cases of any vehicle) exceed way above the value of what a Corolla GTi sells for. However if the vehicle has some form of sentimental value and has been in your family for many years then I can understand if you want to save it.

From my experience the AE92 Corolla GTi is one of those vehicles that is either very rusty are hardly rusty at all depending on the production batch.

dawsey is correct in stating about the rear suspension turrets rotting through, which I myself have only heard about in the last couple of years, although I have never heard of rusty seatbelt mounts or rotten tailgates.

As with regard to my own GTi I have used waxoil (and old engine oil) in box sections/on undersides since it was 4 years old. It is now 17 year old and still wearing all of it’s original panels and paint (although certain areas of the paintwork has stone chips). The only rust I seem to be suffering is a 50p size on the passenger front wheel arch… :crybaby: been like that for 3 years! ;)

The Corolla ‘AE92’ GTi is a great (and cheap) fun car but does not (in my opinion) at present warrant the expense of restoration due to amount still about and is still a fairly modern car.

Hope I have not caused offense by my mad ramblings :!Removed!:

…And this coming from someone who has owned his GTi for ages. :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links